Installing keyless entry and remote start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing keyless entry and remote start

stubborn1

Reaction score
City, State
WISCONSIN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'21 4wd XLT
Hi all,

I'm considering installing keyless entry and a remote starter for my X. I really only need the keyless entry, but it looks like it won't cost me too much more to add the remote start at the same time. I've read a bunch of posts on this issue and it looks like the Bulldog 1100 may be the unit I'm looking for. I have a couple of questions regarding the installation.

1. The T connector listed on Bulldog's website says its only good for 95-97 models. Does anyone know if they make a T connector for later models?

2. I have a PATS on the vehicle. What type of programming is required to overcome this? Can I program the module if I have two programmed keys?

3. Can anyone who installed something like this let me know how long it took them? I'm not a wiring dummy, but I'm no electrician either.

Thanks for the help

Here are a couple threads that might help you:

Clicky #1

Clicky #2

To answer your questions:

1. The T connector listed on Bulldog's website says its only good for 95-97 models. Does anyone know if they make a T connector for later models?

- Yes, I used one on my 2000 V8. (Item No: FD-1 T-Harness /Ford
$24.95)

2. I have a PATS on the vehicle. What type of programming is required to overcome this? Can I program the module if I have two programmed keys?

- You need to get an extra key, program it, then insert it into the bypass module. Programming is in your manual but basically you need two working keys. Put one in, turn ignition to on (not run) for at least one second, repeat with 2nd key, then repeat with unprogrammed key. Here's what you need to get the PATS system to work with the Bulldog:

Item No: 791 Universal Learning Bypass Module
$24.85

Item No: H72-PT0 - Transponder Key
$26.99 (although I just ordered on from e-bay for $11!)

3. Can anyone who installed something like this let me know how long it took them? I'm not a wiring dummy, but I'm no electrician either.

I've installed under dash neon lighting, multiple amp systems, head units, capacitors, cd changers, and hard wired radar detectors - the Bulldog was a *****! Although I must admit, most of my issues were caused by incorrect / outdated manuals and wrong advice from tech support. You can do it, but it is a very overwhelming amount of wires and unless you have the right instructions can take you 2 days like it took me!

My advice, call tech support and get some advice on the car then check back with me and I'll help where I can. Pay particular attention to my thread link above with the PATS issue I ran into and what the solution was. What ever model you buy, go to the website and get the updated instructions. In retrospect, I could have banged it out in a few hours if it weren't for the crappy techs :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links.

I just read through the wiring directions on Bulldog's website. It doesn't seem too bad, but they dont' go into much detail on finding the wiring for the door lock/unlock. I'm just wondering how far I'll have to go to find this wiring.

Question on the T-connector - Does the T connector allow you to avoid splicing the wiring at the ignition? (Kinda like a stereo wiring kit avoids you cutting factory wires)

Thanks again

They do have wiring diagrams on their site for all the wires that apply to the installation. However, on my 2000 X the lock / unlock wires were switched in their chart. Those were the 2 hardest ones because there were in the kick panel in a tight bundle with 50 or so other wires. I justed used wire taps to avoid trying to manually splice with my big hands.

You are correct on the T-harness. Your analogy to the stereo wiring harness is close but think of a puppy comapaired to an elephant. The T-harness for our car is HUGE (the FD-1 anyway). It's not a big deal to plug it in, but it is a pain to crunch all those wires back under the dash. This was by far not the neatest job I've ever done but it works :D

Also, my RS112 did not plug directly into the T-harness - others models do which would make things easier.

Please post with any more questions - I would love to save you the headaches that I had and make my 2 day nightmare worth it for someone!

Back