iPhone 12 Pro Max is a tight fit on the induction pad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

iPhone 12 Pro Max is a tight fit on the induction pad

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
Just a heads up for anyone that is going to get an iPhone 12 Pro Max. The phone is slightly taller than the previous Max sized iPhones and most cases won't allow the phone to fit on the 2020 induction charging pad if you do like to use it (personally I love it after going wireless on CarPlay). I ended up ordering a few slim cases on Amazon to see what would work as the phone only allows for about a millimeter of case in total between the top and bottom.

Of the cases I ordered, the only one that fit without pushing it in was this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GLGKS26/?tag=serious-20

On a positive note, it was also the least expensive. The phone is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I will follow up if there are any issues after I get it setup and in the case, but I suspect it should be fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a heads up for anyone that is going to get an iPhone 12 Pro Max. The phone is slightly taller than the previous Max sized iPhones and most cases won't allow the phone to fit on the 2020 induction charging pad if you do like to use it (personally I love it after going wireless on CarPlay). I ended up ordering a few slim cases on Amazon to see what would work as the phone only allows for about a millimeter of case in total between the top and bottom.

Of the cases I ordered, the only one that fit without pushing it in was this one:

On a positive note, it was also the least expensive. The phone is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I will follow up if there are any issues after I get it setup and in the case, but I suspect it should be fine.
I got the Apple mag safe case. Just a heads up, my 12 pro max will not work on the wireless induction pad. Case or no case, the explorer lets it charge for a few seconds, then an error pops up about the phone being incorrectly positioned, or something being between the phone and pad. I think the MagSafe magnet is interfering with it. Unknown if software can fix.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I got the Apple mag safe case. Just a heads up, my 12 pro max will not work on the wireless induction pad. Case or no case, the explorer lets it charge for a few seconds, then an error pops up about the phone being incorrectly positioned, or something being between the phone and pad. I think the MagSafe magnet is interfering with it. Unknown if software can fix.

Yep, came to report I’m having this issue too. The charging feature is constantly getting interrupted. Attempted to shim up the phone a mm or two to see if that would help and it doesn’t. Either way horizontally doesn’t make a difference. Between this and the underwhelming upgrade from the XS Max, I’m seriously considering returning it.

Yep, came to report I’m having this issue too. The charging feature is constantly getting interrupted. Attempted to shim up the phone a mm or two to see if that would help and it doesn’t. Either way horizontally doesn’t make a difference. Between this and the underwhelming upgrade from the XS Max, I’m seriously considering returning it.
I am considering returning it as well. I am coming from an 8+, so the improvements are keeping me here, for now. On the way home from work today, I was able to get the phone to keep charging, both in the case and out of it, after moving it around a couple times. I did test the phone in my friend’s Hyundai Sonata, with the same result. We tested his phone in both of our vehicles with the same result, and then we were able to get them to keep charging. Seems to be an issue with the phones themselves, since we tried our 8+s with no problems.

I did google the issue, and saw some people reporting charging issues with their home wireless chargers. I think it could be the MagSafe magnet tripping whatever safety measures the charging pads have. I’m wondering if a software update can fix this on the Explorer’s end, but I’m not hopeful. It kind of seems like a way for Apple to control the accessory market again.

I just got my iPhone 12PROMAX yesterday and saw these posts, I went out this morning to test and your absolutely correct the PROMAX with a OEM Apple silicone case is very tight, you have to pry it out.

I let it sit in the wireless charger for about 5 minutes and it kept charging without error so perhaps they have a firmware update or something in my 2021 that the 2020's don't?

I will keep testing to see if I can generate the error.

The Apple case is very nice but looks like I will have to go grab the same slim one you found.

Thanks for posting that case.

I just got my iPhone 12PROMAX yesterday and saw these posts, I went out this morning to test and your absolutely correct the PROMAX with a OEM Apple silicone case is very tight, you have to pry it out.

I let it sit in the wireless charger for about 5 minutes and it kept charging without error so perhaps they have a firmware update or something in my 2021 that the 2020's don't?

I will keep testing to see if I can generate the error.

The Apple case is very nice but looks like I will have to go grab the same slim one you found.

Thanks for posting that case.
I was also able to get the phone to keep charging, in the Apple silicone case, without any problems today as well. I don’t know if the phone updated, but I did download and install the latest update to Sync last night (this could be unrelated).

