Aussie Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Gday all.

Quick question

What is the gasket made out of on the rear diff back, as it appears just to be silicon type goo, Mine has a small weep and I am thinking of just pulling the diff back off and putting a new gasket seal on it as the fluid is due for replacement anyway.

Also how do you tell if the rear diff is the Traction Lock diff as you need to put the friction modifier in it, the tag on mine say’s to only use synthetic Gear oil which I believe is what the Traction Lock (LSD) need’s but apart from that is there any easy way to identify what rear diff I have.

Sort of going onto the sand and spinning the wheels.

It’s a 1997 XLT 4*4 with the 4.0Ltr S.O.H.C engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, it's just a bead of silicone, no gasket. Been that way for 15 years or more now.

-Joe

you can get a gasket for them though at an auto parts store.... i was all set to use silicone... what was on there and my dad came home with a gasket....

Yes, you can, but I tried it on both my Explorer (which originally had silicone) and my '93 Ranger which also had silicone. I ended up pulling both of them back out and replacing the gasket with just silicone. Both of the gaskets leaked like sieves.

-Joe

yeah i figured it would be something like that ... thats why i ended up using both :) i didnt wanna dump 25 dollars worth of oil in there and have it leak and have to open it back up... so i siliconed the gasket and then stuck it on..... if i wouldnt have had the gasket i would have just used more silicone....

Actually, that's what I did in both cases.... silicone and a gasket didn't work so hot.... silicone alone seemed to work best on both of mine. Good luck!

-Joe

Cool, Thanks everyone I suspected it was just silicone.

Anyone know how to identify if the rear diff is a (LSD)

The information on the diff tag is as follows> 75W140 Synthetic Gear Oil only
Then it has> 8L 73 88R
7E01
What does the second section of numbers and letters stand for (If anything)

Aussie Explorer said:
8L 73 88R
7E01

The "L" indicates limited slip. Are you sure the first digit isn't a "3"? That would indicate a 3.73 limited slip diff. I don't think the remaining numbers have anything to do with the axle ratio or carrier.

BTW, I installed my Aussie Locker over the weekend. It was a snap and works great. You guys make nice stuff.

Good stuff, thanks for that I think it is a 3.

Enjoy the Aussie Locker, they go under the name Lock Right Down hear don’t know why but.

Back