• Register Today It's free!

free play in front wheels

tanbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
how much resistance should the front tires have when you jack it up and spin the front tires by hand. I can push as hard as i can and i get only 1 full revolution, maybe 1 1/2 if im lucky. On my 89 ranger the tire will spin probablly for close to 10 times. Im trying to see if that is hurting my gas mileage or if its normal for the control track. Im only gettin 16 mpg

Ck your brakes, usually the pads stick in the slides and affect turning of the wheels.

It's a good idea to check your brakes as mentioned. But if the brakes are fine and not dragging, I wouldn't worry about it, that sounds normal. You can't really compare it with the 89 Ranger because that's a different setup which uses disengaging hubs, where the axles, differential and driveshaft are stationary when not engaged. On the 2000 the front end is always engaged, meaning when you attempt to spin the wheel you are also turning the axles and driveshaft, not to mention the differential which is spinning through thick gear oil.

The brakes seem ok, i greased the pins the last time i had it apart. It must be normal then, turning the front diff and front driveshaft takes some effort.

Back