If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+)

View attachment 423402
@ jhu8. I'm curious as to where you got that quote by Crimithy as I don't see it anywhere. It does,however, look like an edited quote of his.

Peter
What do you mean? I just quoted what he said.

3BF27A1D-BB12-4290-8543-2BC7D5B69061.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 423402
@ jhu8. I'm curious as to where you got that quote by Crimithy as I don't see it anywhere. It does,however, look like an edited quote of his.

Peter
I just went back and looked. They changed it and covered themselves up from their comment.

You haven't been in a Jeep product in the past few years, if you have and you think the build quality is better in the Explorer Im going to look up some Optometrists in your area.

Like many here I dont hate my ST, I actually really enjoy it, but the Jeep doesn't suffer from the silly incompetent engineering issues the Explorer has, which in turn cause owners to say WTF am I paying $55-$60 to have issues when I can spend the same and have no issues.

After the My Ford Touch debacle that quite literally sunk Ford QC and Owner ratings one would expect that the replacement to MFT would be an industry leading best of show multimedia system, but no it's almost just as poorly executed. U-Connect is the gold standard of multimedia systems, SYNC3 isn't even close.

Those that say SYNC3 is rock solid for them are for the most part "Simple Users".....never do anything with the system but radio on/off, maybe look at the map once a drive. A technically astute owner likes to leverage connected devices, voice commands, message dictation, voice mapping, cellular call audio. Those Users are frustrated at never ending QC issues.

The Jeep doesn't have a poorly executed wireless charging pad that only fits the smaller smartphones on the market, and then if your phone happens to be one of the few that does fit the wireless connection is broken with hard braking because the phone falls forward.

The Jeep doesnt have multiple recalls or QC issues or part failures, or wind noises, or missing parts, or uneven exterior body panels.

Have a look at the new 2022 Jeep it's even nicer than the 2021, and U-Connect 5 is now the system to beat.
Yeah the new jeep looks worlds better inside wise. Outside, it’s okay. I can’t comment on uconnect. But sync 3 in my 2017 explorer, is completely fine and gives me no issues.

You’re right, I haven’t been a jeep from the last couple of years. People complained about the 5th gen interior and I think it’s actually very nice. I gave my 16 cx5 to my wife which is highly praised for its quality and yes. It is very nice. Not really anymore than my explorer though imo. I think people just read and believe everything they see on the internet and get mindsets that are set.

Currently have a Jeep GC Limited for rental as my Platinum is getting the backup camera recall done among other small issues.

It's a great SUV no doubt, and yes, Dodge's UI is the best in the market hands down! Far as driving experience, compared to my Platinum, I'll take my Platinum anyday over the Limited. Not that the GC is bad, the Platinum just drives smoother, brakes better, more comfortable and obviously faster yet very similar MPG. Being a 7 seater makes the icing on the cake. I do enjoy the better speakers, better UI and some nicer details on the Jeep but not enough to sway me over the Platinum

Far as big issues and recall on the Explorers, Jeep had a ton itself with the transmission for a while and the parking brake as well for years.

When you say "Jeep" are you referring to all models of just the GC? The last reports of vehicles to avoid lists practically every Jeep model with the exception of the Grand Cherokee and I believe Wrangler.

Peter

When you say "Jeep" are you referring to all models of just the GC? The last reports of vehicles to avoid lists practically every Jeep model with the exception of the Grand Cherokee and I believe Wrangler.

Peter
The Grand Cherokee was among them as well, my friends mom had one and had it lemon after non stop issues. It was a 2013-2015 model and there were safety recalls for it among other issues. A Star Trek actor was accidentally killed by one as well, SUV rolled back and pinned him against the gate.

You haven't been in a Jeep product in the past few years, if you have and you think the build quality is better in the Explorer Im going to look up some Optometrists in your area.

Like many here I dont hate my ST, I actually really enjoy it, but the Jeep doesn't suffer from the silly incompetent engineering issues the Explorer has, which in turn cause owners to say WTF am I paying $55-$60 to have issues when I can spend the same and have no issues.

After the My Ford Touch debacle that quite literally sunk Ford QC and Owner ratings one would expect that the replacement to MFT would be an industry leading best of show multimedia system, but no it's almost just as poorly executed. U-Connect is the gold standard of multimedia systems, SYNC3 isn't even close.

