If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If you were to buy now, would you still buy what you bought? 6th Gen (2020+)

Sure would. We have had nothing but enjoyment from our Explorers, all bought new. Our oldest one being a 2013 XLT with 115k miles. Staying on top of the recommended maintenance, learning the 'ins and outs' of these vehicles is part of the ownership, just as it is for any other vehicle on the market. Yes, you have to invest in them at certain mileages, like the PTU, water pump, and timing chain, but those are minimal compared a new car payment from our perspective. (we found the Explorers are a lot less costly than our previous Audi's) We use our Explorers for a lot more than just "city driving" using them for camping, fishing, hunting, etc. Our 2013 is the one used most for our outdoor activities, all across the nation, and has never failed us at all. The best upgrade we did to all of them, was putting Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires on all of them, changed the handling completely, and provides great support in winter and off-road conditions.

IMG_4921.jpeg IMG_5117.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 61

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As the title says - if you were in the same position today - You would still buy your Explorer or something else/different trim?

As I am considering a 22 Explorer (would be my 4th) i am strongly considering a 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland)
These vehicles are in the same group, but aren't at the same time. I took advantage of the crazy used market and sold my Outback XT Limited a few weeks ago to Carmax for more than purchased 18 month ago. So we are putting the money aside and any payments that we would have been making to apply towards the new purchase next year. As such we are now we are one car house - a slightly modified Subaru Forester and want my next purchase to have some light off-road ability as well.

My next purchase likely narrowed down to 22 King Ranch or the all new 22 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Trail Hawk or Overland) (Wanted an F-150 but just won't quite fit in our garage (just slightly too long) ... SO - I am wanting to stay under or very close to $60k and of course Jeep (Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis has some history for quality issues but certainly have improved) and not like Ford doesn't have their issues as well.

Not really interested in the Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Palisade, Kia Telluride or Chevy Traverse.
Yes, I would buy another in a heartbeat. You’ll find libraries of horror stories about every vehicle if you look hard enough. That being said, I’m on my 3rd Explorer, still satisfied.

I will never buy another Ford again after my 2016 Explorer Sport experience. I've written a letter to Ford and the dealership where I bought it brand new over a page long listing everything that I've had to bring it in for. Waste of time and money. I don't have time to go into all the detail now, but know that many of these weren't just break and replace a part type of repairs. There are other backstories of incorrect part numbers in Ford catalog causing wrong parts to be delivered and extreme downtime without the vehicle, replacement parts arriving DOA as we make plans to take off work early to pick up the vehicle on the presumed completion date, etc. Here's my abbreviated list.....keep in mind this was a factory-ordered vehicle (straight from the factory) -->
At delivery - missing a part on the Glovebox (that's right completely missing;
At delivery - missing leather stitching around base of headrest from factory;
Headlamp would not turn off, even when turned completely off, had to disconnect the battery each time before replacement;
Computer module in the steering column failed causing the blinker to function erratically;
Transmission failed, skipped gear, had to be rebuilt,
Transmission leak immediately after repair, new gasket;
Paint Primer was not applied correctly at the factory on the front of the hood caused premature paint failure and corrosion within year 2;
Weather stripping around driver door failed within year 2
Air bag warning light stayed activated. I believe there was a recall for this. Wiring harness replaced.
Power transfer unit (PTU) leaking oil, failed shaft seal.
Rear heater core failed. Replaced core.
The replacement heater core failed almost exactly one year from the original replacement. Replaced core. Residual leak not cleaned properly so after we drove from the dealer, continued to "leak" more residual fluid causing more investigation as to if there was more leaking.
Strut mount failed causing binding in the steering.
There were also other recalls such as rear toe link replacement, the Co2 leaking to the interior from the exhaust, roof rack rails failing and coming away from the roof (we currently are experiencing this). Had carved out time to drop the vehicle off for this recall repair, after delivering, told on the phone that the (cheap) repair that Ford approved was no good and failing a short time after the repair so they discontinued it until another approved method of repair could be flowed out. Had to pick the vehicle up with no repairs done.

Also keep in mind, the vast majority of these failures happened within about 3 years of the vehicle being produced, the remainder within a couple of years after that.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I can say from my standpoint this vehicle has ZERO reliability credibility. As a contrast, I had an Altima 3.5 with every bell & whistle available at the time, and in over 300,000 miles the only repairs I had to do were a couple of cheap/easy Cam Angle sensors, which I did myself, and a Cat convertor job that I had a mechanic do. That's it.

Take this for what it's worth, but that Ford is a piece.
We bought the wife a 2020 Explorer when they dropped. Right out the gate it had the wrong hatch lid and missing a seal or something. The hatch was badged as the Ecoboost4WD model but the car was 2 wheel drive. After going back and forth with the dealership they finally admitted it was a factory mistake and fixed it. They tried to offer us a Platinum at a good price for the trouble but the wife said no. Fast forward to now everything is working fine (knock on wood).

Luckily we weren't charged for a 4WD model. This was a on the whim purchase from the wife one day after work, so I had to drive an hour to her to co-sign and bring it home... Needless to say I was pissed when I crawled under it and noticed there were no axles up front.

