Intake Comparisons ?'s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Comparisons ?'s

LStoudenmire

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
I am planning on upgrading my Air Box and air tube very soon and have a few questions. I have read the KKM article on the website. The KKM runs about $75.00 and I have noticed that APC carries an intake that runs about $40.00.

Would there be considerable amount of difference between the two? I understand that you get what you pay for, but I do not do any serious racing or anything in my Ex' and it has over 112,000 miles on it. I do baby it most of the time, and rarely get on it hard. But would like to add a few HP's for when I need it.

Is it the design of the cone filter that adds more performance? Or do the brands really make that much difference?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't think APC carried an intake for Explorers. I thought they just had Honda intakes. I'm sure you could make it fit though.

ah.. the thing about those is there hard to attach to the MAF, unless their's comes with an adapter. The KKM does you see, that's why they cost so much. And the APC onces you can't easly just bolt on to it becouse there curved inside, kinda hard to explain. Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts or Pepboys carries them, just can't remeber which.

Oh! I see, the APC doesn't come with an adapter and I would have to get one from Ebay or somewhere. Well, along the same line. Does K&N make a cone filter? I wonder how it compares with the KKM?

Many people on this site swear by the KKM. I dunno about the APC, it seems kinda sketch to me. Basically you have three options in intake upgrades...the KKM, the K&N FIPK, or even just drill your airbox. Many people here swear by the KKM and I'm sure its awesome. I use the K&N cause the KKM isnt emissions legal here. Im sure youll be happy with either one. Run a search and you should get tons of info on each.

K&N has one, pretty sure they have an adapter to. But if I was you I'd do this. Buy one of these
Dead Link Removed
of this guy
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-...t=0&page=4&rows=25&since=-1&showpics=1&stab=0
its the adapter (same size fits all, 3", doesn't matter what car its of) and it comes with a filter for much much less then KKM or K&N. Then you can just go out and buy a K&N from Autozone or somthing

Duke, that's what I've been debating to do. But I wasn't sure if the performance of the filter was that much different, from KKM, to K&N, to APC, or others. Wondering if the performance gain is from the design of the cone filter or the difference in the design of the filter per manufacturer.

The one that looks the most promising to me is the volant. It is also VERY expensive. No experience with it, but the design seems well thought out and seems to draw more cold air than the the other open designs like K&N and KKM. Also, more protection from water and such. Would like some other people to try it first before I drop my own $275. he-he

is volant the one with the metal induction tube?

No, the volant is all polymer with an enclosed filter. It is designed to be a true cold air intake system, unlike the ones that are open to underhood heat. I typed in volant on my computer and found their homesite. I don't have the ability or know-how to post pics or links.

Originally posted by mosinman
No, the volant is all polymer with an enclosed filter. It is designed to be a true cold air intake system, unlike the ones that are open to underhood heat. I typed in volant on my computer and found their homesite. I don't have the ability or know-how to post pics or links.
Here is a link to someplace that carries it, looks to be only for the 98-01 X/ranger/Sport-trac

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Website is www.volantperformance.com They have a unit for OHV also. The posted picture above shows the intake open with cover removed.

hey I went to that site and looked at it. I looks pretty good on the pic and on the site but I dont want that dumb cover over it. Can you use it with it off , and how does it suck air in with the cover over it. I want the cone filter, but only with the side protection so mud and crap wont reach it. ????? Ohhhhhhhhh and it doesnt say how much the cone and box is.?

intake

the volant is a cold air intake with an inlet pipe to the fender well or radiator support depending on model. That is why the filter is in an enclosed housing. If you just want a cone filter open to the engine compartment yet with a side protector of sorts I would suggest the K@N FIPK 2.

anybody install the new mac intake for the SOHC engines? I'm looking for some opinions on them.

how much is the FIPK. Ill either get that or the KKM.

to: jp831

I have the MAC intake for my 02 Sport. Better seat of the pants feel...better throttle response. Is it worth the money????? YUP !!!
They quote 11.7 HP gain...I don't know about that, but it is better overall.

I have gotten 1-2 MPG better after I installed it and reset the PCM. I have NOT been babying it either, I stomp on it quite a bit.

The part number is 3606 and I got it from RPM outlet.
$ 139.xx plus shipping.

Hope this helps - JR

So what i wanna know is which has the better performance? kkm, mac or something else? Im looking for better throttle response and whatever hp there is to gain .I like the sound of this volant system but ive heard nothing about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back