Interior durability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior durability

Reaction score
City, State
Springboro
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
Hi Guys, no real news to report here just wanted to comment on the durability of the interior materials on these 2nd gens after just wrapping up pulling some door panels off to repair window motors. I've had my share of interiors apart, and it is not unusual for some of the plastic bits to crack when you are prying to get the little plastic push fasteners free of the door, but everything came apart and went back together very easily. My 1997 Mountaineer looks like it spend most of it's time outdoors with it's peeling clearcoat and rusted out rocker panels. The interior plastics have held up amazingly well and for the most part have not cracked or faded. Door panel, dashboard, cargo area panels, etc. The only things showing their age are the seats and the headliner (mostly due to water leaks from above). Plus the carpet in the drivers area.

Again, nothing new here, just wanted to share a positive observation. It's definitely not this easy with every 25 year old car!

Andrew

Similar positive review here! I have the lovely Pacific Green Ex, and my interior is all green also. Surprised at the lack of fading. Seats and carpet as well as headliner also very good. Have had the driver's door panel off several times while getting multiple replacement window switches and motors. Only thing that needed replacement is the little fasteners that go on the door. Great durability considering it's a 1998 model, and I've had several 90s vehicles. Impressed.

Back