Me personally I wouldn't buy another one anytime soon with all the QC issues. My work buddy bought his wife a 19 Explorer a while back and was having bad issues with intermittent starting/electrical issues. It was down for weeks and they never found the issue. Pretty sure the dealer bought it back but I'm not sure.

Wife loves the car and it is a good driving vehicle but the QC issues have me worried about long term use. We'll see how it holds up lol

I will never buy another Ford again after my 2016 Explorer Sport experience. I've written a letter to Ford and the dealership where I bought it brand new over a page long listing everything that I've had to bring it in for. Waste of time and money. I don't have time to go into all the detail now, but know that many of these weren't just break and replace a part type of repairs. There are other backstories of incorrect part numbers in Ford catalog causing wrong parts to be delivered and extreme downtime without the vehicle, replacement parts arriving DOA as we make plans to take off work early to pick up the vehicle on the presumed completion date, etc. Here's my abbreviated list.....keep in mind this was a factory-ordered vehicle (straight from the factory) -->
Headlamp would not turn off, even when turned completely off, had to disconnect the battery each time before replacement;
Computer module in the steering column failed causing the blinker to function erratically;
Paint Primer was not applied correctly at the factory on the front of the hood caused premature paint failure and corrosion within year 2;
Air bag warning light stayed activated. I believe there was a recall for this. Wiring harness replaced.
The replacement heater core failed almost exactly one year from the original replacement. Replaced core. Residual leak not cleaned properly so after we drove from the dealer, continued to "leak" more residual fluid causing more investigation as to if there was more leaking.
There were also other recalls such as rear toe link replacement, the Co2 leaking to the interior from the exhaust, roof rack rails failing and coming away from the roof (we currently are experiencing this). Had carved out time to drop the vehicle off for this recall repair, after delivering, told on the phone that the (cheap) repair that Ford approved was no good and failing a short time after the repair so they discontinued it until another approved method of repair could be flowed out. Had to pick the vehicle up with no repairs done.

Also keep in mind, the vast majority of these failures happened within about 3 years of the vehicle being produced, the remainder within a couple of years after that.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I can say from my standpoint this vehicle has ZERO reliability credibility. As a contrast, I had an Altima 3.5 with every bell & whistle available at the time, and in over 300,000 miles the only repairs I had to do were a couple of cheap/easy Cam Angle sensors, which I did myself, and a Cat convertor job that I had a mechanic do. That's it.

If it's not too late I think that you should use the "Lemon Law" and force Ford to buy it back. Contact your State Attorney General.

So sorry to hear this horror story.
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily indeed.
All I can say is I'm on my 5th or 6th Explorer and other than the usual wear and tear and pricy repairs over the years I've gotten close to 200,000 miles of usage from each of them.
I currently have a 2010 and my son a 2014.
I would strongly consider another Explorer in the future. It just does everything that I need in a vehicle.
Sorry for your experience !

I have a 2013 Explorer limited and has had very similar experience with it. Brand new from dealership but A\C came bad. Rear unit did not work. Dealer fixed and only lasted a month. The A\C has been problematic as nice then, having to turn the vehicle in almost every month. First rain and discovered roof leak badly. Deal struggled with repairs for 3 years, this persisted. Bad paint work around the hood edges, resulting to swellings and rust.
Door glass lifters, driver door has failed 3 times. Park assist sensors quit working after 18 months.
My worst regret ever buying a Ford vehicle. Can't make this mistake ever again.

I definitely don’t agree with the jeep GC sentiments but everyone is different.

Basically like anything in life, those who have no issues love their explorer. Those who have issues, hate it.

But for me, there is nothing like the ST. So it wins hands down. If I was looking at the 2.3L, i would be doing more cross shopping.
I would not trade my 2.3 for anything else. Does it sound like a 4 cyl? Sure, it is a 4 cyl. But it has better performance than a comparable SUV with a V6. And its smooth and unless accelerating hard, its quiet. And no, I am not an econo. car non enthusiast, I have a V8 Mustang also. 2.3 is just awesome for what it is.

Great feedback everyone and keep it coming, these real feedback posts are really valuable. Sadly humans are MUCH more likely to complain vs praise and as long as you know it forums can be helpful when sifting thru the posts.
Anyone know if you can add a skidplate to the 3.0T? I did find an aftermarket but curious if Ford offered one and maybe I have missed it in their parts catalog.

I would not trade my 2.3 for anything else. Does it sound like a 4 cyl? Sure, it is a 4 cyl. But it has better performance than a comparable SUV with a V6. And its smooth and unless accelerating hard, its quiet. And no, I am not an econo. car non enthusiast, I have a V8 Mustang also. 2.3 is just awesome for what it is.

Yes, the 2.3 liter turbo 4 is legit and returns great gas mileage with good power. A twin turbo v6 at 400 hp is de-tuned a little bit on the Explorer. It could make more HP than that and they are fast. However, in its class the 2.3 liter is more than adequate for the RWD Explorer.

These repairs costed us >$10K & time. Totally acceptable. Will not buy another Ford!

