Still Idle issue Im going insane!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still Idle issue Im going insane!!!!

jman_07

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
This idle on my 2001 XLT 4.0SOHC is getting worse today warming up at about 1,300 rpm the idle would surge up and down a bit you couldnt see it on the rpm but you could hear it. When its warmed up it most times idles low at 600rpm sometimes it idles at 1k rpm. When its put in park it goes from 1kRpm drops really low then bounces up to 600rpm and stays. But when its running you can hear the engine go up and down but u cant really see it on the rpm guage. It also doesnt idle smooth it shakes.

What is the problem and what do i need to replace.

Thanks

Jared.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search for intake manifold gaskets, or 00M12

Also you can try cleaning the MAF and IAC with non-residue electrical contact cleaner. Should be around 5 bucks for a spray can of that stuff. Worth a try to see if that helps.

So i wont go all out crazy like this but do yall think it would idle great if i replaced intake manifold gaskets new fuel injectors new distributor/coil new plugs and wires fuel pump pvc valve. would yall think it would run perfect then?

Hmm did it again done driving put it into park rpm dropped way low then bounced back up to about 600.

Thanks for all the help gueys so another ford Dealer tells me this could be an Electrical Problem i again highly doubt it but it did it to me again... Done driving put it into park rpm drops way below 500 comes back to about 600 idles. But you can feel it shake when it idles there and you cant see it in the rpm But the idle kinda pulsates sounds like it goes up and down a little bit but again not reflected by the rpm guage.

Sometimes when i put it into park it idles right below 1K so a bit higher other times in park Drops low then raises to 600.

Also i think its starting to idle low to the point where its hesitates a little on acceleration this one is hard to explain but when i first start my truck sitting at a stop sign hit the gas there is a very slight hesitation then i takes off fine.

As for this low pulsating idle i can hear any ideas. AKA plugs and wires have never been replaced. Also what fuses make it so the engine runs smoothly?? Can anyone tell me the numbers of the fuses and where the locations are

Not going to believe this but the stealership also told me i could need my pcm reflashed im guessing it doesnt need flashing does it???

Thanks Again gueys

Jared.

Back