I'm getting HORRIBLE gas mileage! Help me! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm getting HORRIBLE gas mileage! Help me!

Concept

Reaction score
City, State
Cartersville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0 V8
I average about 10-12 miles per gallon on my Explorer. I've heard from a few friends that it may be the modular belt? Any help is appreciated!

I've got a '99 5.0 V8 AWD Explorer XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you drive? V-8 awd isn't going to be a high milage maker

RFR2212 said:
How do you drive? V-8 awd isn't going to be a high milage maker

he's right V8 AWD around town 12mpg is probably gonna be normal.

:chug: :chug:

Sounds like what I'm getting, about 15-17 mixed. Remember, its a truck, not a Prius, so its not designed to get good mileage.

we are getting 14MPG on winter gas with our 97 5.0 AWD. thats city drving. higher in the summer, and even higher on the highway.

Tire pressure? Last tuneup? Letting it warm up? Modular belt, do you meant serpentine belt?

That be my average mileage in town since the larger tires went on, about
10-12 MPG.

It will still pull 18 on the freeway though, sometimes a bit more. I assume that it sucks the extra gas trying to get moving, but once it's rolling it does allright.

If your tire size changed by any considerable amount you Odometer isn't correct, and will show less mileage.

Have the codes read, see if it comes up with anything. Change your oil, sometimes that can make a difference. plugs and wires, general tune up sort of stuff. You can also try sea foam and see if that helps at all. Do a Search this topic has been discussed many a time.

12 mpg isn't normal even for the V8. The V6s aren't any more efficient then the V8s are in comparison, Should be around 14-15.

dreamr said:
Which can be adjusted with an SCT Micro Tuner ;)

The microtuner does not adjust anything. The adjustments are made with Extreme Tuning software ( available free from SCT [ http://www.sctflash.com/xtreme.php ] ). The microtuner allows you to install the "tune" into your truck. The tunes are available from your SCT dealer via e mail. In addition to the software and the microtuner, one needs a special cable to connect the microtuner to the PC.

The software allows end user adjustments in:

Axle Ratio
Tire Size
Idle / Part Throttle / Full Throttle Air / Fuel Ratio
Engine Timing
Engine Idle
Automatic Transmission Shift Schedules & Firmness
Rev & Speed Limters

aldive said:
The microtuner does not adjust anything. The adjustments are made with Extreme Tuning software ( available free from SCT [ http://www.sctflash.com/xtreme.php ] ). The microtuner allows you to install the "tune" into your truck. The tunes are available from your SCT dealer via e mail. In addition to the software and the microtuner, one needs a special cable to connect the microtuner to the PC.

The software allows end user adjustments in:

Axle Ratio
Tire Size
Idle / Part Throttle / Full Throttle Air / Fuel Ratio
Engine Timing
Engine Idle
Automatic Transmission Shift Schedules & Firmness
Rev & Speed Limters

Ok, ok, well let me rephrase that a little to be more technical. With the use of the software I or Doug or any tuner can reprogram the microtuner to reflash my EEC with the new settings :rolleyes:

In the end I can adjust the speedometer with the flasher as I stated earlier ;)

This could also be corrected with the purchase of a "Superlift True Speed" unit as well, but it doesn't let me play with performance settings.

Poor Doug keeps getting calls from me with my new mods, tires, and gears. Making the cable and software a neccessary purchase to save him the hassle :D

Hartman said:
12 mpg isn't normal even for the V8. The V6s aren't any more efficient then the V8s are in comparison, Should be around 14-15.

Unless you run on 33's with 4.56 gears and have a heavy foot :eek:
Plus there is that good ol' I-5 gridlock. When it takes an hour to go 3 miles it takes a whole lot of gas :confused:

On the other hand my G/F borrowed the truck for a few days while I had to do some work out of town (taking her eco bucket [kia]). She averaged about 15 mpg in my truck. 14.86 to be more precise. Probably because it scares her to drive it :D .

Too bad it isn't like her Kia at 32 mpg traveling at an average of 85 mph.

And no these aren't scientifically tested numbers, cause I really don't worry about gas that much. Ya just fill it up and drive, the rest is as it is.

dreamr said:
Poor Doug keeps getting calls from me with my new mods, tires, and gears. Making the cable and software a neccessary purchase to save him the hassle :D

The software is a free download from the SCT like I posted above. I just happen to have a brand new cable ( extra ) that I need to sell ( its advertised in the FS forum ).

aldive said:
The software is a free download from the SCT like I posted above. I just happen to have a brand new cable ( extra ) that I need to sell ( its advertised in the FS forum ).

I saw that, but have already spent my paycheck :D

...............I think it's gone at least :mad: ................................

I have a 1994 XL 4.0L OHV with 5 speed manual. I get 10mpg city!!! with a feather-foot!!! I drive as sensibly as possible. It has new everything. Oh well, it's a truck.... ::sigh::

I remember one time on the highway we got 19mpg with a trailer..... that was 4 years ago before I owned it.

I'm only getting 200 miles to the tank (v6). it sucks.

I think the explorers basically SUCK for gas milage. The only time they are good is when you are cruising steady on the highway for long time periods. Other than that it just dumps the fuel even when you tap the gas. I was bored and did some calculations and the 4.0L OHV engine, each cylinder is larger than each cylinder on the 5.0L V8. Big v6, small v8. all gas hungry engines
George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You all should be getting more than 10-12 mpg. I'm running around on 35s I can barely maintain 70 on the highway and I average 13-14 mpg. Back when my truck was stock I'd usually average 20mpg.

Back