Idle issue after IM gaskets | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idle issue after IM gaskets

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replaced evap canister hoses. They may have been a problem, but definitely not THE problem...

While I'm thinking about it, are the solenoids/sensors in line with the hose that goes between the TB and the evap canister?

I'm really thinking about those pintle caps again. I mentioned them in my first post, but nobody commented. Here is (basically) what the originals looked like:

smp_fuel_injector.jpg

What the aftermarket ones O'Reilly's sold me looked like:

376b488c689fc96d88461d7e4b4bff0f748d5fdc_xctmpZsmMmK.png

I'm not getting anymore feedback from you guys, but I'm going to keep up the thread in case anyone else has this problem.

For anyone following this, according to the seller this repair kit fits my truck:

Ford Mercury 4.0L V6 Fuel Injector Service Repair Kit O-Rings Filters Seals

The kit is said to fit all models 97-98 Ford Explorer. With any luck maybe this will fix the problem. My thoughts are that the pintle cap I used is creating a dead space between the holes for the spray and the pintle cap (something I was concerned with even when I bought them, but at the time couldn't find anything better and needed the truck back together). My theory is that the dead space is building up with fuel and "choking" the engine. Instead of getting a spray, I'm likely getting a stream. My theory goes on that the reason I don't have any issues at 30+ mph while accelerating is because I'm pushing more gas into the system which is forcing all of the fuel through the small hole in the pintle cap and is allowing the fuel to properly disperse into the cylinder. We'll see what happens when the parts come in. I'll keep you guys updated in case anyone is still following this...

I've changed the pintle caps and filters. The idle problem is gone now. I guess that was the problem. Now I'm just waiting to be sure that CEL doesn't come back.

I've changed the pintle caps and filters. The idle problem is gone now. I guess that was the problem. Now I'm just waiting to be sure that CEL doesn't come back.

Awesome happy for you man! i hate idle problems.. especially when your girl is in the car wonder why the hell is the car vibrating / idling like that :thumbdwn:

Sorry for no reply, but I think you surpassed my knowledge level haha, how did the pintle cap replacement maintain? Mine still has a rough idle and odd rev drops at times...

Back