Incorrect Fuel Amount Used | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Incorrect Fuel Amount Used

This a soar subject, at idle your mpg drops considerably, really? Last trip mine said I had 335 miles to empty, filled up today, it says 240. This system sucks.

Yeah, really. Idling wastes gas and lowers your mpg. As to the system sucking, it's actually one of the better things I've found on the Explorer. The amount of fuel used is within 1/10 of a gallon, and mpg is within .2mpg every time I check it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our Trip Computer MPG estimate is usually around 0.3 MPG off (over-estimated), while the gallons used is usually between .1-.3 gallons off. Distance to empty seems to leave close to a gallon in the tank.

This a soar subject, at idle your mpg drops considerably, really? Last trip mine said I had 335 miles to empty, filled up today, it says 240. This system sucks.

As I explained to broken strut, there are many variables that the computer takes into account when calculating and showing Miles to Empty. What kind of MPG's did it register? I would guess that the MPG reading was lower when you got the 240 to empty reading then it was when you got the 335 figure.

When I compare the actual amount of fuel pumped to what the computer said was used, the figures are usually very, very close to being the same.

Peter

I get the point about showing 0 MPG when you are sitting still. But, mathematically it is correct to show 0 MPG...distance over fuel used. I typically have it up all the time and like to watch the impact my speed and the terrain is having.

I have same problem too as most, I put in usually about 3 liters more than the computer stated it was used, as well the average economy is off quite a bit (on the better side for the eyes) and I hate that! I had subaru outback before and it was off too until I calibrated it over time (there was a secret meniu to do this plus some other stuff), it was dead on every time after. Is there any possibility to do that with the explorer? Any way to fine tune that calculated fuel economy?

Thanks

Those who are getting a considerable variation, do remote start your car frequently? I noticed that the fuel used during remote starting is not registered in the trip computer. The more I remote start my car, the bigger the variance is.

I don't understand why this would be an issue to anyone. It's just an estimate to know "about" where your mpg or fuel consumption falls. It will never be 100% accurate no matter what way you calculate it.

It just gives me an idea what the Ex is doing in the way of mileage. I generally never go below 1/4 tank before filling up, so I don't worry about running out of gas.

I believe the fuel used data is calculated based on the amount of fuel the injectors are squirting and adds it all up.

When I first got the car, I noticed during winter time that the amount of fuel I used was more than what the fuel used told me.

However, during the summer time, it was pretty spot on.

After a while, the calculator now overstates the amount of fuel I have used by .1 gallons. I don't know if it's the K&N filter I installed but it definitely improved it. That's a great thing because now I know I am using less fuel than the car thinks its using. My MPG is actually higher than the calculated one on the screen. Using the fuel used calculation, I've been checking certain gas stations and some of them pump in less gas than stated. Does your state have stickers to say the fuel pumps at the gas station are accurate? If not, the pumps could be ripping you off too.

Now for my Ecoboost 2.0L Fusion, the calculation underestimates the fuel I used and that hasn't changed. Seems like the Ecoboost engines seem to be a little thirstier.

After reading all this, there maybe a little over thinking going on. I'm not fully up on what or how mileage is estimated through the system but, using conventional methods to calculate mileage, I see little difference on what the screen says.

That being said, I liked how the calculator worked in my '13 Mustang as I could reset everything and everything would go back to zero doing so and start all over again. This is what is missing with the Ex in my opinion and why some of you may be mystified. I look at it as just being different in that the mpg registered at the time of fill up does not change when you reset the odometer. Calculating with conventional method shows what's on the screen is accurate enough to show little difference and is the only figure I pay attention to. The MTE is always variable and changes under driving situations. The only thing it's really good for, IMO, is long distant mileage estimates. Other than that, the low fuel warning idiot light is good enough to remind me that I need to fill up soon. :salute:

........That being said, I liked how the calculator worked in my '13 Mustang as I could reset everything and everything would go back to zero doing so and start all over again. This is what is missing with the Ex in my opinion and why some of you may be mystified. I look at it as just being different in that the mpg registered at the time of fill up does not change when you reset the odometer
After I fill up. I reset the Instant Miles Per Gallon and everything goes to zero. You really can't reset the odometer on these vehicle except in trip 1 & 2.

Peter

It is what it is, if it can not be changed or made to be more accurate or calibrated to your driving style, that's fine, just wanted to know if anybody knows the way to calibrate it to be more accurate. As some above mentioned remote start, I use remote start but that is included in the mpg, I'm sure of that because I can see it instantly on the screen when it's running.

After I fill up. I reset the Instant Miles Per Gallon and everything goes to zero. You really can't reset the odometer on these vehicle except in trip 1 & 2.

Peter

Yes, I meant 'trip' odometer. :D

But, you say you can reset everything to zero in the Ex? Will have to investigate this because I want the stated and current MPG to be zeroed after I fill up. I want everything to be zeroed. :salute:

Back