• Register Today It's free!

'97 4.0, swap in a '99 5.0?

ThunderbirdSport

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
I'm not sure about the other stuff...can the fuel system be swapped from the '99 also?

How about ECM/PCM?

I was wanting to use as much V8 specific stuff from the '99 as possible, BUT, the '97 Mountaineer I just took off the road due to extreme wear could give it's fuel system and wiring/ECM if need be. It's of course a 5.0, but it has 300K + miles and is ready for retirement.

I'm into the '99 for 300 bucks, so.....

I know I can use the '99's engine, but will I need the '97 specific from my mounty?

Oh, this will be going into my '97 Explorer 4.0, that just recently left me stranded due to the good ole timing chain. I ain't muckin' around with it...gonna yank the 4.0 stuff and swap it. The rest of the Explorer is in excellent shape. Looks like a 20,000 miles ride, save for that.......engine.

The downside of that 99 is you have to swap the PATS stuff over too, or tune it out. Personally since you have that worn out 97 5.0L there I would use the fresher 99 short block and put all the 97 fuel parts on it, ECM too.

Alright, here's where I'm at right now.

Have the '99 here, it's actually a Mountaineer, but otherwise is as described. Pretty serious hit to the driver's front side, control arm and frame are bent up and back.

I've been cutting some on it, to get the core support and radiator/condenser out. Has 3 good tires, and the front driver holds air, but has a couple of cuts that to me, render it junk. Maybe I'll keep it for a third string spare or sumpin'..

Anyway, this thing is smashed, trashed, and bashed. It was driven into a tree (unintentionally), and the only body part that doesn't have damage is the hatch and rear bumper.

It has the steel wheels, all 4 caps are there and in good shape, but that's about it. Still, will make a good donor engine and trans...I'll keep the tank, too, but I won't have much use for it, nor the fuel lines.

No radio, console lid is FUBAR, and the driver side glass is all busted out (partial rollover). I'll be keeping the tails and hatch, along with the engine, trans, rear, and wheels/tires. It had that "creep" while it was on the trailer (tilt bed) so I'm guessing the front driveshaft is MIA....

So begins Beau's 5.0 swap. Probably take me a little while to complete as I only have off wednesdays and saturdays, and my kids.

I'll post my progress here in lieu of making a thread unless there's a more preferred place.

If there's any advice, I'm all ears n' eyes. I've also read a couple-three swap threads, will read more as I find them. Hey, never did take the easy road in anything I've done. Besides, the Explorer I'm doing the transplant/conversion to is in really good shape. Here I go...wheeee. ;)

Back