Instrument Cluster LED blue 194

midwest2006

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Instrument Cluster LED blue 194

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced my instrument cluster bulbs with 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base from superbrightleds.com used 6 but heres my problem....
after i checked them before I replaced all the interior panels, knee plate blocker etc. I did see all the needles were blue, this was also during the day so was hard to see... once it got dark enough, I checked them again and the lights are not backlit like I thought they were suppose to be. The tach and speedometer is not backlit, just the needle indicators are... Are there more of the bulbs I have to replace that I am unaware of? I am very disappointed because this took me alot of time to do and being very careful with the plastic panels, making sure everything is inline etc.. Anyone have any suggestions?
2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC

Today I removed the Instrument cluster panel and checked the leds,pulled them out and reversed the original way i put them in and found that 3 out of the 6 were working, disconected and replaced those 3 with the 4 new ones out of 10 that i got from superbrightleds.com. all the needles were lit but tach/speedometer not backlit... Am I using the wrong type of bulbs? 194 smd replacements. anybody have any suggestions? Greatly appreciated...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are only 6 illumination bulbs #194. i guess the LED's light projection pattern is too directional for this purpose. sorry.

Right, I used 6 so apparently the 5 sided smd bulbs i got are not the right leds to use.?

I'm sure that you know this, but LEDs are "directional" in that they will only illuminate if plugged in one way. If you have some that are not lighting up they may not be defective - take them out, rotate them 180 degrees, and reinsert them. Good luck.

I'm sure that you know this, but LEDs are "directional" in that they will only illuminate if plugged in one way. If you have some that are not lighting up they may not be defective - take them out, rotate them 180 degrees, and reinsert them. Good luck.

and if you're working in sunlight, throw some blankets over your windows to simulate darkness before buttoning everything up again to test.

Back