Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

Here are a bunch of pictures of the Baton headrest. This is just after I installed the one on the driver's side, so the passenger seat headrest was still the OEM. The Baton is tilted all the way forward, which basically makes it vertical in the Explorer. The position is about the same as the OEM headrest, but the front is flat while the OEM is rounded, which makes the OEM protrude farther forward. I wouldn't mind another inch of forward movement, but it's a whole lot better placement than the Autotain was. I'll post more pics of both headrests installed when I get the Ex back from the body shop.

http://www.photobucket.com/baton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look more like OEM then the OEM Invision I have.

Very nice, how much cheaper then OEM were they?

IS there any loss of functionality from Invision set?

Those look more like OEM then the OEM Invision I have.

Very nice, how much cheaper then OEM were they?

IS there any loss of functionality from Invision set?

The Batons are just under $1100 for a pair. I believe the OEM Invisions are a $2000 option.

I don't know exactly what functionality the Invisions have, but I believe the Batons can do more. Each Baton has two A/V inputs and one output. These are located under the seats so i dont have any RCA cables hanging from the headrests. I have Sirius Backseat TV connected to input 1 on each headrest. Then I have them connected to each other on input 2. In this configuration either kid can watch TV or a movie independently or they can both watch TV or both watch different movies or both watch the same movie. The inputs are easily selectable through the touchscreen or remote. Each headrest also has built-in stereo speakers that can get pretty loud, so you don't have to use the FM transmitter, which is definitely a good thing. Wired or wireless headphones can also be used, of course, with two separate channels. There's also a USB port and SD card slot for playing movies, music, or pictures. The fact that the screens are completely covered by a motorized shield when not in use is also a great feature.

Is there anything that the Invisions can do that I'm missing?

The Batons are just under $1100 for a pair. I believe the OEM Invisions are a $2000 option.

I don't know exactly what functionality the Invisions have, but I believe the Batons can do more. Each Baton has two A/V inputs and one output. These are located under the seats so i dont have any RCA cables hanging from the headrests. I have Sirius Backseat TV connected to input 1 on each headrest. Then I have them connected to each other on input 2. In this configuration either kid can watch TV or a movie independently or they can both watch TV or both watch different movies or both watch the same movie. The inputs are easily selectable through the touchscreen or remote. Each headrest also has built-in stereo speakers that can get pretty loud, so you don't have to use the FM transmitter, which is definitely a good thing. Wired or wireless headphones can also be used, of course, with two separate channels. There's also a USB port and SD card slot for playing movies, music, or pictures. The fact that the screens are completely covered by a motorized shield when not in use is also a great feature.

Is there anything that the Invisions can do that I'm missing?

Those sound pretty good. Is there any chance you take snap some pictures of the install and them in action? Thanks :)

Those sound pretty good. Is there any chance you take snap some pictures of the install and them in action? Thanks :)

The pictures I posted are all I've got until the Ex comes back from the body shop. I'll take some more then, but it will probably be a couple of weeks.

One cool feature of the Batons I forgot to mention is that they're easily removable with a quick-release slider. That might be handy if you park in a sketchy part of town and have any concerns of theft.

It actually sounds like those Batons have more features then the OEM Invision.

Invision has no covers

Invision has similiar inputs but using the USB is very limited, I still cant get it to read an Mpeg4 movie, pictures are limted, never tried music files.

Invision has no external speakers and the stereo intergration through FM transmitter is terrible audio.

You probably found the best aftermarket solution for the Explorer at half the price.

this headrest is made by Eonon? What's the relationship between Onfair and Eonon? They are the same company?

DVD Player

I'm trying to decide on DVD headrests. The 2 that I'm looking at are the custom headrests from headrestvideo.com and the new Autotain Dreams from onfair.

I am leaning toward the custom headrests as I really want the factory look and they have them for the 2013 Sport with Sienna inserts now. They are quite a bit more expensive though and only have 7 inch screens vs. 9 inch on the Autotains.

Does anyone have any experience with the custom headrests?

I got the factory DVD headrests as an option on my '13 Sport. I am absolutely satisfied. I have 2 little kids that love them. They run as an A and a B meaning they can each watch their own movies. They come with wired headphones and support wireless headphones. They are good quality and the workmanship is outstanding. The option said it was a dealer installed option but when my order came everything was hooked up and ready to go. I could see this becoming a sloppy burdened messy job if not done right after market. One downside is you can't control either headrest from the SYNC console which is a pain. You have to use the supplied remotes. Other than that order it from Fordparts.com. The parts and labor would be covered and supported by Ford warranties.

