Intakes for a 99 5.0

fourmustangs

Reaction score
City, State
Kingwood,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 5.0
Im sure this is already beat to death but just got a 99 5.0 explorer

Is there any intake kits with a plastic tube for less heat?

can the 97 FIPK 5.0 work since its just the filter and cheesy brackets or half use some other kit that has a partial shield from the heat like what the newer full fipk kits look like....

only get 15mpg from my 2wd 5.0 so want more....
I cant remember my gas mileage of a 97 5.0 AWD Limited I use to have
I know I added the intake/MAF/ gibson exhaust on that one...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're right. This topic has been beaten to death for a lot of years. People have actually measured the temps and there is NO EVIDENCE that a plastic tube makes any difference at normal operating speeds.

MAC is the only major supplier that makes a kit for the 5.0 and yet you're "stuck" with a metal intake tube. MANY people have used their kits on this site with great success. I personally have a hybrid setup (modded a SOHC Volant kit to work with the 5.0). I use the MAC intake tube with mine.

air_intake.jpg

Remember, performance gains with these kits is all about the same regardless of what tube you use. It all comes down to cosmetics and budget.

Good luck finding a mac intake, Jah81592 (forum vendor) has said that mac is no longer making them, and that he had bought all of their remaining inventory, which at the time he had one left. So there may be a few left floating around in some warehouse, but not many as most companies that sold them just had MAC ship them straight from the factory. If you can't find one air raid makes one I think, or you could go for one of the do it yourself kits.

I was probably going to get that one anyway....

I guess I could paint it....dont care for chrome look...Ive got extra header paint in my garage

Good luck finding a mac intake, Jah81592 (forum vendor) has said that mac is no longer making them, and that he had bought all of their remaining inventory, which at the time he had one left. So there may be a few left floating around in some warehouse, but not many as most companies that sold them just had MAC ship them straight from the factory.

Still available on eBay.

I've also heard that while MAC doesn't have any in stock, they will make them to order, albeit in a backorder situation.

I was probably going to get that one anyway....

I guess I could paint it....dont care for chrome look...Ive got extra header paint in my garage

I agree. Mine is getting powdercoated this summer. :)

Back