• Register Today It's free!

Installing rear DVD system

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
We purchased my wife's 2004 EB Explorer when we were childless. I recall that it was an expensive option, and not much use to us at the time - so we didn't get that option. Today, it would be pretty darn nice to have to entertain the kids on long trips.

I've seen some OEM units on ebay for reasonable prices - has anyone installed one? I'm hoping that the necessary wiring is already installed and there is the proper ceiling support. I don't know if it matters, but her Explorer has the rear-a/c and the factory radio with a 6-cd in-dash changer.

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How about those TV's that you just mount onto the headrest? That way you can transport them into another vehicle if you want to keep the kids entertained at all times:D Not sure what the unit is called, but my old boss has one and it did the job.

i have seen some systems that you just throw over the head rest. it somes in a bag.
Just unfold throw it over and you can even take with you on the airplane if you travel.
it plugs right into the cigarette lighter. unless you intend on keeping this vehicle for a WHILE i would not invest in custom or semi custom installs.

my '04 has one. First thing to check is if the wires behind the Radio, its the 20pin plug and its full of wires on mine. Also above the passenger side rear seatbelt (c-pillar) there should be a green 16-pin connector to plug in the DVD player harness. More often then not, the wires are not there and it would be a big PIA to run them, there also is a mounting plate in the roof. In using ours the Screen is small and they are not very reliable. Your best bet is to go aftermarket Ford DVD player. It should come with everything to add the DVD player to the stock radio, although i've never looked into it in detail.

I installed one in my 03' XLT--No Rear Air, and it didn't have a mounting plate or wiring there--I also have a moonroof I had to contend with--Best Buy said they couldn't install one in the car because of the lack of clearance--I removed the trim for the moonroof and found a metal crossbrace right behind the trim--I had a metal plate made (12" wide x 12" long) and slid it between the crossbrace and headliner--I attached it to the crossbrace w/ 7/16" self drilling screws and it floats back to where the DVD system is--I attached the system to the plate w/ 1 7/8" self drilling screws and have just enough clearance for the moonroof shade--As for the wiring, I just ran power and ground thru the headliner for the DVD and hooked up the dome lights to the factory dome light in the rear--( I have a 3rd seat)-My system has a built in FM Modulator so I didn't worry about hooking up to factory stereo--Works great

My thinking was that if the wiring harness and mounting plate were already there, then hooking it up would be easy, no hassle. I used to do a fair amount car audio work pre-wife and kids (10+ years ago), I'm confident that I could do the install and make it work - but the more I think about it, the more I think that it's probably not worth the effort. Headrest units sound like a better idea for portability, etc.

Back