Intake howls when it's hot outside. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake howls when it's hot outside.

itsdennislol

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Does that happen for you guys as well? Is that fine? My intake will start howling sounding like a "whoooooooooooo" when I'm at a stand still. It stops once I'm going again. It's only when its 90 degrees or hotter outside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it the stock intake or an aftermarket performance intake? if it is the latter, it is normal to hear intake howling....

It's a K&N Funnel intake I bought that's for my year Explorer. In the winter it didn't do anything it wasn't til it started warming up outside. The car doesn't appear to over heat or anything from it though which is why I didn't think it was an issue. My buddy has a 95 Explorer with the same intake and his does it too.

It is not normal for an aftermarket intake to "howl".

Could the sound be comming from your IAC?

I pop the hood and take the cone out of the little tube and I hear the howl coming from the intake breather

See if you can isolate the sound to the IAC.

Good luck .......

aldive said:
It is not normal for an aftermarket intake to "howl".

you are wrong... here is why... the stock intake has several restrictions that allow the intake to be quiet.. when the intake is replaced with a performance intake, it is a tradeoff and these restrictions and little extra bends and pockets in the intake to silence the intake stream are removed.....

jimabena74 said:
you are wrong... here is why... the stock intake has several restrictions that allow the intake to be quiet.. when the intake is replaced with a performance intake, it is a tradeoff and these restrictions and little extra bends and pockets in the intake to silence the intake stream are removed.....

I see.... how many aftermarket intakes have you evaluated? How many of them howled?

I have tested 4 different ones on my trucj and guess what, not a single one howled.

aldive said:
I see.... how many aftermarket intakes have you evaluated? How many of them howled?

I have tested 4 different ones on my trucj and guess what, not a single one howled.

i have had a couple setups on my explorer when i had it, all of them were louder then stock....

i have a majorly modified intake on my toyota right now, and it is way louder than stock....

since aldive has an argument for everything i say, dont only take my word for it, but do a search on this subject, it will easily become clear who nkows what they are talking about... and how many people that have intakes have experienced more noise than stock

jimabena74 said:
i have had a couple setups on my explorer when i had it, all of them were louder then stock....

i have a majorly modified intake on my toyota right now, and it is way louder than stock....

Granted, the aftermarket intakes are indeed louder than stock. They just do not howl.

aldive said:
Granted, the aftermarket intakes are indeed louder than stock. They just do not howl.
Macs and Volants are notorious for whistling sounds, howling etc, some get them, some do not, WHY?, have not a clue

spindlecone said:
Macs and Volants are notorious for whistling sounds, howling etc, some get them, some do not, WHY?, have not a clue

Having owned both, I agree. I get most whistling with Volant, and only briefly when engine is cold. It goes away quickly. With Mac, the whistling was more sporadic. In either case, it wasn't an annoyance.

Wired, mine does that exact howl. did you come up with a permanent fix?

I have the same problem, someone post a fix if you find one.

Sometimes not hearing well has a benefit. I can definately hear a "growl" when I floor it though. I have celly's old MAC on mine now.

aldive said:

Mine howled. It's not an annoying sound at all.

i dont know about howling sounds but aside from the normal hissing sound my K&N cold air is supposed to make, sometimes when i floor it, it makes a high pitched whistle noise that does not sound normal, up till now i have ignored it seeing as how it doesnt happen that often but since this topic was made i thought id bring it up

OK, in that video the guy removed that plastic peice from the nipple on the IAC and it made a howling noise... would having that removed allow unmetered dirty air into the engine???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of trucks do that in hot weather, with stock intakes. My roommate's 2000 GMC Sierra does it, Jeeps do it more frequently and louder then other vehicles, sounds normal to me.

Back