intake gaskets replacing them

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all~
well it looks like everything is pointing to the wonderful process of replacing my lower intake gaskets and my valve cover gaskets. I have a vacuum leak I hear, too high of an idle.... I've checked every vacuum line humanly possible and replaced all the ones that appear bad. The leak sounds like it's coming from under my upper intake, so it would not shock me if at those gaskets underneath there where the intake mates with the heads that it's leaking. Has anyone replaced their valve cover gaskets (they have to come off too) and their lower intake gaskets? How tough is it? to me I've had the upper intake off 4 times and nothing scares me anymor eon this engine. Any pointers or tips or experiences let me know, thanks

George

hey george,
replacing the lower intake mani gasket isn't that tough. i just had to do it to fix a coolant leak. it does take a little time. just mark everything you take off and make sure you get a good gasket set. have fun and good luck.

Yup, I figure for this job I am buying straight from Ford so I can do the repair right the first time....

when i changed out my gaskets i went through NAPA, it was cheaper for me to buy the head gasket kit then to buy the gaskets seperately. the head gasket kit was a very nice quality(heavy duty) gasket material. i forget the brand but i want to say Victor Remies or somthin like that, anyways they were good quality metal. i used pretty much all the gaskets except for the actual heads and exhaust manis. if you got a napa near by check em out.

Back