Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

Sorry to barge in on this conversation, but does anyone happen to have the wiring schematics or installation instructions for the Invision DVD headrests? I noticed that PDF instructions were posted, but are currently unavailable to access.

Reason being is because I am installing a Raspberry Pi in my Explorer and wanted to see if there was a cleaner way of wiring it to the AV ports on the DVD headrests. I wanted to see how the current setup looks like and how it is connected in the vehicle.

What I am planning on doing is using RCA from the Pi to 3 Y splitters (for each color), where one set connects to the MFT and the second set is wired back to one of the headrests. My only issue is figuring out how to hide the wiring to the headrests.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SGT1411-

Thanks for the DVD referral as we just had the Advent systems installed today! The system is clean and looks factory. By chance does anyone know with the USB drive what is the format the movies should be? That's the one question that no one seems to know. I've briefly searched but I need to get the kiddies ready for tonight.

removing seat back or cover to install headrest DVD

I want to install a couple headrests with built in DVD on the driver and passenger seats. How do I get the seat back open? Do I have to slide the whole cover off or can I just get the back off there?

Reading through the thread I was linked to answered my seat question, but also wanted to see if anyone has the Concept Chameleon players against the medium light stone interior. How well does it match up?

i have a 2006 explorer and was going to install dvd headrest like these. is there a trick at the bottom of the seat to get the wires to come out? im having issues with it not going all the way thru

(Member was advised this was the 2011 - 2016 Forum and was provided the link to the proper forum where he re-posted his question)

i have a 2006 explorer and was going to install dvd headrest like these. is there a trick at the bottom of the seat to get the wires to come out? im having issues with it not going all the way thru

I had to poke around a bit but it finally came out. This may be a dumb question, but did you unhook the seat cover at the bottom?

Oh if yours is an 06 you may want to ignore my post..lol

I'm trying to put the factory Invision DVD headrests in my Explorer but I have no idea where the control box is supposed to be mounted. I can't believe the entire center console has to be removed but I have about 50% of it removed now and I still don't see where to put the control box. It's huge. It's the Invision LT system specifically for the Explorer from Ford Accessories but it came with no instructions. Emails to Invision result in them telling me to call the dealer, the dealers play dumb and I am bounced around to Service and Parts then back to service before they tell me "we don't know, that's a factory installed option." WTF why can't I just get the installation instructions for a 2011-2015 Ford Explorer? I have a 2012 Limited with every option. I have all sorts of control boxes and wiring under/in my center console.

The link to the 2011 instructions link is dead and it's 5 years old. Someone has got to have these instructions laying around...

You might want to start looking under the driver seat first that's where my factory installed control box is located.
If you need me to take a pic for you i can

A pic would help, but I finally got some help from Invision when I called. Emails weren't working. After hours of fiddling around and taking apart half of my center console, they said "the instructions say just put it under the carpet under the drivers seat." I ended up putting it in the indentation on the right side under the seat, but NOT under the carpet in case I had to get to it later for whatever reason. I have the Invision set for a 2015 Explorer and the control box is different than the one that comes with the 2012 kit, however it is the same T-harness that draws power and now I have two functional headrest DVD players for $400 and they're factory matched. Worth it.

Sounds like you got it working but I will snap a pic tonight and mine was factory installed in my 2014 Ex Sport but it is on top of carpet under driver seat and that turned out to be a good thing when one of them got busted by my son trying to jam the disc in. Invision replaced free of charge.

A pic would help, but I finally got some help from Invision when I called. Emails weren't working. After hours of fiddling around and taking apart half of my center console, they said "the instructions say just put it under the carpet under the drivers seat." I ended up putting it in the indentation on the right side under the seat, but NOT under the carpet in case I had to get to it later for whatever reason. I have the Invision set for a 2015 Explorer and the control box is different than the one that comes with the 2012 kit, however it is the same T-harness that draws power and now I have two functional headrest DVD players for $400 and they're factory matched. Worth it.