Those that say SYNC3 is rock solid for them are for the most part "Simple Users".....never do anything with the system but radio on/off, maybe look at the map once a drive. A technically astute owner likes to leverage connected devices, voice commands, message dictation, voice mapping, cellular call audio. Those Users are frustrated at never ending QC issues.

The Jeep doesn't have a poorly executed wireless charging pad that only fits the smaller smartphones on the market, and then if your phone happens to be one of the few that does fit the wireless connection is broken with hard braking because the phone falls forward.

The Jeep doesnt have multiple recalls or QC issues or part failures, or wind noises, or missing parts, or uneven exterior body panels.

Have a look at the new 2022 Jeep it's even nicer than the 2021, and U-Connect 5 is now the system to beat.
One of the things I do NOT like about the possible Explorer is the vertical headunit/screen and Sync3, especially now seeing that reportedly Ford is looking to ditch the aged Sync platform that just never was that great. Is that a deal breaker? not entirely as my 13 and 16 both had Sync2 and they worked for the most part without issue. Even then it seemed "old" and to me Sync3 just looks even "older" being more "basic"

Coming from a vertical screen in the Outback I sold, it's less than ideal, especially to a point made in this thread of the back up camera image on the screen.
While I am still considering the Explorer .. If I was to order at this minute - I am really leaning to the JGC Trailhawk with the Hemi or the 4xe plug in hybrid (pricing TBD but will qualify for the $7,500 US Tax credit) with the Advanced ProTech Group II, Luxury Tech Group III for $61,500 (ouch but could be pushing $70k fully loaded)

The 400HP of the Explorer King Ranch 3.0TT is really tempting as well and has been on the street for a few years now, so there's something to be said for that as well.

Love our ST but would go with the Aviator GT if I did it over today.

One of the things I do NOT like about the possible Explorer is the vertical headunit/screen and Sync3, especially now seeing that reportedly Ford is looking to ditch the aged Sync platform that just never was that great. Is that a deal breaker? not entirely as my 13 and 16 both had Sync2 and they worked for the most part without issue. Even then it seemed "old" and to me Sync3 just looks even "older" being more "basic"

Coming from a vertical screen in the Outback I sold, it's less than ideal, especially to a point made in this thread of the back up camera image on the screen.
While I am still considering the Explorer .. If I was to order at this minute - I am really leaning to the JGC Trailhawk with the Hemi or the 4xe plug in hybrid (pricing TBD but will qualify for the $7,500 US Tax credit) with the Advanced ProTech Group II, Luxury Tech Group III for $61,500 (ouch but could be pushing $70k fully loaded)

The 400HP of the Explorer King Ranch 3.0TT is really tempting as well and has been on the street for a few years now, so there's something to be said for that as well.
I actually prefer Sync 2 over Sync 3 far as functionality, Sync 3 is a step back.

Hardly use it anyways, my phone is connected to it running AA 99% of the time. Dont need to wait minutes to receive a horrible response from Sync voice and much more useful/faster/easier/accurate overall for texting, changing music via spotify and of course calling. Now if only it displayed the whole screen...... Rumor is Ford is actually making that possible in the next update or two.

Ford should've taken notes from Dodge in how to build an accurate faster voice recognition system and UI altogether.

I actually prefer Sync 2 over Sync 3 far as functionality, Sync 3 is a step back.

Hardly use it anyways, my phone is connected to it running AA 99% of the time. Dont need to wait minutes to receive a horrible response from Sync voice and much more useful/faster/easier/accurate overall for texting, changing music via spotify and of course calling. Now if only it displayed the whole screen...... Rumor is Ford is actually making that possible in the next update or two.

Ford should've taken notes from Dodge in how to build an accurate faster voice recognition system and UI altogether.
I hope that rumor is right about AA being bigger in the next update or so. I sure would use it more if it is.

Love our ST but would go with the Aviator GT if I did it over today.
The aviator is intriguing until I look at it. Just screams “retired”. Maybe you are. But to me the ST just looks worlds better. That’s why I’m so excited to get rid of my chromed out 2017 limited with fake wood trim. Just isn’t me at all.

I’d take the quality and extra features of the aviator with the ST looks.

Very interesting! It’s a very elegant looking vehicle. I just appreciate the sleek, sporty, and aggressive look of the ST.
BTW, I am retired and have been for 19 years. ;) Retired at 55.