I just couldn't see paying that much for the factory players. If they would have been tied in with sync or at least matched the factory seats, I would have gone that route.

I installed a roof mount player in my last car and have done plenty of other car audio work so I know I can handle the install myself. The headrest players will be much easier to install than a roof mount player plus the kids can each watch their own shows that way.

I can't see how the sienna insert is worth $900+, and you get a smaller screen. The only possible reason to pay that much, I guess, is because there are reports that the autotain units are pretty far back compared to the factory headrests.

I've ordered the dream units, but probably won't install until next weekend, at the earliest. I'll report back then, but at that price, and with the features the autotain's have, it was a no-brainer for me at least.

I got the factory DVD headrests as an option on my '13 Sport. I am absolutely satisfied. I have 2 little kids that love them. They run as an A and a B meaning they can each watch their own movies. They come with wired headphones and support wireless headphones. They are good quality and the workmanship is outstanding. The option said it was a dealer installed option but when my order came everything was hooked up and ready to go. I could see this becoming a sloppy burdened messy job if not done right after market. One downside is you can't control either headrest from the SYNC console which is a pain. You have to use the supplied remotes. Other than that order it from Fordparts.com. The parts and labor would be covered and supported by Ford warranties.

I have the factory Ford OEM Invision LT Series and I agree with this assessment.

The ability to watch two different shows is important if you have 2 or more kids.

The only thing I find frustrating is the complete disconnect to the front MFT screen. The FM Modulation audio is absolutely terrible for those who want audio throughout the cabin.

Just a suggestion for those with younger kids who can't operate the remotes themselves, it might be an idea to get the Sirius TV Tuner and that will allow kids TV shows to play continuously.

There's some info in a previous post about how to find it.

I've ordered the dream units, but probably won't install until next weekend, at the earliest. I'll report back then, but at that price, and with the features the autotain's have, it was a no-brainer for me at least.

Any update on the install and your view of the autotain dream? I got a tiny sample material sample it it looks almost identical to the charcoal black. I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the dream units.

I installed the unit on the drivers side, but don't have any pictures at the moment. I really like it, and think it is a great bargain. That said, as others have cautioned, because the way the explorer is designed, the headrest probably sits 3-4 inches back of where the normal headrest sits. I don't use the headrest, so I don't care too much about this, but I just want to make sure you are aware of the issue -- which is certainly an explorer issue, not an autotain issue. General TSO has said the Baton units are better, but not perfect. For me, this issue is not worth the $1000 it would take to get unit to set closer.

Otherwise, as far as features go, the dream units seem to have it all, look great, and are very reasonably priced. There is another thread for instructions on connecting to the fusebox, which was pretty easy once I removed the panel to get access to the fusebox (seriously, Ford, the fusebox placement is absolutely ridiculous).

I broke down and bought the black Autotain Dream units. I absolutely hate them. I didn't think the position would be that big of a deal for me but it is. The color match is perfect but I guess I didn't realize how much I use the headrest. I am hoping they grow on me but so far, I like them less the more I look at them. I might have to try to sell them.

The players themselves are nice. Not crazy about the high pitched squeal when they get power but picture quality looks good.

Sorry to hear that. I've been devising a method to get the headrests to sit in a better position. I'm still tinkering with it, but I came up with a pretty good solution using some hardware parts from home depot. Threaded rod in the lamp section is the exact same size as the posts going into the headrests. So, I used a small bracket, which I bent a little, to move the headrests forward a couple inches. I can try to put pictures of a more complete walkthrough up this weekend. I'm still tinkering, and its not perfect as the headrests are a little wobbly (but I think a couple extra nuts will fix that). Here is a picture of what I came up with. With this mod, the headrest sits about 1 inch further back then the factory headrests.

IMG_0027.png

I might have to try to sell them.

You may be able to return them. Officially, Onfair doesn't have a return policy but Brandon's pretty good about customer service. If you hate them, he'll probably let you return them for a refund. He did for me.

I thought about getting the DVD headreast with my Ex.. At almost 2k thought it would be better and less expensive to buy a couple tablets for the kids. Load em up with all the games and movies they like and go. The best part is they can take them out of the car and no wires to hookup. Seemed like a much better entertainment solution than the DVD headrests.. Just my $0.02.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

resurrect again..... sorry guys but this is a good thread, after reading it, i just bought 2 sets (4 players total) of the onfair dvd headrests for our new 2013 XLT. installing these for viewing on the second row is well covered here, but what about for the 3rd row? i have a lot of kids, so 4 of these will be nice. i got them in yesterday.

anyone install them for third row yet? advice? tips? can i run all 4 off the same fuse tap?

thanks!

Back