Intake Manifold Rattling? 2004 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Manifold Rattling? 2004 4.0 SOHC

bmdubya1198

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB 4x4
I know what everyone's going to say already, and no, I don't think it's timing chain related. I've been trying to trace this rattle on my dad's '04 Explorer 4.0. After plenty of time poking around with a stethoscope, I believe the noise is coming from the intake manifold. The first place I checked was the driver side valve cover and timing chain tensioner, but it's very quiet in that area. I just installed this engine a few months ago, and before I did that I replaced the rear timing chain cassette and both tensioners. I inspected the front one, and everything was in good condition so I did not replace anything on the front (also being that it can be serviced in the truck, so I wasn't worried about it).
It's a rattle noise similar to the timing chain guides, but not quite. I am familiar with that noise. The point I hear it the loudest is in the intake manifold, particularly on the collector portion above the driver side valve cover. Is there a common issue with adjustable intake runners that I haven't heard about?

I am going to smoke test to make sure there are no vacuum leaks, as I've seen some issues with lower intake manifold gasket leaks. The truck also idles slightly unsteady, so a vacuum leak is still a possibility. Not too bad that the tach moves around significantly, but enough that you feel it and you can see the engine vibrating a little more than I feel it should.

Edit- Here's a video: New video by Alex P

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know what everyone's going to say already, and no, I don't think it's timing chain related. I've been trying to trace this rattle on my dad's '04 Explorer 4.0. After plenty of time poking around with a stethoscope, I believe the noise is coming from the intake manifold. The first place I checked was the driver side valve cover and timing chain tensioner, but it's very quiet in that area. I just installed this engine a few months ago, and before I did that I replaced the rear timing chain cassette and both tensioners. I inspected the front one, and everything was in good condition so I did not replace anything on the front (also being that it can be serviced in the truck, so I wasn't worried about it).
It's a rattle noise similar to the timing chain guides, but not quite. I am familiar with that noise. The point I hear it the loudest is in the intake manifold, particularly on the collector portion above the driver side valve cover. Is there a common issue with adjustable intake runners that I haven't heard about?

I am going to smoke test to make sure there are no vacuum leaks, as I've seen some issues with lower intake manifold gasket leaks. The truck also idles slightly unsteady, so a vacuum leak is still a possibility. Not too bad that the tach moves around significantly, but enough that you feel it and you can see the engine vibrating a little more than I feel it should.

Edit- Here's a video: New video by Alex P
interesting. i am not aware of any mani issues. i do wonder if its simply a bit loose and tapping on the lower plenum underneath. that could explain the vacuum leak part too. as these age the gaskets shrink so over time if not tight i wonder if that would be the cause? just to ask: what brsnd did you do the timing components with? cloyes? ford?

Yeah, I was thinking it could be gasket related, but I don't know. There's a glob of RTV holding together the EGR valve to the intake manifold, so that could be a problem. I'm going to smoke test it today and see what I can find out. The weird thing is that the ticking noise is primarily coming from the driver side of the manifold, not the passenger side.

I used genuine Ford timing components. I don't trust any aftermarket brand after reading about the poor service life.

Are you missing a socket by any chance?

Are you missing a socket by any chance?
Haha, I had that thought too! That's about what it sounds like.
If I put my ear up to the intake manifold, it sounds like a diesel.

Back