Installed Muffler, Still not quite there. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed Muffler, Still not quite there.

Scott.S

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT
Hey everyone, So I installed a thrush welded muffler to the 4.0. While it sounds much better with the added growl and low rumble it still feels a bit quiet, it maybe added 40% more sound and gave it a sick tone, upper powerband is definitely improved, highway driving is much better.

Im looking for a tad more volume though. Thought of removing the resonators and dumping the exhaust out infront of the rear tire but not too keen on adding unappealing noise. I love the tone just wish it was louder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although Thrush and Dynomax are owned by Tenneco, it's difficult for me to make a comparison because my Dynomax Super Turbo is a completely different design and likely much quieter than your two chamber Thrush Welded. Super Turbo note is low but very tame. I removed the resonator, ran it over the axle reusing the curved pipe going out the side, and straight out the back under the bumper. Slight increase in loudness without any added drone or rasp at highway speeds. If I had to guess, about a 2 dB loudness gain from the drivers seat. Your plan would likely be more dramatic running the tip in front of the right tire. It's difficult if not impossible to make V6 engines sound decent, especially these SOHC's. Sounds OK up to about 2500 revs, anything above sounds ricey IMO. Contrary to what some people claim, a V6 will never sound like a V8 regardless of displacement, it's all about harmonics. BTW, there is only ONE resonator, and it's located directly behind the muffler.

Internal resonator pic if you're curious.
XQTAo51.jpg
46vpHfo.jpg
Y9R3Drl.jpg

Although Thrush and Dynomax are owned by Tenneco, it's difficult for me to make a comparison because my Dynomax Super Turbo is a completely different design and likely much quieter than your two chamber Thrush Welded. Super Turbo note is low but very tame. I removed the resonator, and reused the curved pipe going out the side, and ran it back under the bumper. Slight increase in loudness without any added drone or rasp at highway speeds. If I had to guess, about a 2 dB loudness gain from the drivers seat. Your plan would likely be more dramatic running the tip in front of the right tire. It's difficult if not impossible to make these V6 engines sound decent, especially SOHC's. They sound OK up to about 2500 revs, anything above sounds ricey IMO. Contrary to what some peple claim, a V6 will never sound like a V8 regardless of displacement. It's all about harmonics. BTW, there is only ONE resonator located directly behind the muffler. Here's a cutaway pic if you're curious.

XQTAo51.jpg
Okay sounds good, I was deciding between just cutting out the resonator and replace it with some straight pipe or the reroute out front the rear tire. I think I'll just cutout the resonator section and put in some pipe to replace it. Keep it simple.

Yeah it will never sound as good as a v8, but its good to know there won't be a lot of drone without the resonator. All I need is a teeny bit more volume which hopefully a reso delete will add without excess drone. The thrush sounds mean and throaty under 2500rpm above that it reaches a plateau and it doesnt change tone at all, just a nice low hum. Looks like a resonator delete is in order.
Thanks for the info.

My ST, with totally stock exhaust, is about as quiet as exhaust can be. IMO that's the best way for anything (other than a V8) to sound. Even V10's don't sound as good as a V8 with louder than stock mufflers. I'd say the stock Mustang 5.0's have the best exhaust note w/out be obnoxious.

I have 2 neighbors (brothers) who have 5.4-5.8 V8 pickups and the idiots run straight exhaust. They wake me (and the rest of the neighborhood) up every morning at 7:30 when they leave for work, It's probably at least a 1/2-3/4 of a mile before you can't hear them anymore. They also like leaving burnouts tire marks all over our streets (these are men in their 40's). Totally obnoxious rednecks!

To each his own I guess.

Have to agree koda. So many comments on the MyST forum how restrictive the stock exhaust was, I took a chance and modified it. Figured replacing the HUMONGOUS stock muffler and deleting the resonator would give a little added oomph, and a slight MPG gain. Louder, but no power or mileage improvement that I could tell, and sometimes feel the perceived gains that ST owners report is between the ears and their butt dynos. One thing I don't regret is getting rid of that dorky pipe sticking out the side. LOL

Years ago I had a friend who asked me to install electronic ignition on his BMW motorcycle. Afterwards he drove it around the block and came back and said it was more peppy/faster. I told him that I doubted it was any faster and that he just believed it felt faster. He thought about for a few seconds and said. "well what's the difference". I couldn't argue with his logic.

Back