install pressure plate?

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
hey, i need some help here. i just tried to install my clutch pack.

isn't the pressure plate suppose to be tightened to the flywheel until it is flush with the flywheel?

i took my flywheel (outside of the truck) and layed the clutch disc on it and then put the pressure plate on and lined it up with the pins. the pressure plate's outside shell sits about 4-6mm above the flywheel. i guessed that was just because the springs weren't being compressed yet. i figured the 6 bolts you put in the pressure plate would just tighten the pressure plate flat on the flywheel.

so i bolted it up to the truck, keeping in mind the 24 ft/lb torque rating for the six pressure plate bolts. but 24ft/lb wouldn't even start turning the bolts in the flywheel. it was so hard just to tighten the bolts that i broke the heads off two of them and stripped the threads in the flywheel.

your suppose to tighten it till its flat up to the flywheel, right? were these defective or the wrong size bolts, i ordered them from the dealership and the part number looked right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

here are some pictures:

Attachments

• pressure spacing problem1.jpg
    pressure spacing problem1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 348

and

Attachments

• pressure spacing problem2.jpg
    pressure spacing problem2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 274

and2

Attachments

• pressure spacing problem2.jpg
    pressure spacing problem2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 284

you can see from the pictures how i never was able to get the pressure plate to sit completely flat on the flywheel. the first one shows how i almost got one side flat but the other two sides were a couple mm's off. i stripped all the threads trying to torque it harder and i now have some cracks on the clutch disc. i heard it cracking under the pressure. it seemed like an aweful amount of pressure but shouldn't a clutch disc be able to take that pressure?

the flywheel cost me about $150 from the dealer and the threads are now ruined. can i return the flywheel and get a new one on the basis that their bolts were defective and therefor ruined the flywheel?

Back