Increased RPM on 2002 Ford Explorer XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Increased RPM on 2002 Ford Explorer XLS

jdp12678

Reaction score
City, State
Crawfordville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a 2002 Explorer XLS that has approx 125,000 miles. Recently the RPM's at Idle are running around 1,200 - 1,500 during the hot part of the day, I am not sure but I believe that normal RPM at idle would be 700 - 800. This is causing some worry as I do not want the vehicle to overheat, the increase in RPM has resulted in rising temp but not redline. I replaced the radiator about 1 1/2 years ago. I know the pump is working properly b/c I can see the coolant cycling in the fill tank. Any thoughts on why the RPM are running high would be greatly appreciated.:usa:

You most likely have a vacuum leak somewhere. Listen carefully under the hood while it's idling, and you might be able to pinpoint it. If not, have a helper shut the engine down while you listen under the hood. Might have to start and stop it a few times to find it, but it'll hiss for a second or two as the engine shuts down, and it's sometimes easier to hear with less other noises intruding.

Back