• Register Today It's free!

Is a 2nd gen worth restoring?

Brain Bucket

Reaction score
City, State
Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EX | 01 EX Sport
Hi everyone. I have been lurking in these forums for many years.

First some back story.

I got my license when I was older, late bloomer here. First car was a 07 Mustang, I live in Massachusetts so the first winter I got a 2001 2Dr explorer sport and I have got to say, I love the truck, it is my daily driver.

I got it for a decent price, but on it's 2nd year it failed inspection and my mechanic got it passable and told me that it was on it's last year. The rust underneath is apparently so bad that it probably wouldn't pass inspection the next year. That was like 4 years ago.

Truth is it runs fine, but I notice the floor under the gas pedal is being held together by rug. There are rust stains in the areas that you see water running. Now the power locks don't go up or down and I have to force unlock using the key.

Anyhow, the truck has a lot of sentimental value, driving a explorer sport is a lot of fun too. I just now found out that the truck can contend with other trucks and I honestly don't want to part with it.

Do you think the truck is worth restoring? Obviously I have no pics to show of now but I am wondering if it is worth going through and cutting out rust and replacing with good steel. Maybe putting 35" tires and making modifications so I can turn it into just a fun truck to drive around in.

I've always wanted to restore a car for fun. But is it worth restoring a 2001?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's all about how much work you want to put in. I have a completely rust free 02 sport for parts at my shop and I'm sure im not the only one with one on the east coast. It would have a clean frame to swap over and all the body parts you need. Or you could swap your running gear over to it. Parts are cheap, it's just do you want to put the time in it.

Hey, 'Bucket. My opinion is, sentimental value will cost you more than you could ever expect. Having said THAT, I have a 1992 VW Fox, made in Brazil from 1987 to 1993 and with probably fewer than 150,000 units imported into the States, that's my DD. Parts specific to the body/platform are challenging to find and can be a bit pricey, it has plenty of foreign-car quirks (including a TWO-pump fuel system!?) and I can't see ever letting it go. It's my go-to any time I have to drive, even with nicer rides on property. The car is just SO MUCH FUN to drive, and I will spend whatever it takes to keep it going. So, the bottom line is, if your Ex means that much to you, and you don't plan to try and turn a profit on it in the future (hint - you won't), then spend whatever you're comfortable with to make it your own. Just bear in mind what a money pit it can become, and that while you're working on a problem in one area, one or more is likely to pop up somewhere else. As always, that's just my $0.02... Good luck, keep in touch and let us help if we can! - Chris:usa::exp:

Consider taking a trip to GA, or other southern state, to find a nice rust-free runner. They can be had for around $1200 +/- and that way you know the body and frame will be in near-new condition. Then if you want to "restore" it into super nice condition it wont cost you so much or take you years.

I've restored a few classic cars and I've built a few pre-war hot rods. One thing I learned is to always start with the best example you can find. Body work and replacing rusty panels will cost you more in the long run. Just keep in mind the total you'll need to spent vs what it will be worth in the end. No point putting $5000 into a $2500 vehicle and if you total it when you're done your insurance company won't give you squat for it.

I restored an '01 Sport Trac last summer. I bought it cheap (didn't run, needed a windshield and 4 tires...+++) but in the end I'd spent around $2700, including the purchase price, and didn't meet or exceed it's market value. It was a fun project.

Your question of is it worth it can only be answered by you.

Thanks everybody,

I kick myself in the butt now. 2 years ago I was in Florida and saw a 2wd ex 2nd gen that was totally rust free. It was 400 dollars! the steering wheel and interior was a horror show. I wish I had got it when I had the chance.

So, 2 questions now. If I had got that 2wd model would most of the parts on it (even frame) have been useful?

Second. I also own a 1999 4dr 4x4 Ex. Is there any compatibility there? That one is actually pretty strong.

Thanks everybody,

I kick myself in the butt now. 2 years ago I was in Florida and saw a 2wd ex 2nd gen that was totally rust free. It was 400 dollars! the steering wheel and interior was a horror show. I wish I had got it when I had the chance.

So, 2 questions now. If I had got that 2wd model would most of the parts on it (even frame) have been useful?

Second. I also own a 1999 4dr 4x4 Ex. Is there any compatibility there? That one is actually pretty strong.

Many of the mechanical parts are interchangeable between the 2WD and 4x4's, this is true of the 2 and 4 doors as well.

Here's an example of an inexpensive '00 Sport from the Atlanta craigslist.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5428755136.html

I've purchased all my trucks off CL and all but one were trucks that have spent all their entire lives in GA and are totally rust free.

Here's a photo of the '97 2WD Sport I bought almost 2 years ago for $1400.

109_0136_zpszf8cansc.jpg

Very nice example, koda. Almost sounds like 'Bucket might want to find a runner in better condition and use his current Ex as a donor. Viable, as long as the "sentimental value" thing doesn't get in the way. I understand; I wish I still had my first car, from almost 40 years ago.

Back