Peter

I hope that rumor is right about AA being bigger in the next update or so. I sure would use it more if it is.
I would love to read where this was discussed. Anyone have a link?

I would absolutely buy again. Our 2020 Explorer will be one year old in less than a month. 14,000+ miles and it's never been back to the dealer for an issue. The only problem it has had is the Sirius XM glitch which was fixed with another over the air update.

I will never buy another Ford again after my 2016 Explorer Sport experience. I've written a letter to Ford and the dealership where I bought it brand new over a page long listing everything that I've had to bring it in for. Waste of time and money. I don't have time to go into all the detail now, but know that many of these weren't just break and replace a part type of repairs. There are other backstories of incorrect part numbers in Ford catalog causing wrong parts to be delivered and extreme downtime without the vehicle, replacement parts arriving DOA as we make plans to take off work early to pick up the vehicle on the presumed completion date, etc. Here's my abbreviated list.....keep in mind this was a factory-ordered vehicle (straight from the factory) -->
At delivery - missing a part on the Glovebox (that's right completely missing;
At delivery - missing leather stitching around base of headrest from factory;
Headlamp would not turn off, even when turned completely off, had to disconnect the battery each time before replacement;
Computer module in the steering column failed causing the blinker to function erratically;
Transmission failed, skipped gear, had to be rebuilt,
Transmission leak immediately after repair, new gasket;
Paint Primer was not applied correctly at the factory on the front of the hood caused premature paint failure and corrosion within year 2;
Weather stripping around driver door failed within year 2
Air bag warning light stayed activated. I believe there was a recall for this. Wiring harness replaced.
Power transfer unit (PTU) leaking oil, failed shaft seal.
Rear heater core failed. Replaced core.
The replacement heater core failed almost exactly one year from the original replacement. Replaced core. Residual leak not cleaned properly so after we drove from the dealer, continued to "leak" more residual fluid causing more investigation as to if there was more leaking.
Strut mount failed causing binding in the steering.
There were also other recalls such as rear toe link replacement, the Co2 leaking to the interior from the exhaust, roof rack rails failing and coming away from the roof (we currently are experiencing this). Had carved out time to drop the vehicle off for this recall repair, after delivering, told on the phone that the (cheap) repair that Ford approved was no good and failing a short time after the repair so they discontinued it until another approved method of repair could be flowed out. Had to pick the vehicle up with no repairs done.

Also keep in mind, the vast majority of these failures happened within about 3 years of the vehicle being produced, the remainder within a couple of years after that.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I can say from my standpoint this vehicle has ZERO reliability credibility. As a contrast, I had an Altima 3.5 with every bell & whistle available at the time, and in over 300,000 miles the only repairs I had to do were a couple of cheap/easy Cam Angle sensors, which I did myself, and a Cat convertor job that I had a mechanic do. That's it.

Take this for what it's worth, but that Ford is a piece.
Hi Merlin, I have the Explorer Sport 2016 and also have the problems in your list + more. The vehicle only have 28K miles, bought it brand new:
1) Front headlights went out after a month of driving (took 2 months to repair because they do not have parts)
2) GPS would not respond one random morning (technician said computer reboot fixed the problem)
3) Power transfer unit leaked oil (took 2.5 months to repair because they have to take a lot of parts down. Was sitting in the dealership for the entire time waiting for parts)
4) Second row second would not fold. Mechanism broken and they had to replace the entire seat. (took 3 weeks due to parts shortages)
5) Sunroof glass shattered while we were driving on the highway. Dealership claimed a rock must have hit it. We saw it start to crack and pieces just came down. No sign of a rock.

These repairs costed us >$10K & time. Totally acceptable. Will not buy another Ford!

Porsche is the way to go. Just bought one and 100% love it. Next car will be another Porsche for sure.

Let's see.
We looked at the Nissan, the Toyota and the Mazda. I liked the Mazda but it had no tow package available so that was out. The Nissan felt cheap, and I wasn't impressed with the Toyota Highlander. (I was that close to plunking down $80k for a Land Cruiser but my wife talked me down) No chance of a GM car as the Acadia we had was a total piece of junk out of the box. We heard the rumors of the Wagoneer but were not going to wait another minute to dump that GMC.

