Introduction and Sport Trac rear diff question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Introduction and Sport Trac rear diff question

Skyking

Reaction score
City, State
Frost, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac
Howdy Y'all, I'm a new guy here, and just want to introduce myself, and ask one tech question.
I have an '03 Sport Trac since new, and it has about 140K miles on it. It has the 4L six, and auto transmission. It has some sort of posi-trac in the rear end, and that's what my tech question is about.
I was herding a stray cow out in the pasture and come upon a grassy slope, and lost traction. It was only spinning one tire. Does the factory posi have clutches that need replacement; or should I just put a whole new unit in it? What kind of unit is in it now?
Your thoughts, and comments are welcomed.
I appreciate Ya,
Larry

Keep in mind, even a brand new limited slip won't keep traction in all situations. You were on a grassy slope. Wet or even damp grass will hurt traction. If your truck had more of its weight on one rear tire vs the other, like on a side hill, you'll loose traction. If you have street-friendly (non-aggressive) tread on top of it, yup, you'll loose traction.
With that said, yes, with 140,000 miles on it, it is wearing out, and a rebuild can only help.
Here's an example of both tires getting traction ;) :burnout:

Back