Is it possible to take the whole 4x4 w/e off? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to take the whole 4x4 w/e off?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
My 92 EB EX's 4x4 i think is pretty much toast, more than i paid for the truck to fix it, plus i really never used it, well i cant, plus i never really needed to,

would i be able to like take like the front driveshaft or w/e off?

im not the best with part's names, anyone do this before?

it would probably drop quite a few pounds too.

Anyone know any where any tuts or anything are?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could pull the drive shaft but i would leave the rest alone. i think it would be to much work to convert it to a 2wd. i cannot renember how th transfercase and tranny are a ttached to each other but you might be able to pull the transfercase without to much work. i would get someone elses opinion on this one though

Transfer case

The T-Case is held to the tranny with 6 bolts I believe. But if you took that off you would have to change the output shaft and find the right parts off of a two wheel drive.

If you only wanted/needed a 2wd it is a bit of work but I would sudgest removing the t/case you could sell it also, you will have to get and adapter from your tranny to driveaxle but there are lots of companies that could make you one, just remove the fron't drive axle and diff and the fron't drive axle. then you would just run on the outter wheel hubs (these bolt onto the knuckle and the disc gets installed onto that with barrings) then you just bolt your wheel on. Get your self a set of center caps or you can just install the 4X4 hubs so it covers up that hole you will have in the center of your wheel and keep crap out of your barrings. Not too much work once you have the adapter and remove the t/case and diff you could get this all done in a day, 8hrs if your slow I'd say.

If you remove the drive axles there will be a hole on the back side of your spindle which will funnel road dirt strait into your wheel bearings.Without a transfer case you will have to get the 2wd tailshaft for your transmission and the correct housing and yoke assembly as well as a new rear driveshaft. to install the new tailshaft you have to completely dissasemble the transmission as it's the last piece that comes out.
Sell it and buy a 2wd or fix it.It will be cheaper and you will still have something worth selling.

yeah nevermind about all that, Im not the best with parts, and theyre names and what they are/do and all that, im only 16, but when I bought the Explorer, he said EVERYTHING worked, but come to find out the 4x4 didnt, when I press the button, i can hear some movement under the truck (if the engines not running) (with the key on) but then when its actually running, and i press it, the steering gets REALLY stiff, and the truck literally like bounces up and down like my wheels are ovals instead of circles, and it makes grinding noises and all that.

And Ccutler, I dont have a job right now, well I had an interview, and im still waitin for her to call me back, supposedly I got the job, but long story short, I dont have any money so I wouldnt want you to come out and help me do whatever, with me not being able to pay you.

I guess when I thought about all this, I didnt think ENOUGH, It just seemed like it would be a lot of weight off of the truck and idk.

**What could I do myself, without buying anything, or welding or making parts, and do you know of any write ups? Or How-To's?
Thanks guys :)

I wouldn't want any money. I would come and help you or have you come to my house. I could check some common problems out for you (stuff I have already spent time fiquring out.) Let me know.

Well thats awesome man, but lets wait a bit, and see what happens, im not home much lately besides nighttime. If anything, ill PM you

How does the truck run in 2H? If the truck runs in 2H fine then I wouldn't waste any time or effort converting removing anything. As for pressing 4x4 and hearing grinding noises and feeling the steering get hard that is what happens when you're in 4x4.. The system has tremendous traction and SHOULD NEVER BE DRIVEN ON PAVEMENT. Doing so will cause torque wind up within the drive train, which leads to wheel hoping, chatter, very hard steering (cornering), and breakage.

yeah, but all 4 wheels dont spin, but driving in 2x4 is just fine; but if thats the case, then 4 wheel drive has improved a sh*t load, because ive driven my moms, and uncles f1/250's in 4h and 4L and they felt nothing like mine, they felt the same basically as 2x4

yeah, but all 4 wheels dont spin, but driving in 2x4 is just fine; but if thats the case, then 4 wheel drive has improved a sh*t load, because ive driven my moms, and uncles f1/250's in 4h and 4L and they felt nothing like mine, they felt the same basically as 2x4

FYI (4X2) no biggy, but yes it has improved lots however it also depends on the transmission, I have noticed a difference between Std and Auto's also the auto's (never will be a fan!) are smoother feeling due to the torque converters and computer systems that control them.

What you feel when you put into 4wd is normal, and all 4 wheels don't turn because you probably have open diffs like most stock X's do. You don't want to use 4wd on pavement either, it gets to work breaking s*** real fast.

I would just leave it in and not worry about it, when it's not on it's not effecting anything. Just run it 2H and forget about it. Besides it'll still be there when you need it.

but it doesnt work, this winter, i got stuck in some pathetic places, like my driveway, and neighborhood entrance, so i kicked it on, front wheels being on straight up pavement, backwheels on the snow and my back wheels just spin and i dont move

Take a peek at the 4x4 troubleshooting thread for info and pics on diagnosing 4x4 issues. If you have stock autohubs then one or both could be busted. If one is busted then 4x4 will do nothing.., but you'd need to inspect the front driveshaft and axle shafts to verify they are still intact in in good working order..

Look at the trouble shooting links, and read up on the 4x4. If you need help fixing things PM me, im close . . ish and there are junkyards a plenty to find parts

sounds like you might have busted hubs. (the things in the center of your wheels that say 4x4) these lock the front axles when 4x4 in engaged and are very commonly broken. (just busted 1 yesturday lol) they are easy to replace and easy to diagnose. Have a friend look under your truck (at a safe distance!!) while you put it in 4x4. start to move forward. What he is looking for is whether or not the axle turns while the wheel is not.

But if you don't use the 4x4, take the advise of a Master Technician and just leave it alone, it's not worth the trouble and you don't want to make things worse

Back