Intermittent Brake problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent Brake problem

785xp

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Last July I was heading to the beach towing my Seadoos. I was about 25 miles from home when I started to smell burning. I pulled over and my drivers side rear brakes were very hot. I nursed the truck back home and took it apart with my mechanic neighbor. He couldn't find anything wrong. I went almost a year without any more problems. Then a couple of weeks ago after a 120 mile road trip, my brake was very hot again. After letting it cool down and driving 10 miles to my destination, the heat was gone. The next day I drove the 130 miles home with no problems. My wife drove home from work on Friday and the same problem occurred, this time their was a burning smell and the brake was very hot. This was after a 10 mile drive.

Could this be an emergency brake problem? Caliper problem?

i'd check the parking brakes for sure, they have been known to de-laminate the shoes.
Also when i did mine i found a lot of rust in there some of it might have worked is way free. Only way to to tell is if you pull the rotors and when you do check the caliper pins for sticking binding, looseness in the bores. . .

Back