Intake howls when it's hot outside. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake howls when it's hot outside.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BeauJ said:
Mine howled. It's not an annoying sound at all.

Maybe the problem here is the definition of the therm "howl",

All of the aftermarket air intakes that I have tested do indeed make more, a lot more noise than a stock intake. I would not call the noise howling, more like rushing air.

Howling is to me like a bad IAC as demonstrated in post number 7 above. Is this the noise those of you that say its howling hear?

I guess the sound has to do with the accoustics and all the variables that come into play... (e.g., the material of the pipe, the actual amount of air the intake sucks in.... even the way the pipe bends...)

that is why I second what jimabena74 said regarding the design of stock intakes; all the grooves and dips and wrinkles, etc. of the stock intake whose are design for quitenessnessness. once you change the whose to a pipe or an un-grooved whose, the whole acoustic setup is changed as well... the problem is that every engine is different and even if you had the same truck as i do, yours migh make noises that mine doesn't...

Yes Al, that is it. I've got my own definition of "howling", just like Jim probably has. The intake I've got with my s/c now sounds like a vacuum.

The howling I was refering to featured in the video someone posted above, very annoying and only occurs at idle. I suppose I should buy an after market intake anyway.

The howling in the video is a result of a dirty IAC. Do a search on cleaning the IAC if you want to clean it yourself. Or you can goto Autozone and pick up a new one for $60. I cleaned mine and it hasn't made a noise since.

wired_af said:
The howling in the video is a result of a dirty IAC. Do a search on cleaning the IAC if you want to clean it yourself. Or you can goto Autozone and pick up a new one for $60. I cleaned mine and it hasn't made a noise since.

The IAC goes Wooooo!

Yep, specifically, the howling noise starts when the filter shown in the video starts to get clogged. The filter is at the opening of the vent that allows the piston to move back and forth. In my case, cleaning the filter helped for several months, although it was doing it again last week and I haven't gotten around to cleaning it again. (Its also hotter than hell here which seems to contribute to the problem :fire: )

Last weekend, I heard the same howling in the parking lot (my Explorer was at home) and without looking assumed it would be another Explorer. I was wrong - it was a Ford Contour - so the Woooo is not limited to Explorers alone.

Ive got a 2000 Merc Mountaineer and you can really hear my intake suckin the air in, it howls quite a bit. My truck is supercharged now so the intake screams but even before the s/c, it howled with just a MAC perfomance intake.

Now when i refer to the word howl, i refer to the sound the air is making as it moves really fast thru the unrestricted tubing.

Back