Installing used transmission question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing used transmission question

mrau92me

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Mountaineer
Haynes manual says to mark the relationship of the torque converter to the Drive plate, but that's for if I was gonna reinstall the same transmission. so how do I go about getting the torque converter's position correct on the drive plate with the used trannie I'm going to install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't. You just bolt it up.

BTW, mountaineer made 2/2002, Auto transmission 5r55w

Haynes manual says to mark the relationship of the torque converter to the Drive plate, but that's for if I was gonna reinstall the same transmission. so how do I go about getting the torque converter's position correct on the drive plate with the used trannie I'm going to install?

If the old converter were being used, you would mark mark one stud and the hole it was in on the flexplate. They're concerned about vibration.

If a new converter comes with the replacement transmission, you must ignore the converter/plate consideration. imp

You don't. You just bolt it up.

I wonder why the Haynes says to mark it before removing it then to align the marks when reinstalling the transmission?

Edit: disregard above reply...my tablet didn't update quickly enough for me to see the other comments.

Thanks everyone for the replies :)

Back