If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+)

As the title says - if you were in the same position today - You would still buy your Explorer or something else/different trim?

As I am considering a 22 Explorer (would be my 4th) i am strongly considering a 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland)
These vehicles are in the same group, but aren't at the same time. I took advantage of the crazy used market and sold my Outback XT Limited a few weeks ago to Carmax for more than purchased 18 month ago. So we are putting the money aside and any payments that we would have been making to apply towards the new purchase next year. As such we are now we are one car house - a slightly modified Subaru Forester and want my next purchase to have some light off-road ability as well.

My next purchase likely narrowed down to 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland) (Wanted an F-150 but just won't quite fit in our garage (just slightly too long) ... SO - I am wanting to stay under or very close to $60k and of course Jeep (Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis has some history for quality issues but certainly have improved) and not like Ford doesn't have their issues as well.

Not really interested in the Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride or Chevy Traverse.
I will never buy another Ford again after my 2016 Explorer Sport experience. I've written a letter to Ford and the dealership where I bought it brand new over a page long listing everything that I've had to bring it in for. Waste of time and money. I don't have time to go into all the detail now, but know that many of these weren't just break and replace a part type of repairs. There are other backstories of incorrect part numbers in Ford catalog causing wrong parts to be delivered and extreme downtime without the vehicle, replacement parts arriving DOA as we make plans to take off work early to pick up the vehicle on the presumed completion date, etc. Here's my abbreviated list.....keep in mind this was a factory-ordered vehicle (straight from the factory) -->
At delivery - missing a part on the Glovebox (that's right completely missing;
At delivery - missing leather stitching around base of headrest from factory;
Headlamp would not turn off, even when turned completely off, had to disconnect the battery each time before replacement;
Computer module in the steering column failed causing the blinker to function erratically;
Transmission failed, skipped gear, had to be rebuilt,
Transmission leak immediately after repair, new gasket;
Paint Primer was not applied correctly at the factory on the front of the hood caused premature paint failure and corrosion within year 2;
Weather stripping around driver door failed within year 2
Air bag warning light stayed activated. I believe there was a recall for this. Wiring harness replaced.
Power transfer unit (PTU) leaking oil, failed shaft seal.
Rear heater core failed. Replaced core.
The replacement heater core failed almost exactly one year from the original replacement. Replaced core. Residual leak not cleaned properly so after we drove from the dealer, continued to "leak" more residual fluid causing more investigation as to if there was more leaking.
Strut mount failed causing binding in the steering.
There were also other recalls such as rear toe link replacement, the Co2 leaking to the interior from the exhaust, roof rack rails failing and coming away from the roof (we currently are experiencing this). Had carved out time to drop the vehicle off for this recall repair, after delivering, told on the phone that the (cheap) repair that Ford approved was no good and failing a short time after the repair so they discontinued it until another approved method of repair could be flowed out. Had to pick the vehicle up with no repairs done.

Also keep in mind, the vast majority of these failures happened within about 3 years of the vehicle being produced, the remainder within a couple of years after that.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I can say from my standpoint this vehicle has ZERO reliability credibility. As a contrast, I had an Altima 3.5 with every bell & whistle available at the time, and in over 300,000 miles the only repairs I had to do were a couple of cheap/easy Cam Angle sensors, which I did myself, and a Cat convertor job that I had a mechanic do. That's it.

Take this for what it's worth, but that Ford is a piece.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would wait. The Explorer is 1 Model Year away from a refresh and that includes finally getting rid of the garbage 10.1” Sync 3 display. That’s my biggest complaint on my 2022 Explorer Platinum is the back up camera and 360 camera are the size of the 4.2” screen LMFAO. Actually the worst designed screen and lay out of all time. Sync 4 will come out for the Explorer in 2023 and they’ll probably give them the 15.5” like the Mach e and expedition. Either that or they’ll get the bad ass 12” sync 4. Long story short, wait one more year unlike me. & if you don’t want to wait. I’ll sell you my 2022 platinum when it arrives and I’ll wait to order a 2023 lmao.
No one has a 22 yet. They just started building them. Unlikely sync 4 will ever come to explorer. Android based system coming next.

Nope. Sold mine this week. 2020 Explorer Limited with 25k miles. Even if I was offered the same deal, I would not buy one of this generation. It was in the dealership a month and a half, and I only owned it for six. A gorgeous car with some nice features, but not worth the headache.

Nope. Sold mine this week. 2020 Explorer Limited with 25k miles. Even if I was offered the same deal, I would not buy one of this generation. It was in the dealership a month and a half, and I only owned it for six. A gorgeous car with some nice features, but not worth the headache.
Key part of that paragraph is 2020.

Let's see.
We looked at the Nissan, the Toyota and the Mazda. I liked the Mazda but it had no tow package available so that was out. The Nissan felt cheap, and I wasn't impressed with the Toyota Highlander. (I was that close to plunking down $80k for a Land Cruiser but my wife talked me down) No chance of a GM car as the Acadia we had was a total piece of junk out of the box. We heard the rumors of the Wagoneer but were not going to wait another minute to dump that GMC.

We purchased our Platinum at the end of the 2018 model year. We had many to chose from, the dealership had 10 or 12 in all trim lines and colors. We got a fairly good deal on the price, didn't get as much as I wanted for my trade, but that was the same at the other dealership we went to.
We added some cash to the trade, as much as we could afford for the down payment. We paid extra on the payments and now I have a nice beautiful problem free paid for car with 25k miles. We are 100% happy with this car and are looking forward to many more years with it.

