Identifying the gen of my exploder (seriously) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Identifying the gen of my exploder (seriously)

Raph X.

Reaction score
City, State
SACRAMENTO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, explorer sport.
So been having for years but everytime i search amazon or any other car parts/accesories markets i always come out with weird results. My expo is a 2001 sport (and no not the sport trac) (thats something i got used to saying after a while) all my search results all come up with exterior parts for what looks like a 02. So my question is did the explorer have a twin baby the same year just hours later or are there just not that many parts for it??

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a 2nd gen Explorer. The problem is that there were some mid year changes, and in 2002 the new Explorer was 4dr only, but they created a "Sport" model of that. So in 2002 and 2003, Ford made an Explorer Sport like yours, plus the new 3rd gen Explorer in a "Sport" trim level.

Many parts sources have bad application data. They mix up the model years, and the trim levels etc. They have people creating those application databases who don't know anything about the vehicles, and any mistyping they do, creates the issues you are troubled by.

You either have to live with the bad parts databases and correct parts people a lot. Or learn and select a different 2nd gen model when ordering parts, to more easily get what you want.

You can order any brake parts you need, except the front rotors and pads, select those for a Sport Trac(01-05). That's one example. The front exterior parts should be the same for 01-05 Sport Tracs also, there are some trim differences among those and the 01-03 Sport(yours). You can use any 95-2000 Explorer Sport body mounts, door parts, most interior parts etc. Many things electrical changed during 2001, so those aren't simple to hunt as older Explorer items.

Start with rock auto to get you part numbers, then search other places for better prices. Rock auto isn’t 100% accurate, but it’s better than most places you’ll search.

We've had similar issues with our '95.

You have a 2nd gen Explorer. The problem is that there were some mid year changes, and in 2002 the new Explorer was 4dr only, but they created a "Sport" model of that. So in 2002 and 2003, Ford made an Explorer Sport like yours, plus the new 3rd gen Explorer in a "Sport" trim level.

Many parts sources have bad application data. They mix up the model years, and the trim levels etc. They have people creating those application databases who don't know anything about the vehicles, and any mistyping they do, creates the issues you are troubled by.

You either have to live with the bad parts databases and correct parts people a lot. Or learn and select a different 2nd gen model when ordering parts, to more easily get what you want.

You can order any brake parts you need, except the front rotors and pads, select those for a Sport Trac(01-05). That's one example. The front exterior parts should be the same for 01-05 Sport Tracs also, there are some trim differences among those and the 01-03 Sport(yours). You can use any 95-2000 Explorer Sport body mounts, door parts, most interior parts etc. Many things electrical changed during 2001, so those aren't simple to hunt as older Explorer items.
Dang. That there is some expertise, and that there is an example of the awesomeness of this Forum.

Thanks.

Dang. That there is some expertise, and that there is an example of the awesomeness of this Forum.

Thanks.

There are a lot more differences of the 01 Sport and later 2nd gen's, I don't own one, but have learned all of that here. Keep spreading the information, and please correct us when we make a mistake. Lots of others here know these trucks better than I do, I just try to help when I can.

Not sure what parts sites your looking up. I have not had a problem getting the correct ones for my 02 Sport.

So been having for years but everytime i search amazon or any other car parts/accesories markets i always come out with weird results. My expo is a 2001 sport (and no not the sport trac) (thats something i got used to saying after a while) all my search results all come up with exterior parts for what looks like a 02. So my question is did the explorer have a twin baby the same year just hours later or are there just not that many parts for it??

Thanks in advance.
I just checked Rockauto, they break out the Explorer Sport from the other models. Not sure what you're looking for, but after 10 years, the manufacturer throttles way back on replacement parts. I haven't needed much in the way of body and fender for my '01 Eddie Bauer though I have gotten seats and interior trim pieces at the salvage yards.

Hunt and collect as many of the obsolete parts that you can, especially items that are damaged by the sun and normal wear, door seals etc. Some is available aftermarket, but much of it never will be.

they ran the 2 door sport longer than the 4d but the 3 gen redesign was very close on the body work if not the same in 4d but the chassees all different. they have done the same with 4 gen front wheel the body looks the same but it is now a rear wheel drive in 2 wd
the sport was fun to drive especally with the 5 sp manual and firm ride still have a 99 but not on the road right now

Man thank you for finally giving me an answer to why i suffered so much with auto parts employees. Thank you plus 100000 👌👌

Hunt and collect as many of the obsolete parts that you can, especially items that are damaged by the sun and normal wear, door seals etc. Some is available aftermarket, but much of it never will be.
Those are the parts im looking for haha handles, knobs, switches. Especially that tailgate and tailgate cover

Those are the parts im looking for haha handles, knobs, switches. Especially that tailgate and tailgate cover

Browse through the Rock Auto site for your truck. Often you can find many odd things there like the door handles, and the part numbers they have also help to find things by the OEM, or elsewhere. Amazon is good for hunting things also, and their application software is fairly good most of the time.

they ran the 2 door sport longer than the 4d but the 3 gen redesign was very close on the body work if not the same in 4d but the chassees all different. they have done the same with 4 gen front wheel the body looks the same but it is now a rear wheel drive in 2 wd
the sport was fun to drive especally with the 5 sp manual and firm ride still have a 99 but not on the road right now
best way to tell 3rd gen 4d if it has independent rear suspension

Back