Installed CAI And Now Check Engine Light Is On | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed CAI And Now Check Engine Light Is On

FordGuy77

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I recently installed the cold air intake and now the check engine light is on. What can I do to remedy this? It is an aftermarket CAI that I had to modify to put my MAF into it. Any help would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it use a K&N filter? To much oil on the filter will allow a film of oil to from on the MAF causing the CEL.

If that's the case, then what do I do? Can I just clean the MAF with some sort of degreaser? And no, it's not a K & N filter, it's an AutoZone special :)

Use an electrical contact cleaner. Make sure to use one that des not leave a residue after it dries.

After you check clean everthing about the MAF etc.
Did you disconnect the battery after you put it in? I've read sometimes the engine may need to re-learn with a CAI.

No, I did not disconnect the battery. I will try that too.

it is def true that it takes some time for u to get better gas mileage with a cone filter... the check engine light shouldnt have happened though... make sure the filter is sealed off well cuz if its not, the engine could be running rich and getting too much air... my filter was about halfway on and i was getting the problem code for a rich mixture... tightened it back on and check engine dissappeared

Did you have the code scanned? Also check the you plugged the MAF back in and that it's in tightly. I once cleaned my MAF and then drove to work. Threw a CEL code and nearly had a fit - looked under the hood and had a good chuckle.

Oh snap! Well how do you prevent that CEL? I'm scheduled for this on Tues/Wed. Is this oil film common? I already have K&N, but not with a cai.

i think the code for running rich was p174 or p177 or something.. something with 170 im pretty sure.. ill look it up

I recently installed the cold air intake and now the check engine light is on. What can I do to remedy this? It is an aftermarket CAI that I had to modify to put my MAF into it. Any help would be great.

You have the slot-in type of MAF sensor. What vehicle was the CAI made for? Was it an Explorer or was it another vehicle? If it was for another vehicle then how big is the diameter of the tube where the meter bolts into compared to stock? It would be helpful if you had the code pulled so we knew which one you are dealing with. I didn't notice it posted above...

Oh snap! Well how do you prevent that CEL? I'm scheduled for this on Tues/Wed. Is this oil film common? I already have K&N, but not with a cai.

It usually happens when the filter is new or when you re-oil it. The cotton will only hold so much oil. The rest has to have somewhere to go if you over oil it.

Got it... so it's wait and see. No prob, thanks!

that K&N filter oil is a myth, ive been using K&Ns for over 15 years. and ive oiled the hell out of them.

check your connections for your MAF, check your MAF orientation, its easy to put them in backwards. check vacuume lines, check your hose clamps.

rocket 5979 is on the rite track. i believe the explorer has a 2.5" MAF, if you got an ebay special, you cant just slam your MAF sensor in it, its very sensitive to size of the tube, orientation, etc...

check your connections for your MAF, check your MAF orientation, its easy to put them in backwards. check vacuume lines, check your hose clamps.

Actually the MAF bolt pattern only allows it to insert into the tube one way. If you insert it backwards then the bolt flange will not line up and the MAF will not secure.

Actually the MAF bolt pattern only allows it to insert into the tube one way. If you insert it backwards then the bolt flange will not line up and the MAF will not secure.

sorry i was thinking 'old school'

sorry i was thinking 'old school'

Even with the tonsil style MAF's I am 99% sure there is only one way to insert them according to the bolt pattern for mounting the electronics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the truck to Autozone and have them scan the code, then let us know what it was.

Back