Ignition issues? CHECK YOUR COIL PACK FOR RUST!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition issues? CHECK YOUR COIL PACK FOR RUST!!

That conversation got 2 deep 2 quick. Lol. Just looking too get truck running right., without spending a fortune. Especially if I don't need that part

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've been having intermittent missing and my engine wouldn't run all that smooth and would have vibration. Well, I saw a video about checking for corrosion on the grounding plate as well as the contact on the coil pack on the 4.0 OHV.

Well, you wouldn't believe it what I saw when I pulled the coil pack off. I swear the only thing grounding the coil pack was the screws. There was a band of rust around the entire mating surface of the coil pack and none of the metal was smooth and shiny. Well I hit it with some sandpaper, degreased, and reassembled.

I absolutely couldn't believe what I heard when I started it up. The engine that used to send vibrations that you could feel in the drivers seat is running smooth enough to balance a quarter on it! I'm not saying that this is a miracle fix. As a matter of fact it is really just a simple problem and solution. There was a confined space with bare metal that rusted. The rust inhibited the electrical properties, and when it was cleaned, the properties were restored.

So GO CHECK YOUR COIL PACK! It can't hurt and it sure as heck helped in my case.
I know this is an old post but thanks for sharing, I purchased a 95 Ex Sport 4x4 middle of '23 changed plugs, wires, filters, sensors, you name it...tried this and wow! what a difference!

This still does not make sense. Electrically, it does not need to ground that plate. I have to wonder if disturbing the coil pack, resulted in the plug wires or controller connector making better contact after having been intermittent, or the wires themselves have breaks in them.

The ignition coils receive a constant 12V input, and each coil is grounded through the PCM to fire, not the engine block. If there is no other problem, it should work fine not being mounted in its factory location at all. However, that metal plate probably does help to keep it running cooler, if you have clean surfaces and especially some grease on the bottom to help with that.

I’ll clean mine and see what happens. Just so I can muddy the waters some more lol

Back