• Register Today It's free!

Is it worth it?

mrmech82

Reaction score
City, State
kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.9 zj
So my buddy is selling is 2002 explorer xlt awd 4.0 v6. He lost the keys for it, but this thing is in really bad shape. To start, it sounds to me (I have not heard it) but the motor is shot. Lost compression and a metallic sound, so probably blew a rod or main bearing. It also, has the following issues. Tires all shot bald, big dent on rear hatch, driver window doesn't work, radio is broken, the rest of the exterior is rough. The paint is still shiney, but it has smaller dents and scratches. It has about 150xxx on it. He is moving out of his house at the end of this month and he will sell it to me for $1000. Clean and clear title. Is it worth it? I am not very familiar with the newer explorer's. Would it be worth it to part out? Or worth it to slap in another v6? I know the transmission is ok, for now, and the t/c works. I just have no idea how much this thing is worth, or if its worth my time. I can do all the mechanical work myself at my shop, so I would only have to buy parts. And whatever special tools I don't have. And the $125 for new keys. I was just wanting opinions on this new project, if I should buy it or not. He lives like 30 min away, so I won't be able to get pics for a little while, but its red and narsty lookin. Thanks!

If you're buying it for yourself, it might. If you're buying it to sell and make some money, I say pass.

ya, I wouldn't be keeping it. I love my zj to much. I have had problems trying to value this thing. I can't find anywhere almost an explorer with a blown motor, just to find some sort of worth. I didn't know if a $1000 was a good deal or not. If I knew how to do body work, I would probably already have it and have the motor out.

Back