• Register Today It's free!

In an ST loaner

Cobra Jet

Reaction score
City, State
Southern, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS
So my 2018 S550 is in for warranty repairs and my Ford Dealer has put me into a 2020 Explorer ST loaner.

First I have to say - the Explorer has come a long way since we had owned a prior 2004...

Second - this 2020 ST is pretty damn cool overall. The truck definitely “giddy-ups” and Sport mode is killer. The one I’m in MSRP’d @ $58k. The overall redesign inside and out is really nice, definitely an improvement even over the prior Gen.

Since this is a loaner, I do have a few questions and comments. The questions are mainly because there is no owners manual in it.

Comments (I’ve read nearly all the posts in this 2020 sub-section):
1) Fuel sloshing - yes this exists and is more prevalent when coming to a stop. I don’t feel or hear it when accelerating or leaving a stop. I’ve read the thread about this and was just wondering more why it occurs only for some owners and not others. Is it possible there’s something loose within the tank?

2) Brake fade - IMO, having owned many Mustangs, other sports cars and large SUVs, the brakes on this ST are just “small”. I do feel like there is brake fade even coming down from say the average 65mph on the interstates or local highways. This thing is pushing 4700+ w/400HP and riding on 20” rims - Ford needs to put much larger front/rear rotors and calipers on the ST (or even Platinum).

3) The Auto Start/Stop (ASS) - Ford, stop putting this useless and annoying feature in your product line. I turn the damn thing off every time I start the ST. It’s just totally annoying, I can’t see how the Engineers feel this saves fuel - and more so IMO, it’s wear/tear on the starter. I saw it can be disabled via Forscan, but maybe someone just needs to create and incorporate a manual bypass with the ASS switch on the console.

4) The 10” Portrait SYNC - nice feature but IMO too large. It just looks like it’s stuck there and out of place. If anything, Ford should mount this so it can be swiveled L or R. Having it dead center and stationary, it’s an awkward reach for the driver to use while in transit OR even at idle. I’ve also noticed there is a lag or delay when going between features or screens - good ol SYNC OS, still buggy even after how many years of its initial roll out?? LOL.

5) 10R60 - no issues with this one. I read all the threads and responses about this trans on here. Every shift in THIS ST is smooth and without any clunkiness, jerkiness or lags. In all Drive Modes the trans really shifts nice and definitely performs great when in Sport or using the manual mode too. It has no issues either with the downshifts when coming to a stop or slowing down. Coming from my S550 w/10R80 - the 10R60 in THIS ST shifts hella way better than my 10R80.... I wish Ford could get the trans parameters ironed out on the 10R80...

Questions:
1) The “auto lamp” feature (headlights). How come every time I start the truck, it automatically defaults to auto lamps ON? I’ve looked for the feature to override it but can’t find it. It’s just (to me) annoying that the headlights come on when starting it every time in the morning when there is daylight.... Am I missing the override feature in the SYNC settings?

2) What is the little button on the left steering wheel stalk? I didn’t want to push it because I have no idea what it will do... lol

3) The remote start works great. But I’m puzzled as to why when I go into the SYNC settings, under “Remote Start”, it’s turned off but still works? Is this “remote start” for the WiFi option for Ford Pass or is it related to the fobs??

I’ve read the mpg discussions too. I can say that having been in this ST going on the 3rd week now and due to my daily driving and distance driven, it is getting 23.2 mph when it’s used in Eco/Normal mode. Pretty surprising again for a 4700lb+ 400HP Beast.

This is definitely a bargain Performance SUV for all the bells and whistles that comes with it - even at the $58k MSRP (which we all know can be discounted down depending on selling dealer discounts, avail Ford discounts/incentives and personal bargaining traits).

Thanks for the read and any replies.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You hear any clunking noises from what sounds like the front suspension?

2) What is the little button on the left steering wheel stalk? I didn’t want to push it because I have no idea what it will do... lol

It's for the lane departure feature if it is the same as my XLT. Does it look like lines with a SUV in the middle of it?

3) The remote start works great. But I’m puzzled as to why when I go into the SYNC settings, under “Remote Start”, it’s turned off but still works? Is this “remote start” for the WiFi option for Ford Pass or is it related to the fobs??

