Is Anyone running a system w/o leaf springs in the back? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is Anyone running a system w/o leaf springs in the back?

ThatExplorerDude

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995&1997 explorer xlt
Is it expensive? Is it hard to install? Im not looking forward to redoing my leafs.. but if its cheaper and lest of a PITA i will look into doing that instead of new leafs... what are possible alternatives to leafs? What do they cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no cheaper alternatives to leafs.

And no simpler option than leafs.

If the cheapest and most simple route is your goal, new leaf packs are definitely the answer.

And no simpler option than leafs.

If the cheapest and most simple route is your goal, new leaf packs are definitely the answer.

Awesome Thanks! I have a bit of Driver-side rear sag.. And I was looking at suspension alternatives and fixing :)

If it's just a little sag, the Monroe shocks with coil springs are a cheap and easy fix.

If it's just a little sag, the Monroe shocks with coil springs are a cheap and easy fix.

both sides in the rear sag.. the driver side just happens to sag a bit lower..

The coil-over shocks will get you an inch or two, and stiffen up the ride a bit.

If you need more, Pro Comp Add-A-Leafs replacing the stock overload leaf are good for a couple inches, but a much harsher ride.

You live in edmonton, check out city spring. They might have some good deals, I know they make their stuff in house and it's on the south side of town

You live in edmonton, check out city spring. They might have some good deals, I know they make their stuff in house and it's on the south side of town

Nice to see another member from Alberta. :) City Spring eh?

I'll take a look an see, nice to see a local supplier :)

The coil-over shocks will get you an inch or two, and stiffen up the ride a bit.

If you need more, Pro Comp Add-A-Leafs replacing the stock overload leaf are good for a couple inches, but a much harsher ride.

Im not too worried about a harsher ride.. although softer is preferred Its not an off road truck at the moment (although 31's or 32's are in the future :)

I havent seen anything for leafs less than $250.00 a side for 4 leafs, so If anyone sees it for cheaper let me know :)

Nice to see another member from Alberta. :) City Spring eh?

I'll take a look an see, nice to see a local supplier :)

It is nice, haven't seen a lot of people from alberta on here. One other option you have is you could go to the wreckers and grab an f150 leaf pack and customize your current pack, I think bucks wants like 25 for one side. Iunno about pick and pull, their always more expansive

It is nice, haven't seen a lot of people from alberta on here. One other option you have is you could go to the wreckers and grab an f150 leaf pack and customize your current pack, I think bucks wants like 25 for one side. Iunno about pick and pull, their always more expansive

Customize my current pack? What do you mean by that??? Im alright using a used set of springs, so long as the leafs are alright an sturdy... What kind of work do you think would be involved?

Customize my current pack? What do you mean by that??? Im alright using a used set of springs, so long as the leafs are alright an sturdy... What kind of work do you think would be involved?

I do believe the thread I'm thinking of is in the 91-94 section but all you have to do is take your pack out, and remove and replace a few leafs with the f150s. I'll have a look around to see if I can find it

Edit: here's the link, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101035

Alright I have been looking at that... It might be a cheaper route... I doubt it will be $20 from bucks auto tho...

I see from bucks auto its $30.00 A leaf

I need 5 per side... and there are 5 trucks from 1981-1989 there.. hopefully one might have the 5 spring pack on it...

Really wish that thread had pictures tho

60 isn't bad at all for a fix, I would of tried this myself, but when I bought my explorer the previous owners had a custom pack made up for it. You might he able to use other springs just have to measure them to make sure they would fit

60 isn't bad at all for a fix, I would of tried this myself, but when I bought my explorer the previous owners had a custom pack made up for it. You might he able to use other springs just have to measure them to make sure they would fit

Nice.. I shall definitely be looking into this.. Unfortunately my truck will look really fun with it being 2 inches higher than in the front.. meaning I have to do a TT lift.. then because Im only running 28's i will need bigger tires too.... sigh that could get expensive fast

another thing.. I know on the rangers of the same year, the mounts for the shocks and springs have a tendency to rot off.

I know because I had to pull the bed on my 97 ranger and replace all the mounts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another thing.. I know on the rangers of the same year, the mounts for the shocks and springs have a tendency to rot off.

I know because I had to pull the bed on my 97 ranger and replace all the mounts.

Makes sense... I took a look under mine. I see surface rust but not holes as of yet.... IM not sure if that means Im safe, but I will be extra mindful.

Another question for those in here that are so helpful... The list of needed things seems to vary with the ford f-150 rear swap.... in laymans terms, what is the simplist (see what I did there? hehe) of things I need for my swap If i decide to go that route?

Springs obvi, Shocks while the leafs are off... a better floor jacks... i have 6 jack stands so I should be good for those, Got chocks... Got a few sets of breaker bars (2 1/2" and 1 3/4") and all those sockets... I dont have a grinder.. so would a wire brush work do you think? I have 2 of those... U bolts? Clamps? The bushings (are they bushings, im not sure) between springs?

Back