I'm new to the forum, but not new to Aerostars. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm new to the forum, but not new to Aerostars.

JohnAerostarXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Aerostar XLT
Last night I bough my 4th Aerostar, a 1996 XLT shorty with the 3.0L. Previously, I've had a '94 XL Plus, a '94 XL Sport (my favorite), and a 1989 XL extended-length.

So far, I've fixed a few things that were wrong with this 1996, burned out bulbs, etc. I also installed my custom 1997-style tail lamps.

This poor van needs a lot more work, and if I had the money, I'd already be getting started fixing her up. Overall, she runs well and shifts good so that's a good start. The cruise works, and that is a very good thing for me due to my bad back.

I just discovered that the check engine light was either disabled or burned out. I noticed after I found some vaccum leaks while replacing a head lamp bulb. I thought to myself "hum, MIL lamp should be on with vaccum leak like this," so I then turned the key from off to "ON" without starting and it didn't illuminate. So, that and the oil pressure gauge being out will be problems with the gauge cluster that I'll have to tackle.

Speaking of gauges, has anybody ever tried to swap in a tach gauge cluster from an F-Series of the same year? The gauges look very similar, I think that would be an awesome mod.

Next up is a strong vibration upon acceleration. I'm guessing either an engine mount or transmission mount.

The power steering system has a major leak somewhere, the previous owner stated it was either the pump or the rack. I'm gussing both are worn out at this stage (202,000+ miles).

Last on the agenda is the A/C. Right now he has a non A/C belt on the van to bypass the compressor which he said was out.

So, I've got my work cut out for me. Overall, though, the van is in fair condition and made the trip home last night (almost 90 miles) without a problem.

Looking forward to your replies. Hope this forum is full of Aerostar lovers like me! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are some pics.

1st is with the custom 1997-style tail lamps:
o6eb2a.jpg

Front:
15xwxvb.jpg

Welcome to this forum! Check the sticky threads on the top of this section for useful repair & troubleshooting information.

Thanks man! I have been checking out some of those stickys.

I'm a former Explorer owner too, I had a 1991 XL 5-speed 4-door 4WD (with the rare manual transfer case). I loved it but was stupid and traded it in on a Chrysler Concorde -- worst mistake of my life automotively speaking.

Found out that it's not a motor mount causing my vibration, it's the Universal joints. I'll be replacing those as soon as I can, too. Overall, despite the problems, I'm loving the van!

I've made a hard decision to scrap my 1992 Tempo. It's just too far gone and the money I make off of it will be put to use fixing the Aerostar. I do plan to keep the 1991 Tempo GLS though.

I'm on my third Aerostar since 1986 so I can relate...

yes, you can install a F-150 gauge pod in the Aerostar and have a tachometer. Some re-wiring of the two rear pod plugs is needed.

I've customized mine some too. Latest mod was to install a Expedition leather steering wheel, the best improvement I've done to it so far, the handling/steering has improved by a factor of 10, I feel very comfortable when driving it, don't know how to explain it, but two reasons must be that the Expedition wheel is about 1" inch closer to the dash and the grip is a lot thicker in the Expedition wheel. I actually hated the Aerostar steering wheel!

I also managed to mate the Cruise Control switches in the Expedition wheel to the Aerostar's wires; The Cruise Controls are working fine now. The Cruise controls are identical to the Aerostar controls but the wire colors are different, and also, the Expedition cruise switches are iluminated when the headlights switch is on, but the Aerostar's are not, so I'm still trying to figure out how to run the illumination wire through the steering column to tap a lights wire.

Also I painted the grille and Ford emblems same color as the body, and installed Hella Driving and Fog lights, and wired them to two separate switches per the pictures below.

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

Love your van! That Epedition wheel looks right at home. Do you get an airbag light or did you just delete that whole system?

I installed an aftermarket leather sterring wheel cover just this past weekend, and I gotta say I love the way it feels compared to the bare standard wheel. Given my budget and (lack of) wiring skills, I think it'll have to do for now.

I was really hoping the F-150 gauge cluster would be plug-in-play (the way a 2nd gen Taurus is, I have done many tachometer-swaps into those). I wonder how difficult it would be to wire in. I wish Ford had made analog tachometers avalable in the later Aerostars, especially the Sport models like my '94 was.

You have the same interior color as my 1996, my other vans all had grey interior. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time finding the correct seat color when I can afford to replace my driver's seat.

I'd love to have that "AEROSTAR" script pin striping, too. :)

Love your van! That Epedition wheel looks right at home. Do you get an airbag light or did you just delete that whole system? I installed an aftermarket leather sterring wheel cover just this past weekend, and I gotta say I love the way it feels compared to the bare standard wheel. Given my budget and (lack of) wiring skills, I think it'll have to do for now. I was really hoping the F-150 gauge cluster would be plug-in-play (the way a 2nd gen Taurus is, I have done many tachometer-swaps into those). I wonder how difficult it would be to wire in. I wish Ford had made analog tachometers avalable in the later Aerostars, especially the Sport models like my '94 was. You have the same interior color as my 1996, my other vans all had grey interior. I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time finding the correct seat color when I can afford to replace my driver's seat.
I'd love to have that "AEROSTAR" script pin striping, too. :)

I deleted the entire airbag system, it's OFF, however I can re-activate it anytime. I just don't trust an explosive device pointing at my face if you know what I mean. I know of people whose airbags went off without having an accident, I don't want to be next.

the F150 gauge pod has a tach in it, you just have to route a wire from the engine to the pod. The one from a 1996 F150 is the one you want. If needed, I can tell you where to get a complete write-up on doing it. Other forum members have done it already. All you replace is the center insert (the speedo) from your van, (to preserve the mileage counter), and insert it in the F150 pod.

yes, I have the Mocha/Lite Prairie Tan interior, I love it. If you search hard enough, I'm sure you'll find new or like-new seat covers. I'm always checking my local Craigslist for Aerostars being parted out.

the graphic-pinstriping on the sides came like that from the factory, it's an accessory, I think you can still get them. check with www.greensales.com

and don't sweat being broke, we are all broke amigo, I had to sell a bunch of stuff to buy a few Aerostar stuff :D

it's tough paycheck to paycheck but we all get through somehow. Things will get better. Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad.

