I'm looking for information on performing a 5.0L to diesel conversion. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm looking for information on performing a 5.0L to diesel conversion.

ron68coug

Reaction score
City, State
Yelm, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 5.0, Leather
Hello, nice to join you all. I am looking for info on a diesel swap like 3.9 cummins, or?, and what performance mods can be done to a 5.0 Explorer. Do these 5.0's have the H.O. firing order like the mustangs? Are they roller cam? Can you use an X303 cam? I will read up on your posts, I am just putting out what I am looking for if anyone knows. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the modified 95-01 section. Take a look around the site. I know that one member installed a Mercedes diesel into his Explorer.

Search the site, I saw a Ranger with a Cummins in it posted up not too long ago.

Hello, nice to join you all. I am looking for info on a diesel swap like 3.9 cummins, or?, and what performance mods can be done to a 5.0 Explorer. Do these 5.0's have the H.O. firing order like the mustangs? Are they roller cam? Can you use an X303 cam? I will read up on your posts, I am just putting out what I am looking for if anyone knows. Thanks!

Yes, they are roller cam. they are also MAF. very, very similar to mustangs.

i believe also (But im not completely sure) that they have forged internals. you could run another cam if you like, although i think the X cam would be a bit on the large side for you're stock heads (and a number of other things) an e-303 with an appropriate torque converter might be nice though.

a diesel swap sounds like a TON of work... what would be the idea there, better fuel economy? you're 5.0 could easily outperform any diesel for far less cash or work. (IMO most diesels, anywhere near stock form, have crappy performance, they just get great mileage)

well the other idea is they can run on waste oil. I've thought about it too back when gas was hitting 4.25... one day maybe, when I have a second explorer... maybe a sport... I've always wanted to do a frame up build

Well, I've seen a few rangers with 3.9 BT Cummins in mags. It seems that there is a ton of power in the new diesels, and can be had fairly easy by the way of fuel and turbo upgrades, and they can get great fuel economy at the same time.
I like the 302 in it now, but it is horrible on fuel mileage. I want to retain the all wheel drive, as it is my wife's car, but would like to something to get better mileage.

Also with the diesel, you can by dyed fuel with no tax, but I would never do that. Only if I was running offroad or racing.

u had 2 ideas here 1 was a 4bt (cummins 3.9 inline 4), a while i found one in a ranger, there is a whole forum for 4bt swaps i would look there for a little more info on the swap. Heres the site
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

your other idea was performance upgrades for your 5.0, you can find a lot of that stuff searching around the forum for a little bit.

i dont really know what your looking for performance or effiency, you can get pretty good power out of your 5.0, if thats what your looking for. the 4bt's are efficeint engine, but they have a very small after market, i think this is because pretty much the only place you find a 4bt is in a bread truck. your not going to get alot of power out of a 4bt like you would with alot of other diesel engines so if your looking for power a 4bt swap isnt what you want to do. plus the 4bt swap will be a lot of time, money and hard work

If I go with keeping the 5.0, I think boosting the perfomance will help the fuel economy. Kind of like my old 93 Bronco with the 351 and the auto got 18mpg while my 93 Bronco with the 302 and 5 speed got 13mpg. Not having to work the engine as hard will help mileage.

The 4BT was used in a lot of construction equipment, and I believe shares similar components as the 5.9. In either case, a lot can be done with a non-computer engine. I do not know what kind of power you can get out of these, but I think stock they are just under 100 hp. If you could double that, you would be looking at similar power levels of 302 with more torque. On the 5.9's you can double the power output by messing with the fuel pump, bigger injectors, and maybe a bigger turbo.

ya its easy to get power out of the 5.9 cause they made parts for them, it came in a truck that people mod. i dont see many high perfornace bread trucks or construction equpiment. I'm saying it can't be done, i know people mod 5.9 parts to work on the 3.9, but i dont know if it is practical. i have a friend with a dakota, he was seriously looking into the swap when he sat down and tried looked into it deeper he found out how much it would be, he decided not to do it. i'm not telling you not to do it i am just saying it is A LOT of hard work, money and custom work. i think it would be a really cool swap, and i would love to see you do it, but i would hate to see you bit off more than you can chew. if you decide to do it i would love to see pics

the 3.9 and the 5.9 share all of the same parts except for the cam,crank and the head, the internals are the same and even the turbo is the same as well as the injectors. yes it can be done.

I though so, but I'm just a dumb construction diesel mechanic. I've seen 6.6 Duramax engines in a 95 mustang, and several muscle cars, but they are expensive. I was thinking the 4BT would be a lot cheaper. I was just looking for info, not sure what I want to do yet. Not even sure if my wife will let me touch it.

I mean, I thought so.

I found this on a forum, sounds like injectors intercooler and turbo are the only money parts, not bad power either.

Ok here we go. Denny T ran the Ol' Chevy on the Dyno for me. It was a Mustang Dyno, The 4BT put down 217 HP and 553 FT LBS. Mods are Pump timed, Denny T stg II fuel pin, 3200 gov spring, star wheel down, fuel screw in almost to runaway, POD injectors, HY35 turbo, 3 1/2" exhaust, BHAF, 24x14x4 intercooler with all 2.5" tubing.

thats not bad considering that the 4bt only has on average 90-120 hp

I am not sure when I can do this, but I will be looking for a 4BT to build, then I can put it what ever when it is done. If it doesn't go in the explorer, maybe the 67 Galaxie fastback that my daughter wants when she turns 16 in 8 years. Gas for the stock 390 in 8 years may not be in my budget, plus the engine and trans is missing.

Back