install inline fuel check valve, instead of new pump | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

install inline fuel check valve, instead of new pump

99explorerxltv6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer xlt
My 99 explorer loses fuel pressure when the key is off. I generally have to crank it a minimum of 3 times in order to start it. Runs fine when started. I have figured out my fuel pressure regulator that is built in the fuel pump assembly is bad. It allows fuel to drain back into the tank. I absolutely can not afford a new pump. Have researched about putting an inline fuel check valve to fix the issue until I can get a pump. But confused on info about the best place to install it: by the fuel filter? Under the hood or back I front of tank? Also read that some vehicles will be overpressurized if installed, causing fuel lines to burst...... Has anyone used check valve instead of dropping tank? Please help.

Save your nickels and do it once...the right way...and your questions will be non-issues. The pump is on it's way out and will leave you stranded before long, patch job Mickey Mouse fix or not.

Bill

inline check valve

The check valve on our Explorers and my Volvo are part of the fuel pump assembly. Replacing the fuel pump or the regulator does not replace the check valve. Since the assembly is fairly expensive for Volvos it is not uncommon for owners to install an inline check valve. They usually install it on top of the engine in the hose between the fuel pressure regulator and fuel rail. If the check valve fails there would not be excess pressure because it is after the regulator. Unfortunately, with our Explorers the only flexible hose is from the fuel tank to the frame rail.

save your nickels and do it once...the right way...and your questions will be non-issues. The pump is on it's way out and will leave you stranded before long, patch job mickey mouse fix or not.

Bill

^+1

Back