CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
What i am wondering is...

i know an intake will help me slightly w/ MPG, and a slight gain in HP, and from what i have read throttle body spacers give a pretty decent power gain and some MPG gains????

does anyone wish to back this statement up ? i just wanna get some opinons and see if its worth installing for a few extra HP and MPG

thanks guys !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a volant cold air kit on my 2000 sport 4.ol ohv.i love it.i also have a helix throttle body spacer.im not sure if the throttle body spacer really did much as for mpg. or horsepower.but i figured for about $80 i would give it a shot.i mean all the data and specs all them throttle body spacers companys give....they gotta be close in some stakes.

TB spacers do zilch. Don't waste your money.

From what I've heard, in Explorer engines the phenolic spacers help with the torque curve. Which is a gain and should help overall. Just what I've read...

From what I've heard, in Explorer engines the phenolic spacers help with the torque curve. Which is a gain and should help overall. Just what I've read...

The Phenolic intake spacers are different from the throttle body spacers, the Phenolic go between the upper and lower intake manifold and do help out with a little more torque. The throttle body spacers go between the throttle body and upper intake manifold. I think the throttle body spacers work in a similar way to the Plenolic spacers, but only give a fraction of the results since there isn't nearly as much length added to the intake runners. Oh and did I mention the Phenolic spacers only cost about 1/3 of what a throttle body spacer costs.

The Phenolic intake spacers are different from the throttle body spacers, the Phenolic go between the upper and lower intake manifold and do help out with a little more torque. The throttle body spacers go between the throttle body and upper intake manifold. I think the throttle body spacers work in a similar way to the Plenolic spacers, but only give a fraction of the results since there isn't nearly as much length added to the intake runners. Oh and did I mention the Phenolic spacers only cost about 1/3 of what a throttle body spacer costs.

do they make a phenolic intake spacer for my 2000 sport 4.0l ohv motor? and how much would one cost.i would be willing to try one out.like i said i couldn't tell if the throttle body spacer i putr on really did much.but it also didn't hurt.so i figured i would just leave it on.

do they make a phenolic intake spacer for my 2000 sport 4.0l ohv motor? and how much would one cost.i would be willing to try one out.like i said i couldn't tell if the throttle body spacer i putr on really did much.but it also didn't hurt.so i figured i would just leave it on.

not that I know of, I think they're only available for the v8's

Do you think that Ford would have designed your intake to de-rate the motor? Don't you think that, if adding 1" after your throttle body would give you better performance and mileage, Ford would have designed it that way?
You should get one of those turbonator things that you put in your intake while you're at it.

Do you think that Ford would have designed your intake to de-rate the motor? Don't you think that, if adding 1" after your throttle body would give you better performance and mileage, Ford would have designed it that way?
You should get one of those turbonator things that you put in your intake while you're at it.

That's a pretty poor argument if you ask me. There are tons of things ford could do to easily increase the power and fuel economy on it's vehicles and they don't do them. Better computer tuning being an easy one that would cost them very little to do.

That's a pretty poor argument if you ask me. There are tons of things ford could do to easily increase the power and fuel economy on it's vehicles and they don't do them. Better computer tuning being an easy one that would cost them very little to do.

very true! i agree.dealerships try to keep everything as simple and quiet as possible.theres many things ford could do,and all car/truck companys.i actually bought a tornado for my explorer,but heard to much negative stuff with it.so i returned it to autozone.them throttle body spacers gotta do something,or they wouldn't waste the time and money making them.maybe not a whole lot with the explorer,or similiar applications.but i like to try anything to help in both performance and better gas mileage.

Back