Ignition problems, 2008 Sport Trac... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ignition problems, 2008 Sport Trac...

sgoss66

Reaction score
City, State
Norman, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Sport Trac
Hi all!

I posted the following within the "ignition switch" thread, but I'm not sure that's the best place to put it, as it may be overlooked there by someone who may be able to offer me some advice. So I decided to start a separate thread.

Here's the issue:

A couple of years ago, I was having some electrical "gremlin" issues, and found the "ignition switch install" thread, which was very helpful -- so I replaced the ignition switch and it fixed things.

Now, however, I have started having a different problem. Sometimes when I put the key in the ignition and turn the key, nothing at all happens. I have to turn the key back to the "turn off" position, and try again. Sometimes, I have to engage the key slightly differently -- I noticed I tend to "push in" on the key when I'm turning it to start the vehicle, and when I do that, I often have the "fail to start the engine" issue occur. At that point, I have to be careful NOT to "push in" on the key as I turn it, and if I "do it right," things will usually work properly, and the engine starts normally. Other times, turning the key simply starts the vehicle as it should, no problem manifests. In other words, it's somewhat intermittent, and aside from the "how I might be applying pressure to the key when I'm turning it," I really haven't figured out how to definitely reproduce the issue consistently.

Obviously, something is "wearing out," in terms of the switch, or some type of contact, or something, and from reading through a few newer posts on the "ignition switch install" thread, it seems like perhaps my problem is either the ignition switch again, or the ignition cylinder. I would suspect the switch, but I know I'm not having any of the "gremlin" issues I had before, so I'm not sure whether it is the switch, or cylinder. Anyone have any guesses -- switch, or cylinder (or possibly something else)?

If it IS the cylinder, this time, is that a tough part to replace as a DIY project, or since it's a "keyed" part, will I have to have the dealer do it? I think I read, somewhere, from someone who sells the cylinders, that they come with whatever is necessary to "key" the cylinder to your existing key, but I'm not sure. Just curious if it does turn out to be the cylinder, if this is not too tough of a DIY project...

Thanks,

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all --

I'm still in need of help on this ignition switch/ignition cylinder issue.

A new problem has cropped up (in addition to the intermittent issue of a failure of the engine to start when turning the key), in that sometimes my windshield wipers and windshield washers will not work. I know this is related to the ignition issue, because if I put the vehicle in reverse, turn off the ignition, and then fiddle with/jiggle the key in the ignition, with the wiper switch on, I can usually get the wipers/washer to work again. But then, when I put it back in park and turn the car on, the wipers won't work. If I do this enough times, I can usually get it to where I can then turn on the car, and the wipers will once again work WITH the car on, but the point is that I am near certain that these issues with the wipers are also associated with the switch, or the cylinder. Not sure why the wipers and the ignition are somehow tied together, but apparently they are.

My questions are -- how hard is it to replace the ignition cylinder? Is it an easy task? Should I (once again) replace the ignition switch, while I'm at it? If I do replace the ignition cylinder, will I have issues with my keys working in the new cylinder (will it need to be re-keyed or anything?) I know replacing the switch is not hard, as I already did it once. But what about the cylinder -- is this an easy task, and does the "windshield wiper" issue makes sense, from the perspective that it is related to this ignition cylinder/switch issue?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve

The new cylinder will need to be rekeyed to your key. There should be a pin to press to remove the cylinder. If you have access to a shop manual, it gives the details.

The new cylinder will need to be rekeyed to your key. There should be a pin to press to remove the cylinder. If you have access to a shop manual, it gives the details.

Thanks for that info.

Can I re-key it myself, or do I have to have it done by a locksmith?

Steve

if you have a steady hand and a good eye

I like to think I do! What I DON'T have, is the knowledge. Is there anything online that would explain how to do the re-keying?

Steve

There should be. It is a series of different tumblers that fit the indents in the key.

There should be. It is a series of different tumblers that fit the indents in the key.

Sounds good -- those "tumblers" must be the small parts that come with the cylinder. I've ordered it, so I'll see what I have when it gets here.

Thanks much for your help, eppd00.

Anyone else have any insight as to whether I'm on the right track here with the non-start issues and the wiper/washer issues all being tied to the cylinder, or could it be the ignition switch again?

Oh, and one more "strange" issue manifested. I pulled my keys from the ignition, with the driver's side door open, and the "bell" that tells you that you've left your keys in the ignition, kept ringing. I came out this morning, opened the door, and the "bell" started chiming -- again, acting as though the keys were in the ignition.

Not sure if that piece of info points any more toward whether it's a cylinder, or switch issue, or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I wish I knew for sure which of these is the issue, as I really don't want to waste $50 buying an additional part (the switch) that I don't need, but on the other hand I don't want to NOT spend it, if I should be replacing the switch and cylinder together...

Thanks,

Steve

When Ford replaced mine under warranty,the door chime did not work when the door opened and the key was in the switch. I rattled the key and it acted normally.Also the dome light was acting up etc. The tumblers are the small pins of various lengths that are inserted in the cylinder to match up with the key indents.

When Ford replaced mine under warranty,the door chime did not work when the door opened and the key was in the switch. I rattled the key and it acted normally.Also the dome light was acting up etc. The tumblers are the small pins of various lengths that are inserted in the cylinder to match up with the key indents.

Interesting, eppd. Your chime would NOT work, until you jiggled the key. And I haven't had a dome light issue yet. And Ford replaced your ignition cylinder, is that correct? Or the ignition switch? Or both?

When my cylinder arrives, I'll see if I can figure out how to install the "tumblers" to work with my key. Hopefully I can figure it out, or find some instructions. If not, I guess worst-case scenario I take the cylinder to a locksmith, before I install it.

Steve

They replaced the cylinder.

eppd -- thanks for the additional info. That's encouraging in that it says I may be on the right track. I guess if I start by replacing the cylinder, and then I'm still having some issues, I could then follow-up by replacing the switch, too...

Thanks!

Steve

Back