induction not fitting on a '97 Eddie 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

induction not fitting on a '97 Eddie 5.0?

Fat Boy

Reaction score
City, State
Orange, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
i went to a performace shop this week and asked about an induction kit for my 1997 Eddie 5.0.

he looked up a K&N but when he went and looked at my current filter he said it would fit because of a flat screen, or a flat screen filter or something along those lines, i cant remember the exact terms..

but, i was wondering, the KKM, is it made especially for Explorers, and will it fit my truck?

also, if it does fit how hard is it to install, and does it replace the whole air box thingy? and bout how much more power will i get out of it, is it worth 92 bucks?

thanks folks. :D :exp: :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is very easy to install (30 min. tops) and yes the performance gains are definitely worth the hundred $. It also compliments new exhaust very nicely, if your thinking about that.

great, so it will fit on my flat screen whatever or not?

and yea, a new exhaust will prolly be the last mod i do, i was considering a borla cat back...

On my 5.0 I have the same prob. I have been told that since I have the flat rectangular filter that I can't do an intake.

K&N...

I am not sure if I am understanding you right, but I think I might have ahd the same problem as you have. My 97 X 4.0 had the flat rect. filter as well. But when I bought the K&N Filtercharger which came with the conial filter, I had to remove the filter and the airbox in order to create space for the new filter to fit...
So, I am not completely sure what your problem is...
Let us know.

Quakecom

i was told the because of the flat rectangular filter inside the air box thing that i couldnt use a K&N, but i was curious if it would be the same with the KKM induction kit.

doesnt the KKM replace the whole stock intake air box?

K&N and KKM

Yes, both the K&N FilterCharger and the KKM replace the whole airbox. What you basically do is disconnect the MAF from the airbix, take it out and connect your new filter (K&N or KKM) to it.

Quakecom

Yep, you got to remove the stock air box. Just pull it out. It's in there pretty good but it will pop out with some pulling.

Back