Hmm it could be the placement in the induction pad too (where it’s forced to be held in that silicon case) or the phone not having a slightly angled orientation on the pad (as the camera forced one side to lift in these ultra-thin cases or when caseless). I’m going to shim the rear back of the phone and top, non-camera corner tomorrow and see if that fixes the charging errors. If that’s the solution I will cut a shim to lay in the middle of the charging pad that will allow the phone to be flat in either direction.

Hmm it could be the placement in the induction pad too (where it’s forced to be held in that silicon case) or the phone not having a slightly angled orientation on the pad (as the camera forced one side to lift in these ultra-thin cases or when caseless). I’m going to shim the rear back of the phone and top, non-camera corner tomorrow and see if that fixes the charging errors. If that’s the solution I will cut a shim to lay in the middle of the charging pad that will allow the phone to be flat in either direction.

So my testing of the charging pad was flawed as I tested while sitting in the driveway. As soon as I went for a drive I got the same error message stating the phone was no longer in contact with the charging pad and charging had stopped. I guess its so tight in there that when the vehicle starts to flex from motion its breaking the phone back contact with the charging pad.

I sent the issue off to some friends in Dearborn, hopefully they are on it.

I’ve identified the issue I believe. So I have the super slim case that allows the phone to go in an out without issue, but I was getting the disconnect warning constantly. Rather than overthinking the issue and working out shims, I folded up a napkin so it was approximately the same thickness as a the camera pop-out. I positioned it in the middle of the back of the phone and placed the phone on the charger. I am no longer getting the error.

As I had thought might be the case, the issue with the charging appears to be that the phone can’t fit in a case that allows it to actually lay flat on the pad and fit in the allotted space. I think the best solution would be a small spacer the depth of the camera pop out that could be placed on the middle of the pad. This would allow the phone to drop in an lay flat and not at a slight angle from the camera bump out. I’ll report back after I screw around more.

Edit: Tolerances might make this fix a bit challenging. I just repeated what had worked for me and I was getting the constant disconnects again. I am going to get a sticky note pad and use that as a spacer and try to figure out the sweet spot with what works, then measure the width with a caliper.

Last edited:

I’ve identified the issue I believe. So I have the super slim case that allows the phone to go in an out without issue, but I was getting the disconnect warning constantly. Rather than overthinking the issue and working out shims, I folded up a napkin so it was approximately the same thickness as a the camera pop-out. I positioned it in the middle of the back of the phone and placed the phone on the charger. I am no longer getting the error.

As I had thought might be the case, the issue with the charging appears to be that the phone can’t fit in a case that allows it to actually lay flat on the pad and fit in the allotted space. I think the best solution would be a small spacer the depth of the camera pop out that could be placed on the middle of the pad. This would allow the phone to drop in an lay flat and not at a slight angle from the camera bump out. I’ll report back after I screw around more.

I just tested my iPhone 12 with Apple case on my desktop wireless charger and I think your assumption is correct, when the bump out camera lens protector ridge is touching charging pad it wont charge. As soon as you adjust the phone flat it charges.

So we need a rubber disc to stick on the middle of the charging pad.

So I ordered the case you recommended and used it yesterday in the wireless charging pad. Your right, it fits into pad OK but as soon as vehicle goes in motion it separates from charging pad and generates the error. I agree it's the bump out protector for the camera lenses causing the separation that leads to a disconnect. We almost need a circular shim in the middle of the case to off set the imbalance of the camera lens protector ridge.

Are you still using that case from Amazon?......I had to bail on it, it's nice and thin but so slippery I drop my phone all the time and when you put it down on anything it slides off easily. I'm going back to the stickier silicone cases and unfortunately never use the Explorer wireless charging pad unless I pop the phone out of the case. At least the IVT team knows about and we might see a fix.

I was scanning other Ford vehicle forums for this issue and the majority are suggesting the charging error is actually an issue with iPhone 12 firmware.

I'm not too sure about that because if you remove the case and lay the phone in there it charges fine, at least mine does.

Obviously doesn't satisfy the iPhone 12 Pro Max fit issue.

Are you still using that case from Amazon?......I had to bail on it, it's nice and thin but so slippery I drop my phone all the time and when you put it down on anything it slides off easily. I'm going back to the stickier silicone cases and unfortunately never use the Explorer wireless charging pad unless I pop the phone out of the case. At least the IVT team knows about and we might see a fix.

Yeah, I ended up ditching it too. It really messed with my grip on the phone and it started breaking at the edges (the lip snapped off in pieces that looked like fingernails). Currently using a cord for CarPlay which is a bug bummer.

Back