• Register Today It's free!

Is it time for new wiper arms ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I've got a 2001 Explorer XLT with 162K miles. Have owned in since 2003. Sits outside all the time.

My windshield wipers simply dont make good, solid contact with the windshield. I've tried new wiper blades, and the blades are not the issue.

Last winter, I removed the wiper arms, kinda cleaned them up, lubed the pivot point, and got it to the point of being 'good enough' to survive. I'm not sure thats gonna cut it this year.

When I fold up the wiper arm, there is quite a bit of 'slop' in how the arm attaches to the wiper motor. Should I just replace the wiper arm ? Or could the problem be in the wiper motor 'post' that the arm attaches to ? Are there any mods that I can make to take out the 'slop', such as bend/adjust the mechanism that clips to the wiper motor post ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

short answer - yes, it's time.

The springs are stretched after that much time, you need new arms. I know it because I am there too :)

So the 'slop' in the arm mount is not a concern ? Or the spring compensates for that ?

I can understand the spring resolving the issue if this thing sat solidly on the post. But I'm concerned that the sloppy post connection will defeat the benefit of the spring.

Maybe the female end of the arm is worn out, too ?

Yes get them, it made a world of difference on my '96. For under $30 it is totally worth it.

Anyone have a source on the front wiper control arms? 30 bucks sounds about right but I'm coming up empty except for an obscure ebay post for only the RH one. (and of course rear ones from all over) Napa doesn't show a listing for fronts at all. Are the dealer ones only 30 bucks?

Please disregard. P/N: = 1L2Z-17526-DA for both left and right (near as I can tell.)

Back