This is for the Ford Pass function.

You hear any clunking noises from what sounds like the front suspension?

I have felt no clunks or noises in front suspension. When entering/exiting a driveway, I do feel the transition, but nothing out of the ordinary like a problem with suspension. My daily route is on decent paved roads while others are more deteriorated and even then; driver at 35 or even 50 on those roads, I’m not feeling anything that stands out - the suspension is pretty smooth considering it’s a mid-size SUV.

It's for the lane departure feature if it is the same as my XLT. Does it look like lines with a SUV in the middle of it?

This is for the Ford Pass function.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it resembles a vehicle with lines on each side. If pressed, what does it do or activate (or does it turn off lane departure)?

LOL - that explains the RS. if that “Remote Start” is for the Ford Pass via WiFi, Ford should rename it with better clarity because one would think it’s the “remote start” features via the key fobs.

I think i hear a fuel sloshing sound that started 2 days ago. Only hear it from 0-5mph stop and go. Been trying to figure out the word for it but yeah sounds like fuel sloshing near the driver side door?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it resembles a vehicle with lines on each side. If pressed, what does it do or activate (or does it turn off lane departure)?

You’ll know by looking at the cluster. It will pop -up some lines when activated, each side representing whether it sees the appropriate side of the road’s markings.

I think i hear a fuel sloshing sound that started 2 days ago. Only hear it from 0-5mph stop and go. Been trying to figure out the word for it but yeah sounds like fuel sloshing near the driver side door?
Are you sure there isn't water trapped in the door? The fuel tank is in the back.

Peter

They have a street and race track brake package option with bigger brakes and calipers.

Are you sure there isn't water trapped in the door? The fuel tank is in the back.

Peter

Maybe I'm wrong could be brakes or something. Ill check the door for water or something.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The 2020 fuel tank is not in the back at all. It’s located under the truck, on the driver side, under a large plastic/felt covered shield.

I can certainly replicate the “sloshing effect” if I pull slowly in a parking spot under 5mph and apply the brake a few times - each time the “slosh” is present. I can feel it and hear it - almost as if something is inside the tank sloshing around. If it’s not something loose in the tank, then it has to be the result of fuel splashing around inside of the tank.

Currently the truck has 3/4 of a tank of fuel.

It’s definitely noticeable and can be felt/heard only on the driver side with all windows up and all interior systems completely off (ie: no front HVAC, no stereo, no rear HVAC, etc).

Sorry, going by past Explorers.:oops: I'll have to check out the posts showing the underside of the new Explorer. In that case, it could very well be "fuel sloshing".

Peter

So is the fuel sloshing normal for the explorer or something the dealer can fix?

In addition to the wind noise past 50 mph and this, I'm kind of embarrassed to take passengers. 2020 car and not being as quiet as it should be.

The auto-on default feature for automatic headlights is one I'd actually want. My sister drove our 2008 Explorer and turned the headlights off. My wife drove it next and didn't realize that she had no headlights for awhile because we normally leave the switch in auto.

My big beef about this and most new cars is the level of technology. Too many important features are accessible only from the touchscreen making driving unsafe. Even though it's boring to look at, I still prefer my '02 Tahoe with rotary dials for HVAC. I can adjust just about anything in the vehicle without taking my eyes off the road.

Yes, touch screen could be a nice feature, as long as the functions in it are not normally adjusted while driving. Keep radio, HVAC, heated seat, etc buttons as physical buttons! For this reason, we probably won't be buying any of the newer Explorers. We really like the layout of the 2008 Explorer. Swap it for a 3.5L Ecoboost and watch it go!

My big beef about this and most new cars is the level of technology. Too many important features are accessible only from the touchscreen making driving unsafe. Even though it's boring to look at, I still prefer my '02 Tahoe with rotary dials for HVAC. I can adjust just about anything in the vehicle without taking my eyes off the road.

I think the Explorer is actually one of the better vehicles in that regards.

Look at the new generation of Audis (A6, A7 etc.). You're lucking if you can find a knob on those in the first place...

Back