Is it possible to use the factory sub amp with an aftermarket HU with line-level outp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to use the factory sub amp with an aftermarket HU with line-level outp

BeachTech

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited AWD 5.0 V8
I have searched everywhere on this site and the web and can’t find the answer to this. I have a Pioneer 4500 Head Unit that like most high-end units, has both speaker and line-level outputs. I want to use the line-out from the HU to power the factory subwoofer amplifier, and use the speaker level outputs to power the rest of the speakers.

By the use of my multimeter, there are two lines of 5 volts out of the factory HU that goes to the factory sub amp. If this is how the sub amp turns on, I can build something to convert 12v power antenna lead from the aftermarket HU to 5v to trick the factory sub amp to turn on. I assume that the other lines are the line-level input to the factory sub amp.

I know there is a lot of info on bypassing the amp, but I don’t want to have to install another amp and run the associated wiring.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the wiring I used to wire my jvc headunit to the factory sub woofer amp

I used rca connectors attached to the left and right pre-outs.
I took the center wire from the left rca connector and hooked it to the "subwoofer +" then I took the right rca connector shield and hooked it to the "subwoofer -". The power to turn on the amp came from a switched red wire going into my radio. I slpiced into this wire and attached it to the "audio mute"

This has been working great for my 98 Eddie Bauer.
The base is more than sufficent for my ears.

cadbike3,
OK, I pulled out my radio again yesterday. The connector that seems to go to the sub amp has 4 wires on it. Green/red, Black, Black/orange, and Blue/red. Do you know which is Sub+, Sub-, and amp power? I took a multi-meter and a walkman to try to find which is the turn-on power and which is the input. I could not figure it out. 2 of these wires (I believe it is the Green/Red and the Black/orange) have 5 volts on them. Also, Black/orange may be related to the input of the amp.

That is about all I have been able to figure out. Please help!

The color of the wires must have changed for 2000 however here is my wiring

pin #1 (r/bk) red/black = sub +

Pin #2 (br/o) brown/orange = sub -

pin #3 (bk) black = ground

pin #4 (dg/p) dk green/purple = audio mute

I have a ford repair cd which I pulled this info from.
I do not have a way of posting the diagram although, I could e-mail it to you, if it would help.

IT WORKED!! After looking at the wires carefully with more light, they were as cadbike3 wrote. I hooked it up as follows:

pin #1 (r/bk) red/black = sub + (connected to right rear line-level out + from head unit)

Pin #2 (br/o) brown/orange = sub - (connected to right rear line-level out shield from head unit)

pin #3 (bk) black = ground (did not connect to anything)

pin #4 (dg/p) dk green/purple = audio mute (connected to amp turn-on from head unit)

Sounds really great.

This is GREAT info. But - does anyone have a picture of the actual connector on the sub amp since I don't have the connector or the color wires indicated here? I never had the stock sub, I bought it and the stock sub amp from another member without the connector and need to figure out the pinouts so I can wire it myself.

Thanks!

i know this thread is old...

But has anybody else had success doing this? Just got my new head unit today and I hope I can use my stock sub without doing a whole bunch of other crap.

Back