We purchased our Platinum at the end of the 2018 model year. We had many to chose from, the dealership had 10 or 12 in all trim lines and colors. We got a fairly good deal on the price, didn't get as much as I wanted for my trade, but that was the same at the other dealership we went to.
We added some cash to the trade, as much as we could afford for the down payment. We paid extra on the payments and now I have a nice beautiful problem free paid for car with 25k miles. We are 100% happy with this car and are looking forward to many more years with it.

So yes, I would still buy what I bought. (Unless I had the extra $30k for the Land Cruiser:))
For the price point I would buy a used Land Cruiser over the fully loaded 22 Wagoneer.Higher quality makes for greater dependability and longevity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will never buy another Ford again after my 2016 Explorer Sport experience. I've written a letter to Ford and the dealership where I bought it brand new over a page long listing everything that I've had to bring it in for. Waste of time and money. I don't have time to go into all the detail now, but know that many of these weren't just break and replace a part type of repairs. There are other backstories of incorrect part numbers in Ford catalog causing wrong parts to be delivered and extreme downtime without the vehicle, replacement parts arriving DOA as we make plans to take off work early to pick up the vehicle on the presumed completion date, etc. Here's my abbreviated list.....keep in mind this was a factory-ordered vehicle (straight from the factory) -->
At delivery - missing a part on the Glovebox (that's right completely missing;
At delivery - missing leather stitching around base of headrest from factory;
Headlamp would not turn off, even when turned completely off, had to disconnect the battery each time before replacement;
Computer module in the steering column failed causing the blinker to function erratically;
Transmission failed, skipped gear, had to be rebuilt,
Transmission leak immediately after repair, new gasket;
Paint Primer was not applied correctly at the factory on the front of the hood caused premature paint failure and corrosion within year 2;
Weather stripping around driver door failed within year 2
Air bag warning light stayed activated. I believe there was a recall for this. Wiring harness replaced.
Power transfer unit (PTU) leaking oil, failed shaft seal.
Rear heater core failed. Replaced core.
The replacement heater core failed almost exactly one year from the original replacement. Replaced core. Residual leak not cleaned properly so after we drove from the dealer, continued to "leak" more residual fluid causing more investigation as to if there was more leaking.
Strut mount failed causing binding in the steering.
There were also other recalls such as rear toe link replacement, the Co2 leaking to the interior from the exhaust, roof rack rails failing and coming away from the roof (we currently are experiencing this). Had carved out time to drop the vehicle off for this recall repair, after delivering, told on the phone that the (cheap) repair that Ford approved was no good and failing a short time after the repair so they discontinued it until another approved method of repair could be flowed out. Had to pick the vehicle up with no repairs done.

Also keep in mind, the vast majority of these failures happened within about 3 years of the vehicle being produced, the remainder within a couple of years after that.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I can say from my standpoint this vehicle has ZERO reliability credibility. As a contrast, I had an Altima 3.5 with every bell & whistle available at the time, and in over 300,000 miles the only repairs I had to do were a couple of cheap/easy Cam Angle sensors, which I did myself, and a Cat convertor job that I had a mechanic do. That's it.

Take this for what it's worth, but that Ford is a piece.
Agree with above 100% - I also have 2016 Explorer Sport and I will also not buy a FORD ever again. it spent more time at the dealership than in my driveway. Always serviced at the dealership so no question about "knowledgeable" mechanic touching it. I bought it to pull my boat and it does that … when it works. I needed bearings in the back and transmission lines replaced - most computers were replaced to stop dashboard from blinking like Christmas tree. Weird electrical problems that appear and disappear and cannot be diagnosed. Traction/ABS/tow mode would fail while pulling boat in really bad weather. Replaced Trunk lid motor / moonroof motor, seat warming elements. Airbag light come on and go away - no reason - rust on hood (bubbles) Navigation would just freeze and I had that replaced. Waiting for parts for rear hub and diagnosis on why the front suspension is knocking. I don't have time to drop off the vehicle so many times and waiting for fix. no loaners available so UBER is the solution. FORD sits at the dealer lot for days at a time with no apparent solution on when parts show up - I drop it off / pick it up and some work is done but not all - disaster. It is not abused and well taken care of - oil changes and all service done on schedule and at the dealership. It does most of the work as highway vehicle driving my wife to work and pulling boat maybe 5 times The best idea was to get extended warranty so I am covered except for substantial copay.... overall - it is junk.

Back