I'm new to the forum, but not new to Aerostars. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Aerostars.

Went back to the junkyard today and got the seat and door pannel. The drawer was there and I should've gotten it but I was more concerned with getting home before dark so I could install the seat (which I did :D). I'll install the door pannel tomorrow.

Very happy with my new seat! No more half sagging junk, she sits great. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pictures please.

:ttiwwp:

pictures please.

:

Ask and ye shall recieve:

New door pannel for passenger side (still a little dirty):
1zfq55l.jpg

New seat (not much to see except it matches the rest of the XLT Mocha interior and its in great shape):
ipuu6c.jpg

The Aerostar plaque found a home between the sun visors:
24bup29.jpg

This morning I took the van up to a friends house and the "AIR BAG" lamp started flashing code 52. I read elsewhere on the 'net that this is "Low backup power supply voltage". Anybody know if there is a common issue/fix for this code?

you got some nice panels and upholstery, it's nice to revive these minivans. Thanks for the pics. Is your headliner like new?

as to the steering wheel air bag, I removed mine completely, disabled the electronics, gone. I don't trust it. these vans are getting old, those systems could start to fail, I don't want an old explosive device going off. besides, I always wear my seat belts.

No, the headliner is pretty trashed, which is why I didn't mind sticking the Aerostar badge on it.

I wanted to replace my entire headlining and I searched all over the USA including classic car suppliers; Nobody had the right color. One very nice individual told me where to find it and I did. I also found that a slightly darker Mocha color was an even better match to the rest of the interior than the original. It's called "Light Mocha". I got 6 yards to have spare material. 3/16" thickness is the only material that has the right shading, so that's what I used, turns out it's even more insulating. The company is called Miami Corp.
NOTE: the color sample looks like dark brown in the computer, but it is exactly like the door panels. Tell them to send you a sample first.

http://www.miamicorp.com/products/H...yDirection=&SearchKey=SK43300PM&CurrentPage=4

as to the steering wheel air bag, I removed mine completely, disabled the electronics, gone. I don't trust it. these vans are getting old, those systems could start to fail, I don't want an old explosive device going off. besides, I always wear my seat belts.

I just disconnected mine inside the steering wheel. I don't like popping surprises either.

Jose: Thanks for the link, but to be honest, the headliner is pretty low on my list of "to-do" items concerning the Aerostar. I'm more worried with getting it mechanicly sound including getting the A/C and power steering working again.

Today I finnaly got an air filter and the other Universal joint. Not sure when I can get to putting in the u-joints. My cousin was supposed to help me but not yet.

In airbag news, I talked to a buddy of mine and he said they got code 52 all the time on early airbag-equipped Taurus' (the "square bag" like we have) and it was a thermo fuse 99% of the time. So, he's going to talk to his buddy an see about getting him to fix my module for me if I take it out and send it to him. My friend also freqents junkyards looking for rare parts and so he's going to keep his eye out for a 1996 F-150 tachometer gauge cluster for me. :)

I just disconnected mine inside the steering wheel. I don't like popping surprises either.

if you disconnect the airbag plugs inside the steering wheel, the airbag light will start blinking, probably a Code 32 (clockspring). Are you not getting that?

if not, count your blessings, I did get the Code 32, so I disconnected the light blue SRS box plugs located under the dash, then the airbag light stayed ON all the time. Then I took the Fuse out, and the light stayed ON all the time again.

so I dismantled the dash, removed the gauges pod and removed the bulb, finally all quiet now. Man what a hassle.

I think Airbags should be optional equipment. People should decide if they want an explosive poison gas bag pointing at their face, I bet nobody would buy them.

that's why my 3 cars are old and rear wheel drive, they are simple, no gizmos, nada. If you try to replace the u-joints in a front wheel drive vehicle, you'll probably have to lower the engine to do it.

the link for the headlining material is so you know where to get it whenever or if, because nobody else has it except the Miami Corp.

hey I just got an idea! :scratch:

let's send all our airbags to the ayatollahs in the middle east with the message: "With Love from the USA" so that when they open the package...:fart:

:biggthump

Got new U-joints installed and it fixed the vibration! I am one happy Aerostar owner now!

Took her on a test drive and she was smooth as silk all the way up to about 85 when I let off. Before, it would start vibrating bad at about 50-55 and get worse as you went faster. SO happy that problem is fixed!

can you describe the vibration in more detail? what U joints did you use and where did you get them? did you have the driveshaft re-balanced?
thanks.

The vibration was very strong, it would rattle the whole van. It would go away if you totally let off the throttle. I also heard a rotational "squeek, squeek, squeek" that would get faster as you accelerated.

There wasn't much play in the u-joints but they were very old looking (probably original). I got the new ones from O Rilies (sp?) for $8.99 each (same part number for both the front and rear ones).

I just re-installed the driveshaft the way it came out, I dont know what you mean by having it ballanced. It was held in by four 12 MM bolts (to the rear axle) and slid out of the transmission easily once they were removed. It is aluminum, so it's very light weight. Taking it out and putting it in was a one-man job, and I'm not terribly mechanicly inclined (and I have a horribly bad back).

back in the 1960's and on, whenever we replaced u-joints, we would balance the drive shaft in a fast rotating machine, which simulated the drive shaft at speed, just like you balance tires and wheels? but in this case a machine made for balancing driveshafts and crankshafts. maybe that's a forgotten or un-needed step now a days, but the theory was that once you replace the u-joints, the drive shaft will be out-of-balance, just like a wheel & tire without balancing weights when you replace a tire.

Huh, well nobody mentioned that thus far and it doesnt seem like it needs any adjustment, as I said it's pretty smooth now and I'm extreamly happy with it!

Also got a fuel filter for it today, didn't get it put in yet but that will come monday. Also bought all three new wiper blades. Slowly, she's coming together!

I have replaced U-joints in numerous vehicles in the last 50 years and I have never heard of anyone needing to balance a shaft when changing the u-joints. And neither did I ever balance them.

Back