So yes, I would still buy what I bought. (Unless I had the extra $30k for the Land Cruiser:))

Do tell. Read my response just above with a quick list of most of the things we experienced. You have any of the same?

No one has a 22 yet. They just started building them. Unlikely sync 4 will ever come to explorer. Android based system coming next.
My 2022 Explorer Platinum is in Production as we speak. ETA 12/20

My 2022 Explorer Platinum is in Production as we speak. ETA 12/20
Right. I have a 22 in production as well. If you’re so underwhelmed by the explorer, don’t take delivery. Not sure why you ordered one with your complaints and how well known those “issues” are.

Our second vehicle is a 2021 Jeep GC Overland High Altitude. There is absolutely no comparison to the Explorer. Build quality of the Jeep is far superior to the Explorer, fit and finish, materials used inside, exterior panel fit, sound deadening, ride quality, off road capability with air suspension, quality of the Harmon Kardon sound system puts the B&O system to shame. The big one for me is the U-Connect system, it's absolutely flawless and never had a bug or screen lag EVER! You put the vehicle in reverse and the entire screen is the rear camera view with the sensor icon overlay, wow what a concept using the entire screen to assist the driver to see!!!

Also Jeep doesnt push out updates that wipe out your SiriusXM either. The cellular phone integration is seamless and voice quality is unmatched. Now with the 2022 refresh of the Jeep it can only get better. As a 5 time Explorer owner I would push you at the Jeep Overland. We chose the High Altitude trim because it deletes all the chrome and is black on black. Only negative I see is that the Jeep is a 2 row SUV not a 3 row.

I definitely don’t agree with the jeep GC sentiments but everyone is different.

Basically like anything in life, those who have no issues love their explorer. Those who have issues, hate it.

But for me, there is nothing like the ST. So it wins hands down. If I was looking at the 2.3L, i would be doing more cross shopping.

Right. I have a 22 in production as well. If you’re so underwhelmed by the explorer, don’t take delivery. Not sure why you ordered one with your complaints and how well known those “issues” are.
Who said I was underwhelmed by the Explorer? The only issue I have with the vehicle is the the lay out of the back up camera. Enjoy your Explorer, hopefully no chip hold & no delays.

Who said I was underwhelmed by the Explorer? The only issue I have with the vehicle is the the lay out of the back up camera. Enjoy your Explorer, hopefully no chip hold & no delays.
Really? Lol your whole post was about how you regret getting a 22 explorer and would want a 23 based on guesses of what the 23 will be. Sounds like you’re underwhelmed by your 22 you ordered. If you’re already thinking about the 23 model year. And you don’t even have the 22 yet.

"Not really interested in the Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride or Chevy Traverse." - SO>>> basically u could care LESS about the RATINGS... OK fine.

Really? Lol your whole post was about how you regret getting a 22 explorer and would want a 23 based on guesses of what the 23 will be. Sounds like you’re underwhelmed by your 22 you ordered. If you’re already thinking about the 23 model year. And you don’t even have the 22 yet.
:p

Okay, I take it back. I hope you have production delays, a chip hold & the train de rails with your Explorer on it.
So everything that can happen with your 22 that’s on order? Hahah you seem like such a pleasant person lol

1636922401923.png

@ jhu8. I'm curious as to where you got that quote by Crimithy as I don't see it anywhere. It does,however, look like an edited quote of his.

Peter

I've got a 2015 XLT with about 90,000 miles on it. I love it other than routine maintenance I've only had a few minor issues. We used it to tow a small travel trailer until the wife wanted a bigger one. The thing runs and tows( within it's limits) like a champ. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I definitely don’t agree with the jeep GC sentiments but everyone is different.

Basically like anything in life, those who have no issues love their explorer. Those who have issues, hate it.

But for me, there is nothing like the ST. So it wins hands down. If I was looking at the 2.3L, i would be doing more cross shopping.

You haven't been in a Jeep product in the past few years, if you have and you think the build quality is better in the Explorer Im going to look up some Optometrists in your area.

Like many here I dont hate my ST, I actually really enjoy it, but the Jeep doesn't suffer from the silly incompetent engineering issues the Explorer has, which in turn cause owners to say WTF am I paying $55-$60 to have issues when I can spend the same and have no issues.

After the My Ford Touch debacle that quite literally sunk Ford QC and Owner ratings one would expect that the replacement to MFT would be an industry leading best of show multimedia system, but no it's almost just as poorly executed. U-Connect is the gold standard of multimedia systems, SYNC3 isn't even close.

Those that say SYNC3 is rock solid for them are for the most part "Simple Users".....never do anything with the system but radio on/off, maybe look at the map once a drive. A technically astute owner likes to leverage connected devices, voice commands, message dictation, voice mapping, cellular call audio. Those Users are frustrated at never ending QC issues.

The Jeep doesn't have a poorly executed wireless charging pad that only fits the smaller smartphones on the market, and then if your phone happens to be one of the few that does fit the wireless connection is broken with hard braking because the phone falls forward.

The Jeep doesnt have multiple recalls or QC issues or part failures, or wind noises, or missing parts, or uneven exterior body panels.

Have a look at the new 2022 Jeep it's even nicer than the 2021, and U-Connect 5 is now the system to beat.

Back