Where did you get it for $400 ?

I'm trying to put the factory Invision DVD headrests in my Explorer but I have no idea where the control box is supposed to be mounted. I can't believe the entire center console has to be removed but I have about 50% of it removed now and I still don't see where to put the control box. It's huge. It's the Invision LT system specifically for the Explorer from Ford Accessories but it came with no instructions. Emails to Invision result in them telling me to call the dealer, the dealers play dumb and I am bounced around to Service and Parts then back to service before they tell me "we don't know, that's a factory installed option." WTF why can't I just get the installation instructions for a 2011-2015 Ford Explorer? I have a 2012 Limited with every option. I have all sorts of control boxes and wiring under/in my center console.

The link to the 2011 instructions link is dead and it's 5 years old. Someone has got to have these instructions laying around...

I have the Ford OEM DVD Installation Guide if you want a PDF copy then send me a PM with your email and I will send it.

Where did you get it for $400 ?

eBay. There is (maybe was) a guy selling them for a 2015 Ford Explorer and I made a couple of best offers. He contacted me and said he could do it through paypal for cheaper. I agreed since paypal has better protection than ebay anyway and he sent me an invoice. Items were brand new, unopened, and worked perfect. Worth it!

Edit: Just checked and the seller sold them all.

I reached out to Audiovox about their larger 8" headrest system with all the options (independent dvd playback, android, hdmi, game) with the black headrest with gray/white stitching for my Platinum. Got a call today from the local vendor they connected to me. They quoted $1400 installed. Seems like a pretty good deal. Would love to hear what others think.

I wonder if there's any difference in reintegrating an OEM (Invision) headrest DVD from a pre-2016/17 Explorer into a new 2017 model - mainly ue to the minor electronics update with Sync 3. I have a new 2017 XLT and am considering buying a set of these off EBay.

I wonder if there's any difference in reintegrating an OEM (Invision) headrest DVD from a pre-2016/17 Explorer into a new 2017 model - mainly ue to the minor electronics update with Sync 3. I have a new 2017 XLT and am considering buying a set of these off EBay.

I have the OEM Invision LT Series headrest DVD's in my 2014 now and they will be transferred to my 2017 when it arrives. Just have to swap the actual headrest as the new interior has red stitching.

The only difference is how Ford suggests the power is connected.

Remember SYNC3 or MFT is in NO WAY connected to the headrests, they don't control or display anything from the headrests, other than FM transmitted audio. Very poor design compared to GM and Dodge.

The audio connection to the front multimedia is wireless FM and its TERRIBLE.

I have a 2013 XLT...black cloth interior (my personal preference as I ordered this vehicle). I've been debating waiting another year or 2 and buying a Sport with a couple more options. But now we're talking new house...so instead I've decided to add a few things to this one. Right now we have a removable DVD player mounted to the passenger seat headrest for our 4 yr old. Any recommendations for headrest DVDs players? Does anyone carry cloth?? All I have seen are leather and I'm not sure how that would look. She also has an iPad but it's older, so won't hold much in the way of movies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2013 XLT...black cloth interior (my personal preference as I ordered this vehicle). I've been debating waiting another year or 2 and buying a Sport with a couple more options. But now we're talking new house...so instead I've decided to add a few things to this one. Right now we have a removable DVD player mounted to the passenger seat headrest for our 4 yr old. Any recommendations for headrest DVDs players? Does anyone carry cloth?? All I have seen are leather and I'm not sure how that would look. She also has an iPad but it's older, so won't hold much in the way of movies.

The Ford OEM ones are very expensive unless you can find them cheap on EBay.

There are a lot of the cheap Chinese kits on Ebay that would work for a couple years and they have cloth options.

I kinda lean toward buying a newer iPad, getting the safe iPad mount and then you have a solution for the vehicle and the house.

Back