Porsche is the way to go. Just bought one and 100% love it. Next car will be another Porsche for sure.
I'm guessing you didn't buy the ESP. That probably would have saved you a fair amount of $$.
As for getting a Porsche, not only is it a different vehicle but also more expensive to maintain. I was at my dealership last Spring and there was a new Porsche 911 being traded in on an F-150. The dealership actually ended up paying the owner $$ on the deal. ;)
BTW, I'm guessing you meant to say "Totally unacceptable". :)

Peter

Sound like "Grand Ma's Grocery List" syndrome. (what it was called internally) There becomes a mind set
between service and customer and no one wins! I learned a valuable lesson on a 1972 new Jeep CJ5 owned
by a guy named Milt Robbinson.

I like the rest of the mechs, were cussing his list. My owner turned to me and said
"That man is paying YOUR WAGES, I just sign the checks"! From then on I interfaced with
all the "listers". My start to Customer Service! The hardest part has been to convince someone
you are trying to really help them!
We had Mazda, Fiat, Lotus and Jeep with the HEMI stuff at the other shop.
Most fun was warranting broken race car parts when were part of
"The Plymouth Rapid Transit System".

Take this for what it's worth, but that Ford is a piece
I have 2 1998 explorers. I would definitely continue buying these older Ford's as long as I can find them. Can't really afford the price of any new vehicles.

We have had our 2020 ST for about a year and half and are generally pleased. There's been a couple of issues along the way, mostly fixed by the dealer. The most glaring issue has been the SYNC 3 fiasco where they messed up the TravelLink ... and then took months to fix it. Really poor support. Also not impressed with the vertical iPad and the way they laid SYNC 3 out.

On the other hand, the ST's performance is an absolute hoot ... and we're getting great fuel mileage as well. Being a '20 we also have a lot more "content" than current models (such as the heated wipers, lights in the glove box, self sealing Michelin's, etc.)

If money were no object, and I was shopping again ... the Jeep Grand Cherokee L would get a really close look. I'm especially impressed with what I've seen on YouTube about the IR camera/display and other tech items. However, to approach the fuel mileage we're getting, I'd have to avoid the V-8, and I just don't think I could be happy without the ST's performance!!

Right now ... we'll keep our ST for a while as car shopping is crazy. Not even sure where I'd find a dealer that's not charging "Market Adjustments" on top of MSRP!! But, when the time comes, the Jeep will get a look, as will an Expedition (a little more room can never hurt!). Of course if they'd offer up an ST with the PHEV gas/electric combo I read about in Europe (500+ hp combined), I'd take a real serious look at that as well!!

Ken

Are we taking about new only? I don't buy new vehicles. I can't afford to. But I love my explorers I have 2 right now, both 98s. I don't spend more than $5000 on vehicles anymore. I have an 09 Toyota Camry too, that I inherited from my In-laws. But I would buy an older explorer in a heartbeat. By the time I get them all the bugs are worked out, and I'm not worried about getting a scratch on it. I get about 4-5 years out them and then part them out or scrap them if they can't be fixed for less than their worth. I'll keep buying old explorers as long as I can find them.

IMG_20210805_210029424.jpg IMG_20180130_074831399.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_210029424.jpg
    IMG_20210805_210029424.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 58

Great feedback everyone and keep it coming, these real feedback posts are really valuable. Sadly humans are MUCH more likely to complain vs praise and as long as you know it forums can be helpful when sifting thru the posts.
Anyone know if you can add a skidplate to the 3.0T? I did find an aftermarket but curious if Ford offered one and maybe I have missed it in their parts catalog.
TDM does the PIU upfitting, all the retail OEM DVD kit installations and skid plates for the Timberline model I will email one of the engineers there and ask for you

Do tell. Read my response just above with a quick list of most of the things we experienced. You have any of the same?

Not sure why you are comparing a 5th gen with the 6th gen. They are completely different vehicles and platforms. This is about the 6th gen Explorers.

Hi Merlin, I have the Explorer Sport 2016 and also have the problems in your list + more. The vehicle only have 28K miles, bought it brand new:
1) Front headlights went out after a month of driving (took 2 months to repair because they do not have parts)
2) GPS would not respond one random morning (technician said computer reboot fixed the problem)
3) Power transfer unit leaked oil (took 2.5 months to repair because they have to take a lot of parts down. Was sitting in the dealership for the entire time waiting for parts)
4) Second row second would not fold. Mechanism broken and they had to replace the entire seat. (took 3 weeks due to parts shortages)
5) Sunroof glass shattered while we were driving on the highway. Dealership claimed a rock must have hit it. We saw it start to crack and pieces just came down. No sign of a rock.

These repairs costed us >$10K & time. Totally acceptable. Will not buy another Ford!

Porsche is the way to go. Just bought one and 100% love it. Next car will be another Porsche for sure.
hahahah yeah because an Explorer is in the same league as Porsche... I like what you cross shop.

TDM does the PIU upfitting, all the retail OEM DVD kit installations and skid plates for the Timberline model I will email one of the engineers there and ask for you
Thanks SGT!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oka grumpy old man you don't like Ford you bought a foreign car you don't need to be on this site

Back