:party:

Merry Christmas to you as well. :) I'm supposed to sell some Tempo parts tomorrow, if so I'll probably buy the Aerostar a few things it needs including new U joints and possibly a seat and a door latch at the junkyard if I have the time.

there is an eBay seller called AM Auto Parts and they have many new reproduction parts for the Aerostar, low prices and free shipping. www.am-autoparts.com

little by little, I'll get mine to like-new condition.

Well, I was 90% successful at the junkyard. I got the door latch for the slider (from an '87), got door pannel to replace my torn one, got replacement lift supports so my hatch stays open, but was one bolt short of getting a new driver's seat from the same '95 XLT I got the door pannel and lift supports from.

I will probably try again for the seat and possibly the passenger door pannel after Christmas.

I got the latch, pannel and lift supports installed already, now I'm off to replace the universal joint and hope it fixes my vibration/clunking/squeeking issue!

My "new" door pannel, sourced from a '95 XLT in the junkyard. MUCH better shape than the old one. I still need to get one for the passenger door, it's in even worse shape. Believe it or not, the clips are different from a '95 to a '96! They are slightly smaller on the '95 pannel, but I was fortunate enough to save enough of the old ones to attatch the new pannel.

Clean:
2ldhkqf.jpg

good job! looks nice too. the Mocha color is very rare.

what do you mean by "one bolt short"? you couldn't get it off? trouble is, the seat might not be there when you go back! it has happened to me.

also, are you trying to get the seat with the pedestal or trying to remove the seat and tracks from the pedestal? it's a lot easier to remove the 4 bolts at the bottom of the metal pedestal. you just need a 3/8" ratchet for best power and leverage. If the seat belt receivers are good, grab them! they are becoming extinct especially in Mocha. Also there is a drawer under the passenger seat that can be installed under the driver's seat too, so you end up with two drawers. It's a pain to remove but worth having.

also, if you're removing the seat and pedestal, go back and grab the emergency brake switch, you'll need it!

It was the star bolt that holds the seatbelt on top of the seat base on the rear right side. I have a star tool but my biggest one wasn't big enough. They wanted $36 for the seat and I didn't have enough that day anyway, so I'll go back with the proper tools and enough money after Christmas to get it.

I'm going to try to get the 3rd seat for my van as well, since mine is missing. I usually put it in the middle slot and make the van a 5-passenger vehicle.

I was unbolting the entire seat, incuding the base, from the floor of the van. I noticed the drawer but it was damaged, I think, I'll look again when I go back.

so the seat belt receiver is bolted to the seat base? funny, in my previous 1992 or now in my 1997, the receivers were mounted to the floor itself, not to the seat or its base.
I think you need a torx T30 to remove the seatbelt torx bolts, but don't take that as the last word, I could be wrong. Maybe the T30 size is for the sliding door latch and the front door catches. I always get them confused. If you do remove the sliding door Latch, also check the rear hatch Latch, I think they are identical. (the black plastic cover on the rear hatch Latch is just a finishing cover), my 1986 did not have it, those came later.

Turns out my dad has the correct torx/star/whatever. I'll definantly be going back for the seat now.

Here are some pics to show what I'm talking about:

This is the driver's side seatbelt mount with dad's torx in place to show where it is:
15pfxx0.jpg

This is the passenger side, same thing, just with the decorative cover still installed (never mind my dirty carpet lol):
kdv11c.jpg

In other news, I got my old-school Alpine installed in the Aerostar! I bought it for my Tempo GLS but since it has a factory amp, it wouldn't work (don't ask me why).

2eultu0.jpg

While I'm in the picture posting mood, here is my badly torn passenger door pannel:
28mo2o7.jpg

And an "AEROSTAR" logo plaque I snagged from that '87 in the junkyard, lol.

4ik6mu.jpg

I see, so the seat base or pedestal has a tab where the seat belt sits on? I got it.

that Aerostar emblem is rare, never seen one like it before.

The door panel: repairable. mine was like that, I fixed it better than new with a Walmart fiberglass repair Kit made by Bondo. Ford made the 1997 panels super-thin cheep cheep, so they crack taking the vinyl with it.

I first glued all the cracked sections I could, then I applied resin and fiberglass sheets, then another layer of resin. Stronger than new. Then I reglued the vinyl cover and with a vinyl repair kit started to patch any missing vinyl spots;

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

yes! my '86 had it too, I had forgotten about it. Also my '86 had a floor shifter, automatic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, it was on my '89 and my parents (bought-new) 1990.

About the door pannel repair, I think I'll just go with the good condition one in the junkyard to replace mine, but I'll keep your repair in mind for when/if it tears up again.

The people who had my van didn't take very good care of the inside. :(

Back