intermittent whining noise from the rear right on stock Ford Explorer XLT 2002 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

intermittent whining noise from the rear right on stock Ford Explorer XLT 2002 4.0

dagoninfinite

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2002 XLT
Greetings everyone,

I started noticing what I can best describe as an intermittent medium-pitched whining noise from the rear right of the cabin when I drive at speeds around 50-60 mph or more. ...a whine-a very short pause-a whine-a very short pause-... I think it becomes louder when I brake and the goes away after the car decelerates... ....it's difficult to describe...

Have anyone had anything like that? What can it be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update: the noise is rather humming than whining

I guess "humming" is a better word to describe it, but then the difference is marginal?

I get the same thing when my Wife is riding in the back seat :) JK...

Seriously, check your tires for wear, sounds like you have the very common gen3 wheel bearing problem.

I get the same thing when my Wife is riding in the back seat :) JK...

LOL

Seriously, check your tires for wear, sounds like you have the very common gen3 wheel bearing problem.

What in particular I should be looking for on the tires? Some kind of an uneven wear? Should I measure the threads depth? I heard about that Firestone thing... Then who didn't...

jack up one rear tire, run your hand along the tire, you may feel some un-even wear on the tire. Then looking at the tire put one hand at 3 o-clock then the other hand at 9 o-clock and wiggle the tire pushing and pulling each hand alternatly. You should not feel any play in the wheel, if you feel the wheel wobble at all (may be felt as a light tap as the bearing gives or worse) you may have a worn bearing and should have the suspension checked. Be agressive when pushing and pulling on the wheel. after that try your hands at 12 o-clock and 6 o-clock repeating the wobble test

Then when finished with the one wheel go to the other side and repeat the process of checking for wear and checking the bearings.

Back