In/out free play in half-shafts to front diff? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In/out free play in half-shafts to front diff?

Originally posted by Jefe
I know that the first time I ever pulled a half axle it was a pain. took a prybar and a sledge...... I don't recall having any play when I got the truck....
Also, with as much play as the pictures are showing, the axle seal probably isn't doing any good, and i noticed the axle is actually rusting. May want to check the diff fluid.....

If it were me, I'd grab a couple circlips and axle seals from Ford and pull the front end apart. While you're doing that you'd be able to check all the other componnents for wear at that time; Tie rods, ball joints, hub assemblies, CV joints, axle bearings, and diff fluid (I'd change it out while you got it all apart).

Originally posted by Jsun I'm sure it's the exact same issue! Man were soooo close, only that you have spent alot more time and money into this.

Acctually I have been lucky that I am still under warranty with only $ out for an alignment and $50 deductible (twice) so well under $200. She has gotten new ball joints hub/bearing ass bushings, tie rod inners & outers

On monday it goes back to the dealer only because I refuse to pay another deductible. Front diff fluid is good and level was just changed about 5000 miles ago right before this problem was very very very faint. I am also going to have RE FIX my seat bolt recall that they "fixed" and is now about two inches fatter and hitting the door jamb when my seat goes back, not to mention the tupperware to cover the side of the seat is covering nothing and just plain looks like ass.

Anyone have any pics of the front CV and the space or play between the axle housing and diff. I am curious how it all looks inside and how it "should" be put together. I want ammo when I hit the dealer. I already copied a few pics of the CV ends that Jefe had posted on another thread.
I also plan to make them put the 99 AWD mounty they have roadside on the lift for comparison purposes. I also may crawl under their and snap a few pics.

I am wondering what sort of damage I may have to the cv and the diff. I have numerous front end related problems now that I can easily duplicate.

At 20 mph if I accel heavy or decel I get a massive clunk from the driveline. on accel I get a hesitation and a whining sound anytime I accel after slowing a bit, almost as if the front diff takes a sec or two to engage and you can hear it whine, esspecially noticible on turning corners and then accelling at 60-65 I get the same clunk on accel or decel, in addition when I push the button to turn OD off or on with my foot on or off the gas the I get a massive clunk.

My problems started off very very faint and are getting much worse, I am now also started to deveop a whine on the highway from the front and it just feels as if the front end is slowing the whole truck down at highway speeds and the engine is working a lil harder.

Thanks for the replies ....

JSUN if you get to take the rig apart please post back, and pics would be sweet if ya can:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by nole99

My problems started off very very faint and are getting much worse.

JSUN if you get to take the rig apart please post back, and pics would be sweet if ya can:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TIA

Man, you've explained in detail of what I am also experiencing. I also had a faint clunk/vibration and all gradually getting worse as the miles increase.

I wish the darn problem would just fail so I know exactly what it is, but that's not the case.

I don't have access to a camera at the moment, but will deffinetly post and share (if) any results with you.

I was thinking of cutting out a piece of rubber or something to use as a dampener for the cv just to see if the noise does go away. I'll see what I can come up with.

I also feel that the front end is draging the power out of my X, thus the reasoning for disco-ing my front drive shaft.

Cheers! Good luck!!!

J
(under the truck tomorrow if weather pervails)

99 Service CD indicates:

Caution:
(reassembly procedure)
On the RH side, check the retainer circlip for engagement after reseating the axel shaft and after installing the halfshaft in the axel.
On the LH side, check the retainer circlip engagement after installing the halfshaft in the axel.
When seated, the retainer circlip will "lock" the axel shaft and the inboard cv joint housing to the axel.

I'll have to climb under to ensure this clip is still there.
This is the service procedure for 99.

Now the next question is... If this clip is not found and requires one, what type of damage do we think is caused due to the slack in the axel shaft? Or should I get a couple circlips for this and hope for the best?

J

Re: 99 Service CD indicates:

Originally posted by jsun

I'll have to climb under to ensure this clip is still there.
This is the service procedure for 99.

Now the next question is... If this clip is not found and requires one, what type of damage do we think is caused due to the slack in the axel shaft? Or should I get a couple circlips for this and hope for the best?

J

From the looks of it there is no way to tell without acctually tearing it all apart.

I will be at the dealer tommorrow @7:30 am to roll some heads with this info. I plan to let them know I will be sitting in the waiting area and passing out a sheet summarizing my horrible experience to anyone who cares to look ....until they can find the problem and get the matter taken care of.... perhaps then they will get the picture that I am not going away.

As far as damage I want them to tear apart the entire front diff, axle, and half shafts. When I move the CV in and out of the diff I can hear it smacking into the guts of the diff...every clunk I hear is that same sound with 100 times the force ... can't be good for the guts of the diff. I am also going to be requesting the replace the seals to take care of the leak, and also replace the CV shafts as that in out play cannot be good for the bearing and races with the joint esspecially the inner joint.

Then if I am still having problems with clunking I want the trans case looked at.

Bottom line is with the drag I have been feeling over the last month there could be any sort of excess stress and I want it all looked seeing it is under warranty.

I will not go away ... until I get results

Anyone had done any further research ... my rattle is virtually gone .. FOR NOW :thumbsup:

Updates on my situation posted in my original thread rattle and clunk from front wheel wells

Still interested in what you find as well just in case ...

;)

Whoo hoo!!

Sorry for reviving a nearly 10-year old post, but just wanted to say thanks!

This confirmed my suspicions of my C/V in/out play with obvious signs of an excessive leak as not being "normal". I am having the EXACT issue with my Ranger and have been since about a week after I bought it.

I too got the stealership (not Ford, used car lot) run-around, took it back twice for this problem and a high speed extreme vibration issue.

Vibration was at it's worst when off the throttle, bad enough to the point where I couldn't hear myself yell at it! The drive-shaft ended up being f'd at the slip yoke and U-joints, removed crappy aluminum-can drive-shaft and replaced with nice steal one from a local drive-line shop... vibration GONE and the usual Ranger "clunk" at start/stop was even dampened significantly.

Knocks heard and felt in the wheel on bumpy roads or when starting/stopping but no additional noise while turning common with worn C/V's. I know what a bad C/V sounds like because my first car was a '90 accord which liked to eat them up. (Kidding, I know it was me being a stupid kid and being too hard on them.) Guess what the dealer did... drum roll........

greased the telescoping joint on the intermediate steering shaft, a ""shut up and go away fix".

Wow, this ended up being longer than I had planned... sorry for the rants, I really just wanted to express my gratitude, so glad I finally came across this post.

Cheers!

Back