Intermittent no start condition on a 1998 Explorer Sport. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent no start condition on a 1998 Explorer Sport.

july349

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
I have a 98 Explorer Sport that some times won,t start when I turn the key. Could the switch be bad or could there be a loose wire some where ? I asked that question because sometimes when it won't start, I put my foot on the carpet under the steering column and it does start.
Does anybody have any ideas on what it may be & how to fix it ?
Thanks
july349

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the stock 95-01 section. Do you hear the fuel pump prime or see a check engine light when you turn the key? Do you have another PATS key?

Had a similar problem on my 1997 Explorer Sport.Couldn't figure it out ,,than months later the alternator went bad.After replacing alt have not had the problem in 7 months.Don't know if this helps but keep an eye on voltage gauge it could be intermittent.

My friend had a similar issue, because he turned his explorer into one big boom box that even while the car was running, it could not keep up with the draw in amperage.

If you have some serious stereo equipment in your truck, you might want to get a bigger alternator and feed you stereo equipment from a capacitor that will buffer the electrical draw between lights. A low voltage cut=off unit might not be a bad thing either to protect your equipment and not leave you stranded.

Back