Is Ford serious? TSB requires transfer case and driveshaft replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is Ford serious? TSB requires transfer case and driveshaft replacement?

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
I just came across TSB 96-24-16 which says

Some 5.0L Explorers and Mountaineers may experience a vibration in the floor pan at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) and/or at highway speeds of 113+ km/h (70+ mph) due to the design of the driveshaft.

Action:
Replace the front driveshaft and transfer case. The revised driveshaft has a plunging CV joint and the transfer case has been redesigned to accept the revised driveshaft.

What I gather from this: The double-cardan style front shaft causes vibrations, and there's no way to fix it..??

Good thing I just wasted $600 on a new front double-cardan shaft and rebuilt transfer case...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Some", and "may" doesn't mean "yours". Either way it's been 17+ years, rust and wear has pretty much rebalanced the parts in our trucks, other parts have worn which will cause their own vibrations so it's basically a moot point.

Bill

Well that explains why there are only three U-joints under my truck. I kept asking the genius at O'Reillys for the CV joint for the front shaft and he kept telling me it didn't have one, it had 2 U-joints.

I am curious now however... how many explorers actually got the updated T-case and front shaft?

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

That TSB is only for '96 Explorer and '97 Mountaineer that where covered by 'bumper to bumper' warranty.
A 2000 like yours should have the upgraded shaft already.

LoL so the 18 year old genius at O'Reillys was looking at the wrong year explorer. Thanks for the update. When I do replace the tired u-joints next month, should I worry about the CV joint as well?

I think the CV is good as long as the boot doesn't rip, and then it needs to be rebuilt.

Sometime in model year 1997 they switched from a double-cardan joint to a CV-style joint, so yours has the CV.

Ok. Thanks a bunch. Turdle and I are planning on spending a day in January replacing u-joints... good info to have.

Back